Just wanting a few opinions

This is a discussion on Just wanting a few opinions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; As some of you already know, I have placed an order for a 2014 limited for ,500. I recently contacted ...

Just wanting a few opinions

As some of you already know, I have placed an order for a 2014 limited for $28,500.

I recently contacted someone trying to sale their vehicle themselves. It is a 2012 base model with 22,000 miles. It is completely stock. It does have the spoiler and fog lights. I somewhat know the guy and is a family man and takes care of his vehicles. All maintenance records are available.

Anyways, he called back and said he would take my offer from a month ago. He said he would take $21,500. This seems like a good deal on a 2012.

Just wondering which direction you guys and gals would go. He gave me until Saturday to let him know, if not he is trading it in at CarMax. They offered $21,000. I am very new to Subarus, so I am hoping you guys can offer advice to the best deal for me.

Thanks
    David

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I hesitated when thinking about buying a used WRX. Just watch all the youtube videos out there. Some WRX's have been used and abused pretty hard. Maintenance may be up to speed but you'll never really know for sure how the guy drove it or who he let take it out for a hot lap around the block. Think of it this way if you buy new its in pristine condition and you will have the full warranty. There is only 14k miles left on the factory powertrain warranty. It's definitely a gambling game in my opinion. $7,000 more for total piece of mind. But if you are able to do your own work on your vehicles then I wouldn't be that nervous. My motto has always been buy new if you can and keep the car until it dies and you will spend less in the long run. Just my 2 cents.
    2013 Plasma Blue Pearl Impreza WRX Sedan

Oh I completely understand. The only reason I am considering this to not have any debt on the used vehicle, whereas the new I will have about a 10k loan and I really do not want any debt. I'm fairly certain this guy has taken care of his vehicle: no mods, baby seat in back, wife drives it 70% of the time as he works out of state. He is 35 and very professional which are all things that ease my mind on this vehicle. He has sent very detailed emails on the life of the car which also helps to ease my mind.

I really never thought I would have so much trouble in purchasing a vehicle. This is driving me insane. HA, I think about this car (WRX) all the time, and the new one doesn't come in until December.

And also, even if it has had a hard life, shouldn't it make it well past 14k more miles. I don't drive vehicles hard, but I will have my foot in the gas when I get my new. I would expect to make it to 100k miles easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
    And also, even if it has had a hard life, shouldn't it make it well past 14k more miles. I don't drive vehicles hard, but I will have my foot in the gas when I get my new. I would expect to make it to 100k miles easily.
    Yes I totally agree. From what I hear about Subarus they should make it to 200k easily. If you can avoid debt that's great. And you get to drive in a WRX sooner rather than later. I'm just anal when it comes to cars I guess. Haha!
    2013 Plasma Blue Pearl Impreza WRX Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    I feel bad for your salesman. You custom ordered a car for under invoice signed a contract, and are still out shopping? you should be a man and stick with your contract that you agreed to. You did get a great deal too! That's pretty much what I sell them for and my pm box fills up constantly with folks looking for that deal! Is the used car even a limited? If its a base then compare it to a base. That would be 5k or less difference for a 2 year newer car with 20k less miles, a full warranty, a lower interest rate, higher resale, and you'd avoid potential used abused car headaches, that's a no brainer in my book.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

21500 is a steal for that

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    I feel bad for your salesman. You custom ordered a car for under invoice signed a contract, and are still out shopping? you should be a man and stick with your contract that you agreed to. You did get a great deal too! That's pretty much what I sell them for and my pm box fills up constantly with folks looking for that deal! Is the used car even a limited? If its a base then compare it to a base. That would be 5k or less difference for a 2 year newer car with 20k less miles, a full warranty, a lower interest rate, higher resale, and you'd avoid potential used abused car headaches, that's a no brainer in my book.
    Every time I read these forums I get reminded that I overpayed for my car. I hate you all lol.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    First of all me being a man is more about making the right decision for my family. Understood? Second if all when I made the purchase I specifically let him know other offers were made prior to my purchase and I was told if I changed my mind I would get a full refund and there would be no hard feelings bc he could sale the car either way. Third I don't need anyone on here telling me how to be a man especially when u don't know who I am. Understood?

Now Clayton, you do bring up good points and I am leaning toward the new car however as someone else pointed out it is a steal for that car and has really made me question how much I could save and not have a loan. Being the man I am it seems to be a wiser decision not to go into debt.

you still have a lot of warranty left dont you on the used one?

Yea I assume there would still be the balance of the factory warranty. Maybe 2 yr and or the 14k miles depending on which comes first.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would never buy a new car. Ever. But buying a used WRX can be risky. Normally if they are stock and properly taken care of you shouldn't have an issue. Plus you do have a little life on the factory warranty. If I had the choice you had right now, I would pick used every single time.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

def understand wanting to incur as little debt as possible. I cringed when getting a new car payment after 4 years of none. But I have bought my last 3 cars new because I want the upside of knowing how it's broken in, and all maintenance is mine alone. However, did buy a Jeep off a really good friend, and it went 10 years. So if you know the guy... well it's a tough decision.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

The powertrain should be 5 year 60K right?

Quote Originally Posted by S20002STI View Post
    The powertrain should be 5 year 60K right?
    You are correct.
    https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/warranties-2013.html