Header interchange - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Header interchange within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Thanks. i am planing to put on aftermarket headers but didnt want to pay 0 for 2012 STI headers when ...

Thanks. i am planing to put on aftermarket headers but didnt want to pay $600 for 2012 STI headers when i can get them cheaper for the older STI and just slap them onto mine. i dont have any mods yet but im planning on getting headers, full exhaust, intake, front mount intercooler and looking for a V3 COBB.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Most of the good aftermarket headers I know of are $600+, regardless of the year model.

Well im looking at some Agency Power Stainless Steel Header, are those any good?

Agency Power is a rip off scammer company, so no.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by ED.2012.STI View Post
    Thanks. i am planing to put on aftermarket headers but didnt want to pay $600 for 2012 STI headers when i can get them cheaper for the older STI and just slap them onto mine.
    I'm confused. Why doesn't your 2012 STi have a 2012 STi header?

i dont have any mods yet but im planning on getting headers, full exhaust, intake, front mount intercooler and looking for a V3 COBB.
    Your build needs direction. This isn't a Honda. Bolt-on priorities are different.

1. If you purchase an equal length header, you'll want fueling upgrades to take advantage of the increased VE supplied by the header. Figure uprated injectors and fuel pump at the minimum.
    2. If you plan on installing an aftermarket header and a FMIC, you'll need to be pro-tuned. I wouldn't waste the money on an AccessPort unless the tuner you are DEAD SET on having tune your car only tunes AccessTuner.

You do understand that equal length header is what you want, right? You want similar-to-stock primary diameter ELH with those mods (you will lose the Boxer Rumble sound). "Slapping on" just any larger header is not necessarily beneficial to a turbocharged car. The same is true for a front mount intercooler. Please understand the pros and cons before making this decision. Again, I'll reiterate: MAKE SURE YOU TRULY UNDERSTAND THE PROS AND CONS.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Why are they a scammer company, did anybody have bad experience with them? which brand would be better then, i dont want the equal length headers.

Why are they a scammer company, did anybody have bad experience with them? which brand would be better then, i dont want the equal length headers.
    Many of their parts are knockoffs from other companies. They don't do their own R&D. That's why they charge things at a lot cheaper prices. That and they have ****ty customer service when **** breaks.

If you don't want EL headers, don't even bother getting headers.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Hundreds of people have had bad experiences with them. That's why they're banned from all the forums. Just take a look in the Vivid Racing vendor review thread on nasioc (Agency Power is Vivid Racing house brand).

If you don't want equal length headers then I would just spend your money elsewhere if I were you.

My 2012 STI has OEM headers and i wanted to upgrade to an aftermarket one to gain HP, but i really dont want to loose the STI Rumble! What are the cons of an aftermarket header? cuz i had a 04 STI that i just sold and it had unequal length headers with a 3" straight pipe and a intake and it was putting out 320WHP, it was running on original full pump, i had it for over 2 years like that with no problems.

Alright and thanks for the info on the Agency Power!

zax
    My 2012 STI has OEM headers and i wanted to upgrade to an aftermarket one to gain HP

Facebook me here

zax
    It doesn't work this way. Do you even understand how an aftermarket header increases horsepower? I mean, really understand what's going on.

Facebook me here

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    "Scavenging"

Good headers will create a vacuum and "pull" out the exhaust gases allowing the cylinder to more completely empty and allowing a better charge in from the intake/injectors and will even pull that charge into the cylinder while the exhaust and intake valves are open at the same time.

They create a better vacuum, reduce restrictions, and smooth out the exhaust flow.

Explain to us Zax! How does an aftermarket header increase horsepower(on a subaru (turbocharged engine))? What I said above is what I learned from the Chevy guys I know, mostly working on N/A v8's.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man
    Explain to us Zax! How does an aftermarket header increase horsepower(on a subaru (turbocharged engine))?
    A quality header allows you to run more aggressive ignition advance, which in turn, provides more power.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    "Scavenging"

Good headers will create a vacuum and "pull" out the exhaust gases allowing the cylinder to more completely empty and allowing a better charge in from the intake/injectors and will even pull that charge into the cylinder while the exhaust and intake valves are open at the same time.

They create a better vacuum, reduce restrictions, and smooth out the exhaust flow.

Explain to us Zax! How does an aftermarket header increase horsepower(on a subaru (turbocharged engine))? What I said above is what I learned from the Chevy guys I know, mostly working on N/A v8's.
    Yes, this is true for N/A setups. Turbocharged motors are quite different.

In a N/A car, the scavenging is increased because the exhaust gases clear the valves quicker. It's a very simple increase in VE. On a turbocharged car, the major restriction is still the turbine. Increasing header primary diameter may allow exhaust gases to clear the valves slightly quicker, but the gases are slowed by the turbine. Furthermore, opening up the diameter of the header allows the gases to slow down (think same volume of water through a thin pipe vs. a thick pipe). Slower exhaust gas velocity (EGV) will account for slower spool of the turbo. Long story short: enormous and poorly matched header on a turbocharged car may mean lack of spool without the VE gains you would see on an N/A car.

The header primary diameter should be matched with the turbo that is run on the car. A small turbo like the VF48 is a choke point and will see little gain from an aftermarket UELH with larger primary diameter. The greater the turbo flow, the more the VE bump from a larger header.

ELH, on the other hand, that's a different story.
    Last edited by zax; 09-18-2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: semantics

Facebook me here

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Yes, this is true for N/A setups. Turbocharged motors are quite different.

"EJ257"A quality header allows you to run more aggressive ignition advance, which in turn, provides more power.
    In a N/A car, the scavenging is increased because the exhaust gases clear the valves quicker. It's a very simple increase in VE. On a turbocharged car, the major restriction is still the turbine. Increasing header primary diameter may allow exhaust gases to clear the valves slightly quicker, but the gases are stopped by the turbine. Furthermore, opening up the diameter of the header allows the gases to slow down (think same volume of water through a thin pipe vs. a thick pipe). Slower exhaust gas velocity (EGV) will account for slower spool of the turbo. Long story short: enormous and poorly matched header on a turbocharged car may mean lack of spool without the VE gains you would see on an N/A car.

The header primary diameter should be matched with the turbo that is run on the car. A small turbo like the VF48 is a choke point and will see little gain from an aftermarket UELH with larger primary diameter. The greater the turbo flow, the more the VE bump from a larger header.

ELH, on the other hand, that's a different story.
    Schweet...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast