Future 2006 WRX owner - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 55 of 55

This is a discussion on Future 2006 WRX owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If the previous owner said that he changed the fluids himself, without a reciept of a shop or dealer doing ...

  1. #46
    Registered User WRX-maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western Maryland
    Posts
    243
    If the previous owner said that he changed the fluids himself, without a reciept of a shop or dealer doing it, I would be skeptical to say the least. Change them again, as well as all the milage maintenance due. Good luck, and congrats on the car!
    2011 WRX hatch in WRB---Stage2: **Stink-eye Mob #301**--- Mods:Invidia Q300, Invidia catted DP, perrin CAI, grimmspeed turbo heat shield, v3 accessport, subaru short throw shifter, momo shift knob, subaru red footwell illumination, subaru black SE wrx side badges, perrin front license plate delete plate, grimmspeed front license plate relocator, perrin shorty antenna, and RA mudflaps. Stage 2 tune from Perrin Performance

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    24

    Exclamation Engine pics

    Cant wait to get the car on the road. I am dropping the car off at a shop tonight, so hopefully I can get it back by Friday. Here are some pictures of the engine. Sorry about some blurry images, camera had a hard time focusing in tight spaces. Please let me know if you see something out of place guys.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_0374.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	117873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_0375.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	117881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_0376.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	117889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_0378.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	117897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_0379.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	117905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_0380.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	117913Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_0382.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	117921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_0383.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	117929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_0384.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	117937Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_0385.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	117945
    2006 WRX purchased 10/5 - weekend beast.
    2013 Hyundai Veloster turbo - daily driver.

  4. #48
    Lando Calrissian DemonWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cloud City, Bespin
    Posts
    3,078
    I Support ClubWRX
    For the most part it does look rather stock and complete. It is rather odd that they would have added a turbo timer and nothing else, but possible I guess.


    These two pics bother me though. What the hell is that cloth and table looking thing? Looks like a poor hose patch attempt to me.


    Quote Originally Posted by Terad View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_0383.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	117929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_0384.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	117937
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

  5. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    24
    Yeah, that was the only thing that looks out of place. Too bad I only noticed it this morning.
    Going to run Torqe app and see if there a boost leak, or something like it.
    2006 WRX purchased 10/5 - weekend beast.
    2013 Hyundai Veloster turbo - daily driver.

  6. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    24
    Here a Torque app shot. I was just driving around the neighborhood and according to the app my highest boost value was 15. Kind of surprised that it dropped so low -27, but that might be normal for WRX. My veloster's lowest value was -22; highest was 19. Im suspecting WRX might have a small vacuum leak.
    2006 WRX purchased 10/5 - weekend beast.
    2013 Hyundai Veloster turbo - daily driver.

  7. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    24
    So, she's still in the shop; when they tried to put on the exhaust, front pipe where cat-back would attach, is too rusted and was causing a leak at the joint. On monday the shop will try to get the part which appears to cost about $500 because it has a built in catalytic

    I was thinking about just getting Invidia catted downpipe, but I dont think that would get me through the emission inspection.

    Just saw this on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-2314...productDetails . Can save about $200 right there.
    Last edited by Terad; 10-12-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    2006 WRX purchased 10/5 - weekend beast.
    2013 Hyundai Veloster turbo - daily driver.

  8. #52
    Lando Calrissian DemonWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cloud City, Bespin
    Posts
    3,078
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well, Maryland is a CARB state now, so that means 'oem grade' cats are required.....BUT:

    Technically, you are only allowed to change your cat if your stock one is failing or damaged. Yours is, so covered there. (note that almost no one pays any attention to this law, but it is technically speaking against federal EPA law to remove any properly working piece of emissions equipment, even if you are replacing it with another working piece)

    It seems from the MD motor vehicle site that you should not be required to take a 'sniffer' test. They should basically just hook a device to your OBDII port and ask your ECU if it is running right. This means that you should be able to pass without issue with the Invidia catted downpipe. Note that you would need a tune for the high flow cat.

    This also means that you may be able to pass with a catless downpipe if you can find a shop that either will skip physical inspection of the exhaust system, or a shop that employs dumb techs that will think a resonator is a cat (trust me, they are out there).

    If you plan on modding and going stage 2, there is no point in buying a new OEM grade cat, then a high flow downpipe...just get the high flow one.

    Maybe we can get a few of our MD members to chime in with their experiences passing emissions. You could also drop a post on Nasioc's regional forum for the MD area for input or mod friendly inspection station locations.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

  9. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Well, Maryland is a CARB state now, so that means 'oem grade' cats are required.....BUT:

    Technically, you are only allowed to change your cat if your stock one is failing or damaged. Yours is, so covered there. (note that almost no one pays any attention to this law, but it is technically speaking against federal EPA law to remove any properly working piece of emissions equipment, even if you are replacing it with another working piece)

    It seems from the MD motor vehicle site that you should not be required to take a 'sniffer' test. They should basically just hook a device to your OBDII port and ask your ECU if it is running right. This means that you should be able to pass without issue with the Invidia catted downpipe. Note that you would need a tune for the high flow cat.

    This also means that you may be able to pass with a catless downpipe if you can find a shop that either will skip physical inspection of the exhaust system, or a shop that employs dumb techs that will think a resonator is a cat (trust me, they are out there).

    If you plan on modding and going stage 2, there is no point in buying a new OEM grade cat, then a high flow downpipe...just get the high flow one.

    Maybe we can get a few of our MD members to chime in with their experiences passing emissions. You could also drop a post on Nasioc's regional forum for the MD area for input or mod friendly inspection station locations.
    Emission inspection stations in MD are run by the state, not private parties. So it would be difficult to "wing it". They also do a visual inspection of the piping, which is the main reason I went with MagnaFlow CCs. I am not going Stage 2 until spring and I am banking on some discounts on COBB AP around Christmas time.
    I know its kind of counterproductive and PITA, but I plan on keeping the stock DP to change out Invidia catted DP every 2 yrs for emission inspections.
    2006 WRX purchased 10/5 - weekend beast.
    2013 Hyundai Veloster turbo - daily driver.

  10. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    These two pics bother me though. What the hell is that cloth and table looking thing? Looks like a poor hose patch attempt to me.
    Forgot to ask earlier, where can I find this replacement hose?
    I plan on getting http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Samc...Hose-Kit-Black, but I dont think this particular hose is included in the kit.

    Edit: So it appears that sponge wrap is a stock thing on 2006 WRX (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...90&postcount=1) and Samco hoses will replace that piece. Although, I can get Mishimoto silicone hose kit for $122 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMHO...MHOSE-SUB-INT6).
    Last edited by Terad; 10-13-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    2006 WRX purchased 10/5 - weekend beast.
    2013 Hyundai Veloster turbo - daily driver.

  11. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    24

    Smile Finally ...

    I got the car back from the shop, lots of work done on it. Including Invidia Q300 exhaust, which by the way is really nice. Quiet in the cabin, no drone at all, but it lets you hear that nice flat four engine sound loud and clear. Only other sporty car I can compare 2006 WRX to is my Veloster turbo. WRX handles almost as good as my Veloster, but the ride is more comfortable and WRX does not beat me up when going over small bumps on the road. Its faster than my Veloster, but it does not stop as fast and brake pedal feels a little too squishy for my taste. And OMG the clutch pedal is so freaking hard, I feel like I've done 200 squats on my left leg only.
    All-in-all, I am overly happy with the car, its too nice to start modding it.
    Last edited by Terad; 10-18-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    2006 WRX purchased 10/5 - weekend beast.
    2013 Hyundai Veloster turbo - daily driver.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •