2013 Intake nmanifold
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2013 Intake nmanifold within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey bought my first Subaru in September of last year 2013 WRX premium. I am coming up it's first birthday ...

2013 Intake nmanifold

Hey bought my first Subaru in September of last year 2013 WRX premium. I am coming up it's first birthday and my engine light came on. Thought it was gas cap, but would not clear. I took it to dealer and turns out they need to replace the intake. My car just turned 6k miles, seems odd. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this as being an issue with other vehicles??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Replace the entire intake manifold? MAF? Intake piping? I don't understand why they'd need to replace anything other than the MAF.

I also wish I only had 6k miles after a year I've had my car for less than 2 months and I've already put 2500 miles on it haha
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

I didnt have a chance to talk to the tech, just the service adviser. (my wife is not very pleased with me I bought the WRX as my everyday car, but I couldnt get myself to drive during the winter. So I went and purchased an 07 for racking up the mileage ) pardon my ignorance, what is MAF?

MAF or MAS – Mass Air-Flow Sensor

If you're ever confused with terminology, here's a nice little sticky. What does it mean?? Terminology and Acronyms for the newcomer!

Thank you that list is awesome!

I Support ClubWRX
    I also wish I had such low mileage on my car. 1 1/2 years and im at 40+K but I have had a lot of fun driving it). What was wrong with the intake. The only problem I have had is the intercooler to intake manifold hose came loose. Still made boost but sounded like a BOV venting to atmosphere. Good luck with the car post some pics. The car was made for the winter (when you have proper tires).
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Thedr View Post

Hey bought my first Subaru in September of last year 2013 WRX premium. I am coming up it's first birthday and my engine light came on. Thought it was gas cap, but would not clear. I took it to dealer and turns out they need to replace the intake. My car just turned 6k miles, seems odd. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this as being an issue with other vehicles??
    This is kinda odd, but we won't really be able to tell you anything more until you can give us the code it threw and/or let us know what/why they're replacing exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    I don't understand why they'd need to replace anything other than the MAF.
    Just out of curiosity, how do you know that from the information of "the check engine light came on" and "took it to dealer and turns out they need to replace the intake" that it's definitely the MAF and that's all that needs to be replaced? I would love to have your diagnosis skills.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Well its not like the pipework will throw a CEL.. the only thing to do that is a sensor.

So the only part of the entire intake system on a turbo car that can go wrong and need replacement is the MAF? Good to know...
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by wrx frog View Post
    Well its not like the pipework will throw a CEL.. the only thing to do that is a sensor.
    False.

What if the "pipework" had a hole in it causing a post MAF leak? This means unmetered air would be entering the engine, possibly causing a very detrimental lean condition in the engine...could throw any number of CELs in that event from misfires up to overboosting.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX

I never suggested that, you skill at assumption is powerful though. The maf sensor is where you would start right? That's probably why the other poster suggested it and I agreed..

Odd thing

Ok so I took the car in and found that the motor that controls the flaps on the intake had got moisture in and corroded, freezing one set of the flaps closed. replaced the parts and back in business.

I had a cel on my Mercedes, bought some maf cleaner and sprayed it on and cel turned off immediately.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.