New old guy 2013 wrx first timer turbo question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New old guy 2013 wrx first timer turbo question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Newbe here. 58 and have never owned a sports car with a turbo, last one was 1982 with Z28 before ...

New old guy 2013 wrx first timer turbo question

Newbe here. 58 and have never owned a sports car with a turbo, last one was 1982 with Z28 before that 1967 GTO.
    My question is if it is typical for the turbo not to kick in till about 4k (any gear) I will start out smoothly and quickly accelerate (pedal down) but no boost till about 4k then jumps out like crazy. If I am turning and it happens to kick in in the middle I have a fun ride holding on around the turn. Since I have no experience with turbo thought I would inquire. I have read about turbo lag etc but is that what it is and is it normal? Can get around by keeping rpm up initially and throughout but...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, that is normal. Full boost is set to around 3.5k-3.8k RPMs I think.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Yep. It's normal. Boost begins to build around 2500rpm...and you won't see full boost til 3500 or so as Foxy above said. Driving a turbo powerband is a lot different than driving an NA power band. You will get used to it.

Welcome to the club!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

ok. Glad to hear it is normal. I was used to hitting the pedal and immediately feeling the acceleration but I just need to add a little rpm when I want/need to move right now.
    It si really amazing how fast it kicks when it engages. I did kick it pretty good during the break in period, found that it shuts down at about 7500 and found that also was normal. Of course I stay clear of there now that I understand it a little better. Some say to break in the way you will drive it others say not to exceed 4k till 1k mi. Got 1300 now so no matter now anyway. Anyway, thanks for the info, this is a great way to get some good input and I love the Blue WRX.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello fellow old guy!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Yo..good to see more white hairs behind the wrx wheel!! ha (not referring to the pic)
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Hello fellow old guy!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome from another old guy
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

Welcome from another oldster. Pretty fun car huh ???
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

with a small displacement low compression motor there isn't a ton of exhaust gas below 3000rpm even less with unequal length manifolds. Couple this with a medium duty single scroll turbo means not much oomph down low...

A tune will shift more power to midrange and increase daily drivability and of course a lot more giggles... a protune will generate a bit more torque than canned or OTS tunes
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44 View Post
    with a small displacement low compression motor there isn't a ton of exhaust gas below 3000rpm even less with unequal length manifolds. Couple this with a medium duty single scroll turbo means not much oomph down low...

A tune will shift more power to midrange and increase daily drivability and of course a lot more giggles... a protune will generate a bit more torque than canned or OTS tunes
    Thanks for the input. Do you get such tunes at dealer or specializing shop?

I have another question. After work car was sitting in lot all day after 45 minute commute. I start it up and have a strong ether or fuel like smell for about 30 second or so. Using 91 octane in Colo. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I do not smell this every time it starts but notice every day after work. Thanks for your help.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Canned or OTS refers to a "base" map from places like Cobb Tuning or Torque Performance. These are less effective.

You can get a "pro tune" from a specialized shop in person or via email. These are more effective because the tune is tailored towards your personal vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Canned or OTS refers to a "base" map from places like Cobb Tuning or Torque Performance. These are less effective.

You can get a "pro tune" from a specialized shop in person or via email. These are more effective because the tune is tailored towards your personal vehicle.
    My wrx is new 2013. Do I assume a pro tune doesn't effect warranty etc?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit View Post
    My wrx is new 2013. Do I assume a pro tune doesn't effect warranty etc?
    Any tune (which requires flashing your ECU) absolutely affects your warranty claims. If you don't want SOA denying any claim against your powertrain, you may want to wait until your 5/60K powertrain warranty expires before pursuing any tune. You have to pay to play...

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    Any tune (which requires flashing your ECU) absolutely affects your warranty claims. If you don't want SOA denying any claim against your powertrain, you may want to wait until your 5/60K powertrain warranty expires before pursuing any tune. You have to pay to play...
    Thanks for heads up.will wait a while.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.