Still havent jumped on bandwagon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Still havent jumped on bandwagon within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; OK guys I still havent ordered a 2014. I went to look at a couple base models this weekend to ...

Still havent jumped on bandwagon

OK guys I still havent ordered a 2014. I went to look at a couple base models this weekend to decide on color and all and from the outside was struck by how much they look like an old Honda Civic and small. Maybe they were just outside and not at the showroom at the time and I was stepping out of my Xterra to look. Ive actually seen STIs in a sedan in the showroom recently and they have struck me as a good size for a sedan and sharp with the big tail. But I aint up for spending $38k on an STI. What also is scaring me a bit is I would order a Limited WRX which by the time you get thru with options I want like the exhaust pakage, popular package, etc youre talking $30k before taxes. I mean arent there other cars out there that are sporty, halfway decent mileage, good enough room inside, etc?

The Audi AllRoad is nice but pricey unless you go used and I dont trust most German cars.

I looked at a BMW X1 this past weekend came away not all that impressed. I aint into a Focus or Mazda 3 at least in current form. I would be ok with a stylish SUV but not all in the $30k range. I been all over car web sites looking but cant find much.

What worries me is I go spend $30k on a WRX then the first winter I need to spend a grand on a spare set of tires and wheels, find a place to store the summer ones, then just like I see most people on here end up spending another $10k modifying the car. I aint into doing all that crap and bankrupting myself on a car.

I mean I got a great driving record and my insurance is pretty low now but goes up a fair amount with the WRX to top it off.

So many negatives to a car Im starting to see as a Honda Civic looking.

Am I just getting a bit paranoid?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have you take one on a test drive?
    Your choice on what you really want.

I test drove one and that did it for me, plus seeing the videos of how they handle in the snow makes it better. All i had to say when i did my research then test drove one........SOLD.
    (plus the boxer engine sounds nice w/ exhaust)
    I like the look of the sedan, I personally can't wait on my 2014 WRX.

Good luck
    Last edited by dknow; 09-04-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    14 WRX SWP Sedan
    Fog lights, Short throw shifter, SPT Exhaust,

Quote Originally Posted by grendels_wrx View Post
    What worries me is I go spend $30k on a WRX then the first winter I need to spend a grand on a spare set of tires and wheels, find a place to store the summer ones, then just like I see most people on here end up spending another $10k modifying the car. I aint into doing all that crap and bankrupting myself on a car.
    I don't plan on even spending close to 10k modifying my WRX. Maybe a couple thousand at most. The car is quick, reliable, fun to drive and very good for all-year driving. Just because some people spend a bunch of money modifying their car does not mean you have to. I would just go with whatever makes you smile the most.

I Support ClubWRX
    To my it seems the OP is looking for more of a budget car, with stylish looks and a sporty feel for around $20-25k. Have your considered certified used with a warranty?

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!

I Support ClubWRX
    They look nothing like Civics but that is an opinion issue.

Test drive the car and then decide. You can't say you'd "have" to spend $10k modifying if you don't even know what you want to improve.

My 2006 is stock minus upgraded brakes and a short throw. I don't plan on modifying it any further and I love it.

Opinions are fine but, at least base your opinion on fact.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I would pass if you're having this many negative thoughts on the car. Like Michaelfox says, you have to drive the car and see.

Is this for real? lol

Oh my...dat Audi...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by -Boosted- View Post
    Is this for real? lol
    Is this just fantasy???

Caught in a landslide...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by jtk07 View Post
    To my it seems the OP is looking for more of a budget car, with stylish looks and a sporty feel for around $20-25k. Have your considered certified used with a warranty?

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!
    You're sort of correct. I'd be all for going for a base model but really I'd regret no sunroof and no leather. Seems alot of "enthusiasts" or "tuners" get a base because they are getting the car for AWD and the motor because they're gonna mod it like crazy. I'm at the point I want something nice to ride in everyday as well.

I mean I just see people make alot of negative comments about even the most basics of stuff on the car and then it's off to "modifyland". Tires suck in winter, new wheels and tires, bushings suck, new bushings, shifter too long, short shifter time, the list goes on. Or are people seeing the car this way because they are wanting it to be a racecar?

Yeah it's for real. For some time I've been all over the WRX and the negatives have been holding me back a bit plus the fact my Xterra ain't falling apart. I've been wanting to get something new because I thought the WRX was sharp and the Xterra maintenance is just more and more all the time. But the more I read it's like $30K for the WRX just to get the car then it's more and more $$$.

More and more $$$? Get the car and enjoy it. Who says you have to mod it to have fun with it? It will have more power than your Xterra, way more fun to drive and its awd....throw a good set of all weather tires on it (might even already have it) and drive it year round. I drive my RS4 on summers year round, including in snow (yes I know its not recommended).

