Future 2006 WRX owner - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Future 2006 WRX owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax Poor car is about to get riced Please read the links that I've posted and research ...

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Poor car is about to get riced

Please read the links that I've posted and research the mods I've highlighted above. I'd strongly recommend against what's listed.
    Re: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply - A few isolated incidents of inexperienced folks installing HID kits hardly makes the case. Daniel's supporting documentation dates back to 2002, HID kits have come a long way since then. An HID kit that pulls power directly from a battery through a relay harness posses no risk to factory wiring/electronics. Diode Dynamics uses Precision HIDs which have been around the community for a while and the brand is well respected.

Seriously, how different is COBB pulley from " Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley" that you have installed; COBB BoV as opposed to "TXS 50/50 Hybrid BOV/BPV"?
    I want my gauges in an a-pillar pod because I dont want then on the dash - just a personal preference. And I want a Seibon CF hood because it looks bad ass, end of story.

If you want to voice your opposing opinion, then do so in a constructive manner. Only stating "I'd strongly recommend against what's listed" without a coherent reasoning is a BS statement.

There is always one guy on the forum that thinks everyone else should mod their cars based on his opinion. Personally, I dont like Rally Armor knock off mud flaps, but that is just me.
    Last edited by Terad; 10-03-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    2015 WRX WR Blue

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Terad View Post
    Re: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply - A few isolated incidents of inexperienced folks installing HID kits hardly makes the case. Daniel's supporting documentation dates back to 2002, HID kits have come a long way since then. An HID kit that pulls power directly from a battery through a relay harness posses no risk to factory wiring/electronics. Diode Dynamics uses Precision HIDs which have been around the community for a while and the brand is well respected.

Seriously, how different is COBB pulley from " Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley" that you have installed; COBB BoV as opposed to "TXS 50/50 Hybrid BOV/BPV"?
    I want my gauges in an a-pillar pod because I dont want then on the dash - just a personal preference. And I want a Seibon CF hood because it looks bad ass, end of story.

If you want to voice your opposing opinion, then do so in a constructive manner. Only stating "I'd strongly recommend against what's listed" without a coherent reasoning is a BS statement.

There is always one guy on the forum that thinks everyone else should mod their cars based on his opinion. Personally, I dont like Rally Armor knock off mud flaps, but that is just me.
    It's an online opinion, deal with it.

I own a lightweight crank pulley, and I wouldn't spend the money on it personally. I purchased the pulley because my stock pulley was rusted and shredding the accessory belts. Compared to the OEM piece, the Perrin pulley was 50% the cost.

The BOV is a bad plan. Read about BOVs on MAF fueled vehicles. I'm not happy about having to use the 50/50 BOV. When I purchased my TMIC, the previous-previous owner had stripped out the bolts on the BPV mount. As a result, he had enlarged the bolt holes on the TMIC and 50/50 BOV. The stock BPV will no longer fit on the TMIC.

My car is worse for these mods. I speak from experience. What do you speak from?

As far as the HIDs... you're still not comprehending the point. The fundamental difference comes from the dispersion pattern of the light. I don't care how "respected" diode dynamics is... your car hasn't been retrofitted for those HIDs. It's the same as every other ricer on the road with "quality HIDs" claiming they're "dope." The car was not designed for those lights; don't push the boundary of safety.

There's your coherent statement. You're the new guy here, and you're not off to a good start.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't put HIDs in Halogen housings

Sent from my Galaxy S4 (typo, schmypo)
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Terad - first off, welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Second, while some of us are sarcasic arses, we do mean well and speak from experiance. There are a few 'hot button' issues for each of the veterens, so don't be suprised if someone lashes out every now and then, it is not meant to be any sort of attack. Examples are:

smoked or darkened tail lights
    use of a BOV (vent to atmosphere) without a properly built and speed density tuned setup
    installing HID bulbs or kits without a full retrofit to make them safe for oncoming traffic
    'hellaflush'
    'ebay special' parts
    'Agency Power' brand anything

As for your CF hood, some will give you flack for that, but it is personal taste more than anything unless they are pointing out how important proper hood closures are or some other safety related concern. The pilar pod thing, again, your taste. I want one for mine, but sadly no one makes an injection molded one for the 3rd gens, so the only option is some guy who epoxies on a few pods and uses bondo to blend, then paints....no thank you.

Now, on to your chosen path....

Before you go all Cobb think about it. There is nothing 'wrong' with cobb per sei, but they are not really the bee's knees for everything. Many parts from Cobb, like Perrin, are a bit over priced for what they are and you are paying for the name. There is nothing wrong with going all one brand, but many who start off that way then start venturing out and start selling off their branded part for another replacement when they could have just gone with the other part to start with and saved a little money and time along the way.

The Cobb light pulley...I have one...it doesn't do a whole lot in the case of a turbo car, but I just 'had to have it'. I will say that if I was to buy that part again, I would get the GrimmSpeed one instead. Infact, I may do that next year. The GS one is $20 cheaper, and has better quality finish than the Cobb. The stocker is 4.6lbs, the GS is 2.2lbs, the Cobb is 1.25lbs and the Perrin is 1.2lbs....what does this mean? Well, you will have faster revving with a lighter pulley, but go too light and you will have an odd loping idle (and I don't mean 3/4 race cam V8 lope) with a slight studder at initial acceleration. The GS one does not seem to produce that as much while still giving the faster revs. So, I may be selling my Cobb pulley, it is blue, if you are interested, let me know.

For HIDs, the full retrofit kits found at TheRetrofitSource.com are highly regarded in the Subie comunities....just make sure you go with a retrofit not a 'slap this bulb in and go' type of garbage. Not only will it be safer, it will also perform much better. (this is on my short list as well)

For the Cobb AP, those are great, no doubt. Before you spend the money though, see if anyone is selling a used one, and also think if you will want to go with open-source tuning rather than Cobb....just something to mull over.

Invidia Q300, do some research, perferably by locating a local Subie owner with that setup and take a ride. While they are good, they are not cheap, and you want to make sure it is something you can live with long term. Some model years the Q300 has been known to drone a bit.

Tein coils, those are good (from what I have read, still on stock suspension myself).

Basically, if you want our input or opinions on a mod, don't get attached to any particular one right off the bat. Come in here and and be like 'I am thinking about doing this mod, is it worth it, and what brand/model would you suggest'.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Welcome bro. I'm new myself. Hope you get the car and everything goes well.
    2014 Subaru WRX Hatch - White

The hood....thats ok....I can deal with that but that wing....oh god please no...haha! In the end it's your car so do whatever makes you happy!

Though the subtle approach looks good too...no wing and what not.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

The way it looked when I bought it.

The way I made it look...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    The hood....thats ok....I can deal with that but that wing....oh god please no...haha! In the end it's your car so do whatever makes you happy!

Though the subtle approach looks good too...no wing and what not.
    I agree with you and subtlety would be the route I would take if I intent to make WRX my daily driver. I plan to go bananas with, to a point. WRX will be my project car.
    I know the wing is a little over the top, but I like it. I am going for the look at 2:03 in MCM video below.
    Singapore Car Scene - YouTube
    2015 WRX WR Blue

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Chris, I've always loved the look of the vane spoiler and limited trunk lip. Your car has always been one of my favorite Hawkeyes
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree with you and subtlety would be the route I would take if I intent to make WRX my daily driver. I plan to go bananas with, to a point. WRX will be my project car.
    I know the wing is a little over the top, but I like it. I am going for the look at 2:03 in MCM video below.
    Singapore Car Scene - YouTube
    A fellow MCM fan!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Future 2006 WRX owner

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Chris, I've always loved the look of the vane spoiler and limited trunk lip. Your car has always been one of my favorite Hawkeyes
    Thanks! The only "crazy" thing I have is the front lip...I like it though!
    Last edited by lytlec; 10-04-2013 at 06:50 AM.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Terad - first off, welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Second, while some of us are sarcasic arses, we do mean well and speak from experiance. There are a few 'hot button' issues for each of the veterens, so don't be suprised if someone lashes out every now and then, it is not meant to be any sort of attack. Examples are:

smoked or darkened tail lights
    use of a BOV (vent to atmosphere) without a properly built and speed density tuned setup
    installing HID bulbs or kits without a full retrofit to make them safe for oncoming traffic
    'hellaflush'
    'ebay special' parts
    'Agency Power' brand anything

As for your CF hood, some will give you flack for that, but it is personal taste more than anything unless they are pointing out how important proper hood closures are or some other safety related concern. The pilar pod thing, again, your taste. I want one for mine, but sadly no one makes an injection molded one for the 3rd gens, so the only option is some guy who epoxies on a few pods and uses bondo to blend, then paints....no thank you.

Now, on to your chosen path....

Before you go all Cobb think about it. There is nothing 'wrong' with cobb per sei, but they are not really the bee's knees for everything. Many parts from Cobb, like Perrin, are a bit over priced for what they are and you are paying for the name. There is nothing wrong with going all one brand, but many who start off that way then start venturing out and start selling off their branded part for another replacement when they could have just gone with the other part to start with and saved a little money and time along the way.

The Cobb light pulley...I have one...it doesn't do a whole lot in the case of a turbo car, but I just 'had to have it'. I will say that if I was to buy that part again, I would get the GrimmSpeed one instead. Infact, I may do that next year. The GS one is $20 cheaper, and has better quality finish than the Cobb. The stocker is 4.6lbs, the GS is 2.2lbs, the Cobb is 1.25lbs and the Perrin is 1.2lbs....what does this mean? Well, you will have faster revving with a lighter pulley, but go too light and you will have an odd loping idle (and I don't mean 3/4 race cam V8 lope) with a slight studder at initial acceleration. The GS one does not seem to produce that as much while still giving the faster revs. So, I may be selling my Cobb pulley, it is blue, if you are interested, let me know.

For HIDs, the full retrofit kits found at TheRetrofitSource.com are highly regarded in the Subie comunities....just make sure you go with a retrofit not a 'slap this bulb in and go' type of garbage. Not only will it be safer, it will also perform much better. (this is on my short list as well)

For the Cobb AP, those are great, no doubt. Before you spend the money though, see if anyone is selling a used one, and also think if you will want to go with open-source tuning rather than Cobb....just something to mull over.

Invidia Q300, do some research, perferably by locating a local Subie owner with that setup and take a ride. While they are good, they are not cheap, and you want to make sure it is something you can live with long term. Some model years the Q300 has been known to drone a bit.

Tein coils, those are good (from what I have read, still on stock suspension myself).

Basically, if you want our input or opinions on a mod, don't get attached to any particular one right off the bat. Come in here and and be like 'I am thinking about doing this mod, is it worth it, and what brand/model would you suggest'.
    Thank you informative feedback. I have been around the tuner community since I got my Si in 2003. So I am aware of the modding game and pain that comes with it, but I do appreciate sincere opinion and lessons learned from the folks that were there before me. I am not new to tuning and forums, but completely new to Subies. Therefore my apologies to zax, but know where I come from; I left the Si community because of douches who took it personal if you dont mod your car the way they like it. Let me buy you a beer zax and we move on

HIDs - I have Diode Dynamics on my VT and they are great. Side-by-side Precision HIDs look the same as Morimoto HIDs. However, if retrofit HIDs are the best choice for 06 WRX, then Morimoto HIDs it is. At the time I was buying HIDs, retrofit did not have them for the Veloster, so I went with the next best thing.

Exhaust system - Reason I thought Invidia Q300 would be good, is because I read reviews and folks have said that is does not drone and is quieter than COBB turboback. Not sure if this is true, but if you guys know of a turboback that does not drone, please let me know. I am willing to spend more $$ on an exhaust system that does not drone.

COBB AP - reason I like it is because it takes the guess work out. I know what I need to do for each stage. Im aware it is expensive, but I want ECU management that is stable and delivers results. At this point, $$ is not a big issue, but I do have a modding budget/limit. I am open to recommendations here.

Bov - I dont need to get COBB. Personally, I would prefer HKS. I know they are just noise makers, but I love the noise.
    2015 WRX WR Blue

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you informative feedback. I have been around the tuner community since I got my Si in 2003. So I am aware of the modding game and pain that comes with it, but I do appreciate sincere opinion and lessons learned from the folks that were there before me. I am not new to tuning and forums, but completely new to Subies. Therefore my apologies to zax, but know where I come from; I left the Si community because of douches who took it personal if you dont mod your car the way they like it. Let me buy you a beer zax and we move on

HIDs - I have Diode Dynamics on my VT and they are great. Side-by-side Precision HIDs look the same as Morimoto HIDs. However, if retrofit HIDs are the best choice for 06 WRX, then Morimoto HIDs it is. At the time I was buying HIDs, retrofit did not have them for the Veloster, so I went with the next best thing.

Exhaust system - Reason I thought Invidia Q300 would be good, is because I read reviews and folks have said that is does not drone and is quieter than COBB turboback. Not sure if this is true, but if you guys know of a turboback that does not drone, please let me know. I am willing to spend more $$ on an exhaust system that does not drone.

COBB AP - reason I like it is because it takes the guess work out. I know what I need to do for each stage. Im aware it is expensive, but I want ECU management that is stable and delivers results. At this point, $$ is not a big issue, but I do have a modding budget/limit. I am open to recommendations here.

Bov - I dont need to get COBB. Personally, I would prefer HKS. I know they are just noise makers, but I love the noise.
    Exhaust - I was not meaning to state that the Q300 will drone....I do not remember off the top of my head which specific years had issues, or that people complained were louder than other models. I was just meaning see if you can find someone with similar to hear as we have found that the same line (in this case, Q300) does not sound the same across model years as you might expect.

