Question about tires - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

This is a discussion on Question about tires within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by EJ257 I generally recommend the following three tires: 1) Budget - General Altimax Arctic. These are a ...

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I generally recommend the following three tires:
    1) Budget - General Altimax Arctic. These are a great winter tire, are available studded/studless. Always perform decently on tests. Don't break the bank.
    2) Performance - Dunlop Wintersport 3D. These are a winter tire designed for those who may see some snow, but will mainly see dryer weather. The compound is designed for traction in the lower temps, but can handle snow well. The price point is a little higher than the Generals, but it isn't horrible.
    3) Tank - Nokian Hakkapeliittas. Whether you go studded or unstudded, these are THE snow tires to have. They are more expensive than option 1/2, but are the best you can buy. At $800-900 for tires alone, it isn't asinine amount of money, but many people will shy away due to price tag.

    For you, my recommendation would be Option 2. KS is south enough that you shouldn't see all that much snow, and will mostly be dealing with lower temps vs accumulation (like up here in the Northeast).



    Do you have dedicated summer tires for the warmer temperatures? Because a performance winter tire (like Option 2 I listed) will corner/stop faster in the dry than an A/S tire during colder temps, and handle snow/ice better (starting, stopping, cornering), as well. When you get into the warmer months, the differences are even greater with A/S vs dedicated tires.

    You can make due with A/S tires, don't get me wrong, but you cannot discount that having the proper tool for the job will not do it better.
    I commute in my WRX. I don't race or push the car often enough to justify having 2 sets of wheels/tires.

    The UHPAS tires are more than adequate for daily driving, especially if you aren't trying to race every car on the road, but see resilient enough to not let you down when you decide to take an exit ramp at twice the posted speed.

    Sent from my Infected Rezound using Tapatalk 2

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User S20002STI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Garden City, KS
    Posts
    331
    I guess that's true and maybe I'm just over thinking things. I was able to make it through winters just fine in my old 350z and S2K with all seasons so maybe I'm just worrying too much!

    I really don't have a need for 2 sets and it would help with the cost of a new car if I could sell the summer tires.

  4. #18
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,852
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerealkillah
    I commute in my WRX. I don't race or push the car often enough to justify having 2 sets of wheels/tires.

    The UHPAS tires are more than adequate for daily driving, especially if you aren't trying to race every car on the road, but see resilient enough to not let you down when you decide to take an exit ramp at twice the posted speed.
    The fact of the matter is that a dedicated setup will stop sooner and be able to take corners faster than an A/S tire. Whether the better grip is worth it to you, as an end-user, is a decision only you can make. I live in an area that has worse winters than you, so my decision to run dedicated sets is a bit easier.

    I won't hide the fact that I hate A/S tires. Tires, to me, are part of routine maintenance; I don't have a problem spending money to ensure I have the right tools for the job. For winter tires, I don't care about the cost (my driveway sucks). For summers, I run what I recommend as my "budget" category (RS3-S), because I hadn't budgeted for a premature failure of my previous tires which were supposed to last me at least another summer when I had a blowout (tread was good for another 1-1 years).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  5. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    18
    I can't deny that dedicated tires are better, but given how I drive and where I live, UHPAS work great for me and aren't with the cost and headache to have extra sets of tires.

    Sent from my Infected Rezound using Tapatalk 2

  6. #20
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the Port. ME
    Posts
    2,898
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerealkillah View Post
    I can't deny that dedicated tires are better, but given how I drive and where I live, UHPAS work great for me and aren't with the cost and headache to have extra sets of tires.

    Sent from my Infected Rezound using Tapatalk 2
    Think of it this way. With all seasons you get meh performance all year round. With winters and summers you get outstanding traction and performance all year round. Well worth it in my opinion.

  7. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Think of it this way. With all seasons you get meh performance all year round. With winters and summers you get outstanding traction and performance all year round. Well worth it in my opinion.
    I just can't justify it for how I drive and where I live. I can understand the decision, but for me the minor compromises I make in traction and handling outweigh the cost and hassle of having dedicated sets.

    You aren't going to convince me otherwise.

    Sent from my Infected Rezound using Tapatalk 2

  8. #22
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the Port. ME
    Posts
    2,898
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerealkillah View Post
    I just can't justify it for how I drive and where I live. I can understand the decision, but for me the minor compromises I make in traction and handling outweigh the cost and hassle of having dedicated sets.

    You aren't going to convince me otherwise.

    Sent from my Infected Rezound using Tapatalk 2
    I'm not trying to convince you. I am replying to the OP's question. Cost wise there really isn't a huge difference. I run two sets of tires for half the time...so they wear out half as quickly as an all season would.

    We live in completely different areas. For me winters are no question.

  9. #23
    Registered User Monk_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I'm not trying to convince you. I am replying to the OP's question. Cost wise there really isn't a huge difference. I run two sets of tires for half the time...so they wear out half as quickly as an all season would.

    We live in completely different areas. For me winters are no question.
    Exactly. You buy two sets, but use each half as much. If you can afford the upfront cost, you spend no extra money over a 2-3 year period, but you have vastly superior control over your car.

    A lot of it does come down to where you live though. With where I live and my hobbies, I have many times every year where I am getting in the car with over a foot of fresh overnight snow on the ground and heading out into a blizzard where it is snowing at a herder pace than the plows can keep up with. The first time I don't have to get my car towed out of a ditch has paid for my snow tires.

  10. #24
    Registered User ScottieRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    29
    I'm in the Seattle area so our winters are very mild. Usually only get a week or two of snow/ice a year. I'm just going to see how the stock summer tires fair. They've performed superbly in the rain so far, so I'm not terribly rushed to go drop a grand or two on another set of tires and wheels.

    If I was back in Colorado on the other hand, i'd run summers and winters without question.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •