Proud owner of a new (to me!) 2003 WRX, but need to ditch the BOV...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Proud owner of a new (to me!) 2003 WRX, but need to ditch the BOV... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; And she's a beast! I'm still going over all the work that's been done to it, but as indicated by ...

Proud owner of a new (to me!) 2003 WRX, but need to ditch the BOV...

And she's a beast! I'm still going over all the work that's been done to it, but as indicated by my username, it has an STi 6 speed transmission swap done, along with suspension and exhaust.

My current concern is the CEL that seems to be coming from the MAF sensor, and I'm almost positive after all the reading I've done, that it has to be the HKS blowoff valve. With everyone else's experiences running a full vent to atmosphere setup instead of recirculating, it's clear to me that I need to either get an OEM bypass valve or to find an aftermarket one that recirculates.

I've found an OEM version here Subaru OEM Compressor Bypass Valve - Subaru OEM Engine but at $179 that seems a little steep. Anyone know of any better options to get this fixed? The car is running the stock turbo still so I'm just trying to get the least expensive option that will resolve the CEL :]

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to being active on here!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats on the car hope you have good luck with it. Hopefully the previous owner has changed the catted up pipe. Im not sure I would have gone with one which had a tranny swap but hope it works out. If an OEM valve is too expensive I would get one that's full recirculation. If you dont mind a used one they range from $30+
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Thanks, I'm really loving it, but it does have some hesitation sometimes, and I'm hoping the switch to a BPV will alleviate that.

What's the best source for a used OEM one? So long as it's in decent shape I wouldn't mind going that route for the time being... I tried looking through eBay and couldn't find anything at that price. Is there some place else I should look specifically, or just call around junk yards?

I Support ClubWRX
    I dont know much about HKS but maybe you can get the Recirc kit

HKS USA SSQV Recirculation Kit

The OEM valve is a recirculation not blow off

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-04-05-...9e3357&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-07-Subaru...708292&vxp=mtr
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Welcome!

What other work has been done to the car?

What's the CEL code?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I'm going to watch that first auction and see if I can grab it!

The dealer checked the code and said it's from the MAF sensor, saying it's running rich. I'm not sure if it has the catted up-pipe changed or not... I'll have to take some pictures of the engine bay.

Time to run outside for a few minutes!

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    What's the exhaust setup on it? If it has an aftermarket downpipe, then find out if it's tuned or not. It won't "hurt" your year model subaru to not tune it, but you also wont gain any power if it ain't been done.

If you tell us the code number, P-followed by the number, it would help us get a better idea of what to suggest to you.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The MAF sensor can't tell if it's running rich or lean.. and I doubt the BOV would cause it to throw a code, unless it's leaking really bad (which the SSQV is known to do sometimes).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.