AP - The Cobb unit does take the guesswork out of the issue through mild stage2, and for your model year mild stage3. This means a catted downpipe and either stock airbox or Cobb shortram airbox for stage 2, and stage2 plus 2 specific turbos for stage3. If you go catless, different intake, a BOV, etc. these maps will not work right and it will be dangerous to run them. Once you go beyond the limited constraints of the Cobb over-the-shelf maps you have two options (staying with Cobb that is) either buy parts and/or packages from names like Perrin that will provide Cobb maps for their parts, or find a tuning shop that does Cobb tunes (that includes e-tunes) and get a pro tune.

Open source tuning (RomRaider) is just as stable and delivers equal (and in some cases better) results as Cobb with the right tuner. There are other options (full ECU replacement, etc.) but most of those are not used unless you are going full track only nuts.

As for knowing what is needed for each stage, that is pretty easy. The so-called stages was a marketing thing by I think TurboXS to sell packages. The basics are below, any deviation from this would change you from, for example 'stage2' to 'stage2+'. However, there are also exceptions like the uppipe. The older WRXs had a catted uppipe which was known to fail, while this is not listed till stage3, many people will remove this at stage0 for safety of their turbo making them a 'stage0+'.

stage0 - bone stock
    stage1 - bone stock with a tune
    stage2 - high flow catted downpipe with a tune
    stage3 - high flow catted downpipe, upgraded intercooler, catless uppipe (if needed)
    stage4 - high flow catted downpipe, upgraded intercooler, catless uppipe (if needed) upgraded turbo, upgraded injectors (and supporting fuel pump)

BOV - the issue we have is not with brand, it is with the vent to atmosphere setup that 'blowoff valve' indicates. Subarus are tuned by use of the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor primarily. The ECU takes the report of how much air has been sucked in to measure the amount of gas to dump in the engine. When you let off the gas, a 'blowoff' or 'recirc' valve must release the extra boost pressure from the engine. If you use a vent to atmosphere BOV you are releasing air that your ECU has already accounted for from the system. This results in a sudden rich state in the engine. Depending on your mod level this could just be a pop and flame from the exhaust, or it could stall your engine, or result in a CEL, it might even damage your engine. By default, the released pressure gets recirculated back to the intake by way of a 'BPV' or 'bypass valve', but after the MAF sensor (so that it is not counted twice) so that the engine gets all the air it was expecting. (note that none of Cobbs over the shelf maps support BOVs, even their own)

If you want to use a BOV, you need to change over to what is called 'speed density tuning' where the tune is calibrated by manifold pressure and wideband O2 readings among other things. This would require a pro tune for all stages as no one does over the shelf staged speed density tunes.

Don't fret though. If you like the noise maker sound you still have options. For example, if you get either a cold air intake or a short-ram intake, and a turbo inlet tube, you will have added something that will add performance and the sucking sound of the turbo (and psssst from the BPV to an extent). Then if you upgrade the BPV and replace the return tube with a smooth 1" piece of radiator hose you will still be recirculating all the air, but it will sound almost as if you were venting to atmosphere.
    Last edited by DemonWRX; 10-04-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

The cobb exhaust is NICE.. my ex had one on her 07 TR and it was actually quite pleasant.. we drove that car from Virginia Beach to Philly area a few times. No drone, but it was audible. The Q300 is a decent exhaust and also quiet at highway speeds. It IS quieter than the cobb.. but not by much. The price difference though, that's enough to sway most folks. If you want BOV noise but dont want jerky shifts or trailer hitching coming off the throttle.. get an intake with a cone filter. Not only will you hear the turbo spool.. you'll hear the woosh when the bpv opens up. Again, coming from the ex's TR.. she has a spt intake on it and for a good while I thought she also had a BOV (we'd been dating for a while before I got under the cars hood lol..)

Hit up NASIOC and read through the Unabombers manifesto. Or, google "subaru unibombers manifesto" and it'll come up. MOUNTAINS of GOOD info in there. Lots of do's n donts. Knowing Ron personally he's a sarcastic sob but knows his stuff inside and out, right ways n sideways.
    Last edited by mangostick; 10-04-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Gents,
    I appreciate the input a lot. So far this is what I have decided:
    No BoV - I'll just get COBB SRI later on, probably much later on.
    One problem I ran in with my veloster is that my Borla exhaust started droning after I installed Injen SRI. Dont want that to happen again.

I guess I will just stick with COBB tuning for simplicity and to save time. Stage 3 will give me ~365hp which is plenty since I plan on making the car lighter.

Even though I am an IT engineer, I think that RamRider is something I will not mess with. I had my fair share of experience with opensource SW and no siree.

Well, tomorrow is the day I decide if I get the WRX. Fingers crossed that car is in good condition, I'll post some pics if/after I get the car.
    2015 WRX WR Blue

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast