Still havent jumped on bandwagon - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Still havent jumped on bandwagon within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Everything Michael said above is accurate. You're on an enthusiast forum where people come to find information and advice on ...

Everything Michael said above is accurate. You're on an enthusiast forum where people come to find information and advice on modifying their cars. This is not something that is WRX specific. There are endless number of sites for enthusiasts of all different kinds of cars. I would be willing to bet that just about everyone here who modifies their WRX, would still be doing mods if they have had chosen a different "sporty" car, whether that be a Porsche, an Audi or a Civic. My last car was an RSX, and the ClubRSX forum was just as full of people modding their cars as this one is. The difference being that in my experience, the WRX is a hell of a lot cheaper/easier to modify, especially in regards to increasing power.

To reiterate the point on Summer tires...they are just not meant for Winter driving. Doesn't matter what vehicle they're on. You have a few options here. Buy Winter tires, swap them on and off your stock wheels when the time comes each season, buy a 2nd cheap set of wheels for them, or just get a set of all season tires. I'm almost positive you could get the dealer to swap out the Summer tires for a set of reasonably priced All Seasons, and then you can go about your merry way driving on those year round. That being said, nothing will beat the cold/snow performance of dedicated winter tires. I bought my WRX at the end of January and had Winter tires shipped to the dealer and mounted on my stock wheels. This was my first time ever having winter tires, and when combined with Subaru's Symmetrical AWD, it was absolute pure awesomeness.

I don't know where you're from because I don't see a location listed under your name, but if you are looking for AWD, I'd LOVE to see you find a better car that's more fun to drive for less money. Even if you could find an Audi for the same amount of money, you'd probably get wrecked in the rear when it comes to maintenance and cost of ownership. I really wanted an A3 when I first started looking, but you can't even get one with Quattro and a manual gearbox, not to mention it still would have been more expensive than my WRX.

I went with a base because I didn't feel the need to spend the extra money on leather, fogs, and a sunroof. My RSX had all of those, but I don't really miss them. If anything, I only wish I had the heated seats/mirrors/wiper area. More importantly to me, I didn't want want the spoiler that comes with the premium/limited, but that's just personal preference.

Your comment about them looking "small" makes no sense to me, especially since you said you saw an STI that looked like "a good size". Other than the wing, the body size/shape is identical. Maybe it WAS due to the fact that they weren't in the showroom and you hopped out of an Xterra. Take the wing and badges off of an STI and most non-enthusiasts won't be able to tell the difference from the outside (brakes are about the only other visual cue). For me, the size of the sedan is more than enough. I can drop one of the seat backs down, put my hockey sticks and pads through the opening, then fit my giant bag full of equipment in the trunk, and STILL be able to drive myself and 2 people around comfortably.

If you think the new widebody WRX looks like a Civic, that's your opinion and I don't intend to try and argue about it.

Bottom-line, if you haven't test driven one yet, then we are probably wasting our breath. I fell in love during my test drive, and couldn't be happier with my choice (ok, so I DO wish I could have gotten an STI, but we're talking $26k vs $40k+).

PS - If you're looking for something bigger and "nicer" with AWD below or around $30k, you might want to check out the Legacy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by grendels_wrx View Post

I mean I just see people make alot of negative comments about even the most basics of stuff on the car and then it's off to "modifyland". Tires suck in winter, new wheels and tires, bushings suck, new bushings, shifter too long, short shifter time, the list goes on. Or are people seeing the car this way because they are wanting it to be a racecar?
    I have modified my WRX. The reality is that I'd modify any car I had. Just like I modify most things I own... it's not that there is anything wrong with the stock shifter, suspension, power level, etc... it's just fun. Everything on everything can be improved. I could get a new Porsche 911 Turbo and I'd be modifying it from day 1.

As for tires... if you live somewhere with a real winter, with snow, then summer/all season tires suck. They will suck no matter what car you put them on. On the broad spectrum of things... you'll be better off with a WRX (or an Xterra) with summer/all season tires than most cars... but snow tires will still be an incredibly good investment.

Id say keep looking. I had similar reservations before I bought my 2013 wrx in January. Needless to say. Here it is September and I already sold the car.

Not that it's a bad car. Just saying your situation seems similar to mine, I had a similar budget, similar reservations and similar car requirements, I bought a wrx even though I wasn't 100% sure and I already sold the car because IMO it wasn't all its cracked up to be.

Ps. If you think German cars aren't extremely reliable(excluding vw golf/rabbit/gti of certain years) then your crazy. Most German cars are some of the most well engineered and constructed cars on the road
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGoalie View Post
    Your comment about them looking "small" makes no sense to me, especially since you said you saw an STI that looked like "a good size". Other than the wing, the body size/shape is identical. Maybe it WAS due to the fact that they weren't in the showroom and you hopped out of an Xterra. Take the wing and badges off of an STI and most non-enthusiasts won't be able to tell the difference from the outside (brakes are about the only other visual cue). For me, the size of the sedan is more than enough. I can drop one of the seat backs down, put my hockey sticks and pads through the opening, then fit my giant bag full of equipment in the trunk, and STILL be able to drive myself and 2 people around comfortably.
    I was looking at a hatch which does look smaller from the back in comparison to an STi sedan. At least to me.

I live in the DC area so we get 3-4 storms a year and every 2-3 years some big storms.

Well gotta say if the test drive doesn't hook you, then it's not for you. You'll know right away...trust me, it was a deal sealer for me ..no doubt. As far as the tires...kind of look at it this way. You're prolonging the life of both over the long haul by mixing ... may be flawed logic ..but what the hell...I get an extra year or two out my summers. And unlike others things in life you are totally in control of this decision.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    Id say keep looking. I had similar reservations before I bought my 2013 wrx in January. Needless to say. Here it is September and I already sold the car.

Not that it's a bad car. Just saying your situation seems similar to mine, I had a similar budget, similar reservations and similar car requirements, I bought a wrx even though I wasn't 100% sure and I already sold the car because IMO it wasn't all its cracked up to be.

Ps. If you think German cars aren't extremely reliable(excluding vw golf/rabbit/gti of certain years) then your crazy. Most German cars are some of the most well engineered and constructed cars on the road
    What did you end up getting after the WRX? I can't remember if you told us yet or not lol
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post

I've got an anti German car thing because of the 1.8 VW/Audi engine (used in VWs and the Audit A4 years ago) with the infamous ignition coil problems. I never owned one but read enough about em. Also every VW on the highway seems to have a headlight or taillight out. There's actually a reason for that. Also, and maybe this has changed recently, VW doesn't get good reviews from Consumer Reports.

I'd be all over a Toyota or Honda but just about every car they make is boring. Prius is the most interesting car but not exactly sporty.

What wasnt all that its cracked up to me? Just got bored ? Your past posts you sound alot like I would be with the paint chip thing and all.

I really hate the idea of a minivan or SUV for like 7 people or whatever. yeeecckkk!
    Last edited by grendels_wrx; 09-04-2013 at 03:45 PM.

It really doesn't sound like you want the WRX.

If I were you I'd look at the 2014 Mazda 3 when available. (not the Mazdaspeed 3)

The interior is better than the WRX to begin with and with a price point of 30k you can get one that's pretty nicely appointed.

The power will be lacking but it will still be peppy and fun to drive. Car and Driver and Motortrend love them.

The new redesign looks sweet too. If it was RWD or AWD I'd have been all over it.

I test drove a wrx off the back of test driving an evo and thought the 2013 wrx was pretty horrible - but I bought it because it ticked all the boxes (trunk space and price especially)

Now I love the wrx and test drove the evo again with my wife and hated the evo

I dunno - I think it's just hard to assess a car properly when you only get to drive it for 5-10 minutes - I love my car and would buy it again in an instant (but my wife of course has to have something different - so unfortunately I can't have 2)

Quote Originally Posted by poi88 View Post
    I test drove a wrx off the back of test driving an evo and thought the 2013 wrx was pretty horrible - but I bought it because it ticked all the boxes (trunk space and price especially)

Now I love the wrx and test drove the evo again with my wife and hated the evo

I dunno - I think it's just hard to assess a car properly when you only get to drive it for 5-10 minutes - I love my car and would buy it again in an instant (but my wife of course has to have something different - so unfortunately I can't have 2)
    You bought a car you hated to drive? Thats what may happen to me in a 5 minute test putt putt round the dealer lot. Dealers treat the WRX like its their daughter and I'm a guy trying to pop her cherry.

I figured it would grow on me

I agree it's whatever floats your boat. IMO you could get a great performing car for under $30k, but not brand new with AWD.

If you are willing to buy used, I would suggest a BMW 335 with Xdrive. The engines last forever, but if you want to avoid other potentially costly repairs avoid cars with >40k miles.

I recently got a used 2012 WRX premium after driving a BMW Z4 for several years. I don't miss the leather seats or uber-stylish interior, but it is nice having a solid top with a moonroof. Compared to many cars the WRX is very roomy - the back seats are particularly comfortable. I happen to think it's a great value for what you get.

Re' tires, in the last decade I drove a Subaru Outback through a half dozen Wisconsin winters with all-season tires and never got stuck once or had any problems. If you find the tire performance OK in the summer and don't live in an area with heavy snowfall you will probably do just fine with all-season tires.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAD View Post
    It really doesn't sound like you want the WRX.

If I were you I'd look at the 2014 Mazda 3 when available. (not the Mazdaspeed 3)

The interior is better than the WRX to begin with and with a price point of 30k you can get one that's pretty nicely appointed.

The power will be lacking but it will still be peppy and fun to drive. Car and Driver and Motortrend love them.

The new redesign looks sweet too. If it was RWD or AWD I'd have been all over it.

Yeah I thought bout that. I was not impressed by the current 3 at all when I went into the dealer. Not the Mazdaspeed but the regular one I would never own. Maybe 2014 will b e better.

Quote Originally Posted by poi88 View Post
    I figured it would grow on me
    My philosophy has been from the start that I will keep my Xterra unless I find something that wows me. Wows me enough to drop $30k. SO far the WRX has been that but just the negatives are hitting me and Ive read more and more on here and its making it worse. I'm not a car guy like I was when I was a kid but I dont want some boring soccer driving mobile. I dont really like SUVs but the Xterra is sorta cool from a style point of view. I would like something a bit nicer and all but hoped to not have to pay $$.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by grendels_wrx View Post
    My philosophy has been from the start that I will keep my Xterra unless I find something that wows me. Wows me enough to drop $30k. SO far the WRX has been that but just the negatives are hitting me and Ive read more and more on here and its making it worse. I'm not a car guy like I was when I was a kid but I dont want some boring soccer driving mobile. I dont really like SUVs but the Xterra is sorta cool from a style point of view. I would like something a bit nicer and all but hoped to not have to pay $$.
    Just curious, what have you read on the forum that is making it worse?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast