Question about break in oil and transmission fluid changes
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question about break in oil and transmission fluid changes within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; When is a good time for the first oil change and transmission fluid change? Would you guys do the oil ...

Question about break in oil and transmission fluid changes

When is a good time for the first oil change and transmission fluid change? Would you guys do the oil change at 1000 miles? I remember on the Evo forums people talked about getting the transmission fluid changed earlier because the synchros were getting broken in and they would find shavings. Could also be from the SST transmission because that is what they really suggested the early change on.

Not sure if an earlier trans fluid change is reccommended on these as well. Any input is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You have two options:

1. Follow the owners manual with the following caveat: As far as going 7.5K miles between oil changes, I would advise against that. The wording in the manual is suggestive that that's the longest you could go...this is assuming that you still have oil left by then (remember your turbo will consume some oil). The advice I got from a Subaru Parts Manager (who happens to be a WRX STI enthusiast and owns his own garage) suggested a 3.75K mile oil change interval. That's what I'm following.

2. You could simply do the first oil change at 3.75K miles or sooner and have Blackstone do a UOA. They'll tell you what interval you should follow based on the UOA results. They'll even tell you if you should change oil brands.

Tranny fluid isn't getting changed until the interval required by the owners manual.

Doing fluid changes more often than necessary is just a waste of money.

3,750 seems like overkill with full synthetic IMO.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think i would really feel comfortable waiting until 7000+ miles to do an oil change. I think the 3000-4000 range makes me feel better. I won't put many miles on it anyway just trying to prepare for when it gets here.

I Support ClubWRX
    I changed the tranny fluid on mine at 30K very simple just need to get the correct Torqux bit. I get my oil changed around the 5500+ miles synthetic shouldn't need to be changed that early but im not 100% on that.

DIY: Transmission Fluid Change
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Thanks for the link and input!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.