Uber noob here

This is a discussion on Uber noob here within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, names Kyle, I'm 23. Completely new to WRX's. I plan on getting a 04-06 at beginning of the ...

Uber noob here

Hello all, names Kyle, I'm 23. Completely new to WRX's. I plan on getting a 04-06 at beginning of the new year so I'm here just doing my research on things that could go wrong or things to look for when I do go to buy one. I owned a 01 mustang 4.6 last and I got into a rather big accident with it so I figured I'd better move from power to handling now I have a 01 ford explorer sport and I've always like WRX's but mustangs are my first love. Any tips from personal experience when buying one would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long winded post but I'm done now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome! There's a couple stickies that are good reading for someone thinking about buying one of these cars.

How to Buy a Used WRX or STI

Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to Club
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome, Kyle
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thx guys, one question I didn't get answered in those 2 stickys but any rule of thumb on high mileage WRX, ones with like 170-200k for sale. Are they worth looking at or not even bother?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Shina View Post
    Thx guys, one question I didn't get answered in those 2 stickys but any rule of thumb on high mileage WRX, ones with like 170-200k for sale. Are they worth looking at or not even bother?
    I wouldn't bother personally. With that sort of mileage, I'd be surprised if you could get much of a history on the car. If cost is an issue, why not look for a lower-mileage, well-maintained bugeye (2002-2003)?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

My spending limit is gonna be around 11k. I've been looking on craiglists to get an idea of what I can get and I've seen a bunch of 04s for 9k but with like 160k-190k and a couple with 200k for 4 grand. I kinda laughed but wasnt 100% sure of the price range of a Subaru

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Shina View Post
    My spending limit is gonna be around 11k. I've been looking on craiglists to get an idea of what I can get and I've seen a bunch of 04s for 9k but with like 160k-190k and a couple with 200k for 4 grand. I kinda laughed but wasnt 100% sure of the price range of a Subaru
    $11k will easily get you a nice bugeye.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Sweet ill have to narrow my searchs more then

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If you're looking at something high mileage like that...
    1. Single owner
    2. All Maint. Documented. Try to find out what shop(s) the owner primarily took it to and ask the mechanics about the car.
    3. Has the engine been rebuilt? Speek to the mechanic who did it. Get documentation on that too if possible.
    4. Inspect doubly carefull
    5. Compression test, compr. test, absolutely compr. test lol.

EDIT: other things could have easily worn out by 200k. Let me stress number 4 again lol. And make sure it's the right price because really, no matter what car it is, that's getting up there somewhat and you can't really predict anything so have a money "cushion" for replacement parts.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 09-04-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    If you're looking at something high mileage like that...
    1. Single owner
    2. All Maint. Documented. Try to find out what shop(s) the owner primarily took it to and ask the mechanics about the car.
    3. Has the engine been rebuilt? Speek to the mechanic who did it. Get documentation on that too if possible.
    4. Inspect doubly carefull
    5. Compression test, compr. test, absolutely compr. test lol.

Ok ill keep that in mind, thx