Question about tires
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Question about tires within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys I am waiting for a 2014 DGM base WRX hatchback with STi short throw and fog light kit. ...

Question about tires

Hey guys I am waiting for a 2014 DGM base WRX hatchback with STi short throw and fog light kit.

Only problem is that the car may not arrive until December. Will I be okay on summer tires since they will be brand new? If not should I go with winter tires or just get all seasons and sell the summer tires?

Thanks for any input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you see cold temps consistently and especially if you see snow or ice of any kind winters are the way to go.

I Support ClubWRX
    Summer tires (what come stock on the WRX) are not suitable for temperatures below 40, or any kind of precipitation at that level (rain, snow, sleet, ice). If you don't want dedicated summer/winter setups, work into the deal A/S tires.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd rather have winters than AWD any day if I had to chose one or the other.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    I'd rather have winters than AWD any day if I had to chose one or the other.
    I'd rather (and choose to) have both

UNYSOC

Thanks for the input looks like I will start looking for a pair of winters. In KS our winters are unpredictable and can be bad.

What is the best deal you guys have found on them?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I'd rather (and choose to) have both
    Perfect. You're driving then!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by S20002STI
    What is the best deal you guys have found on them?
    My Nokians cost me ~$1000 for all four corners mounted/balanced.

That said, they are gorgeous:

They are also more tire than many people need.

I doubt KS winters necessitate studs. Nokian has a studless tire that would likely be better suited for you:
    Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-11-2013 at 03:47 PM.

UNYSOC

Question about tires

Wow those are great looking but I think you are right on not needing something that extreme. I just need something that will be safe for when it does hit. Sometimes we can go without any snow and then it hits all at once.

I live in Ks and drive 90 miles round trip every day (m-f) in a 2011 WRX.

I went with Cooper RS3-As and have no regrets. Snow is no match for the WRX + RS3-As. I don't think ks gets frequent enough snow to justify snow tires.

Sent from my Infected Rezound using Tapatalk 2

I Support ClubWRX
    I generally recommend the following three tires:
    1) Budget - General Altimax Arctic. These are a great winter tire, are available studded/studless. Always perform decently on tests. Don't break the bank.
    2) Performance - Dunlop Wintersport 3D. These are a winter tire designed for those who may see some snow, but will mainly see dryer weather. The compound is designed for traction in the lower temps, but can handle snow well. The price point is a little higher than the Generals, but it isn't horrible.
    3) Tank - Nokian Hakkapeliittas. Whether you go studded or unstudded, these are THE snow tires to have. They are more expensive than option 1/2, but are the best you can buy. At $800-900 for tires alone, it isn't asinine amount of money, but many people will shy away due to price tag.

For you, my recommendation would be Option 2. KS is south enough that you shouldn't see all that much snow, and will mostly be dealing with lower temps vs accumulation (like up here in the Northeast).

Quote Originally Posted by Cerealkillah
    I live in Ks and drive 90 miles round trip every day (m-f) in a 2011 WRX.

I went with Cooper RS3-As and have no regrets. Snow is no match for the WRX + RS3-As. I don't think ks gets frequent enough snow to justify snow tires.
    Do you have dedicated summer tires for the warmer temperatures? Because a performance winter tire (like Option 2 I listed) will corner/stop faster in the dry than an A/S tire during colder temps, and handle snow/ice better (starting, stopping, cornering), as well. When you get into the warmer months, the differences are even greater with A/S vs dedicated tires.

You can make due with A/S tires, don't get me wrong, but you cannot discount that having the proper tool for the job will not do it better.
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-11-2013 at 04:12 PM.

UNYSOC

Question about tires

Thanks for the added comments.

Cereal I will check out those that you are using.

EJ-I think that a performance mixed tire would be good because that sounds like what we have. Probably wont be so much the snow as it will be wet and very cold.

What do you guys think of just going with all season tires?

I Support ClubWRX
    EJ-I think that a performance mixed tire would be good because that sounds like what we have. Probably wont be so much the snow as it will be wet and very cold.
    What do you guys think of just going with all season tires?
    I don't know KS weather all that well (I've only been there once, and that was in July); only you can really determine that. Winter tires are designed to be run in sub-50 temperatures; they are designed with a specific compound that is geared towards those conditions. A/S tires are designed to be run from 0-100 (and beyond, on both sides of the spectrum), which means that they have to make sacrifices in grip for both hot/cold temperatures. Ever heard the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none"? This applies to A/S tires...

You can perform open heart surgery with a butcher knife, but wouldn't you prefer to use a scalpel?

A dedicated set of tires, when used in the conditions they were designed for, will perform better than an A/S tire in every single aspect.
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-11-2013 at 04:21 PM.

UNYSOC

Yeah that makes sense. I think a good winter set like you mentioned in option 2 just might be what I need.

Thanks for the input!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.