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah it's for real. For some time I've been all over the WRX and the negatives have been holding me back a bit plus the fact my Xterra ain't falling apart. I've been wanting to get something new because I thought the WRX was sharp and the Xterra maintenance is just more and more all the time. But the more I read it's like $30K for the WRX just to get the car then it's more and more $$$.
    I'm not really sure what to tell ya, man. You've stated you want a brand new car with sporting intentions and some measure of luxury (moonroof, leather seats, etc), but then your budget contraints pretty much preclude you from actually getting a car like that. You've got to compromise somewhere in your equation.

Remember: Performance, Luxury, Cost. Choose two.

How about a Mazdaspeed3? Those offer a far nicer interior than any WRX or STI, and more power than a WRX in a practical hatchback. You sacrifice AWD for FWD, but Speed3's can usually be found at a lower price point for a given age than a WRX.

EDIT: I see you don't like Mazdas. Oh well.

Also, if you think the average member here drops $10k in modifications, you are gravely mistaken. My Stage II bugeye had maybe $2,500 in parts, including up and downpipes, axleback, a full set of winter wheels and tires, brake upgrades, an assortment of gauges, stereo upgrades, etc. In fact, the $800 snow wheels/tires were the single most expensive part I added. Of course, all of these were purchased over the course of years, so it's not like I swiped my card for everything at once.

With those parts, I had a competent, well-balanced, sporty sedan with performance limits well above legal speed limits. In winter, it easily navigated any sort of snow/ice situation I put it through. Of course, except for the snow wheels for safety, none of the parts I added were mandatory by any means.
    Last edited by Rambo; 09-04-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    You're sort of correct. I'd be all for going for a base model but really I'd regret no sunroof and no leather. Seems alot of "enthusiasts" or "tuners" get a base because they are getting the car for AWD and the motor because they're gonna mod it like crazy. I'm at the point I want something nice to ride in everyday as well.
    I'm willing to bet 75-80% of people who own a WRX never modify a single thing on it. This is a forum enthusiasts of the car have been seeking out since 2002, we are the exception to the majority of WRX owners. That being said many of the members on this forum are only into the mod path up to Stg2 and go no further. Stg 2 costs about $2.5k on the top end of the budget.

I mean I just see people make alot of negative comments about even the most basics of stuff on the car and then it's off to "modifyland". Tires suck in winter, new wheels and tires, bushings suck, new bushings, shifter too long, short shifter time, the list goes on. Or are people seeing the car this way because they are wanting it to be a racecar?
    All summer tires suck in the winter so not sure how that's the car's fault. You don't have to buy another set of wheels for winter if you don't want to. You could just re-mount the tires but that is a hassle, most people buy cheap wheels for their winter tires for convenience. The shifter/bushings are just a nice upgrade most people do because it's pretty inexpensive and you get a ton of improvement. You might like the stock shifter, some people do and they don't modify that. The list doesn't really go on for 3rd Gens. They are pretty well rounded cars in stock form. I will go back to suggesting you go drive one and then come back to make these assessments.

It seems like you are making broad assumptions about the car before you've even driven one. Am I wrong there? If I am I apologize. You just keep bringing up the fact that it's more and more $$$ when in reality that is 100% up to you. No one would be forcing you to modify your car lol.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Yes, you're paranoid.

Keep in mind people modify and improve even GTR Nissans...it's not like you MUST modify, because those cars are damn near perfect from the factory. They do it for improvement or preference.

Subarus don't have luxurious interiors or anything like that. I mean, they have leather etc but subaru is not a luxury brand. Think about why people buy subarus, they like the engine, they like the awd, they like the utility, they're lesbians (forester), they like the community (enthusiasts), or maybe they just like the car. If you don't like it, don't get it lol. Just drive one, that's the best you can do to eliminate it or rank it on your list.

It depends on what suits you. It sounds like you're complaining about going from a cheap SUV to a mid range sports car...not just a WRX. It ain't gonna be cheaper than your Xterra. And the additional modification related costs you're mentioning are all completely unnecessary. We do it because we're enthusiasts. And I spent <$2k in mods on my car.

Grendels,

I had the same issues. I wanted a car to look nice, have power and have decent ride quality. I feel the WRX met all of those criteria. I ended up ordering a 2014 limited sedan including tax for under 30k. For me, after test driving one, the leather, sunroof and HIDs along with the all weather package was easily worth the money. I felt good in the seats (6'4") and had plenty of room for passengers.

As far as the insurance, I am an insurance agent. My insurance per month went down compared to my 2010 ford fusion both with same coverage limits and comp and collison. The WRX had a better saftey rating and saved me a whopping $1 per month on insurance. If you agent tells you something you dont want to hear, have your insurnace quoted with several other agents (not online!!!)

For me, I have utmost confidence in this vehicle, looking professional and meeting my standards of what I was looking for. I am not going to mod, well maybe a little but that doesnt mean you have to.

Good luck. Hope I helped you in some way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast