02 WRX - First mod Q's- Intake, Up pipe, exhaust?

This is a discussion on 02 WRX - First mod Q's- Intake, Up pipe, exhaust? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Whats up guys, Recently bought a 02 wagon, second wrx ive owned and my 4th subi (96 legacy, 02 wrx ...

02 WRX - First mod Q's- Intake, Up pipe, exhaust?

Whats up guys,

Recently bought a 02 wagon, second wrx ive owned and my 4th subi (96 legacy, 02 wrx sedan, 99 OBS)

Had it checked out and have a good stock foundation to start on. but im not sure where to take it from here.
    Ive helped my friend and his 04 sti-stage 2 now- but not sure if i want to go same route as far as order of installment.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, as i am new to DIY on my subi but thats also a large part of why i chose the stock wrx, to work on and build my self knowledge.

As far as engine goes, the only thing i have replaced is the inlet pipe
    since money is scarce I need to choose wisely and need some input from more experienced guys, I want some more torque, but nothing too crazy or pricey for now..

:::Heres my list that i threw together:::

--Either a new intake (cobb sf?), or dive in and get a new up pipe (cat less?) and gaskets...maybe all in that order?
    -next I was looking into suspension (coilovers?) but since thats pricey, it might be a while till I can get em and throw em on.

On a similar note, since Im a college student and have to wait a while before I have enough saved funds to go ahead, consider that If i make a modification it might be some months before i can afford the next--i.e. buying a up pipe but then not having funds for a gasket job :/ which i know is needed asap

Let me know what you guys think..

Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Good thought on the up-pipe. For your gen car that is a highly recommended first mod (as the cat deteriorates, it could send pieces into the stream). You can actually gut the stock up-pipe for cheap if you don't want to buy a new one. Search on here and you can find tutorials.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Intake won't net you any gains at stage 1/2. Mostly just for sound.

Up-pipe would be the absolute first thing I would do if you still have the stock up-pipe installed. You would definitely want to install new gaskets when you replace it. Or you could gut the cat and avoid buying a new pipe (cheaper).

As far as power, the first thing you would want to do is downpipe+tune.

Lowering springs would be good for a college student on a budget because most will work with the stock struts and they will improve the handling without spending about 2 grand on good coilovers. Also, coilovers are much stiffer than lowering springs and the spring rates of coilovers might not work well with stock wheels/tires causing your handling to get worse.

First Modifications - what to do and not to do
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 09-16-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Thanks..very helpful. as far as gutting the cat what about possible pieces left over to get sucked in?

I Support ClubWRX
    You won't let that happen under any circumstances. If in doubt just buy an up pipe. No pieces. Ever.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DubAreEx10 View Post
    Thanks..very helpful. as far as gutting the cat what about possible pieces left over to get sucked in?

If you gut it don't leave any pieces in there, period. That would just be plain stupid. It's a pipe, with ribbed shiny walls on the inside. If you shine a light in one end of the pipe you can clearly see if it is all cleaned out.