New member, 2013 Hatch. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New member, 2013 Hatch. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by EndlessSea I'm not really sure you understand how the exhaust system works on this car. You can ...

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    I'm not really sure you understand how the exhaust system works on this car. You can buy whatever catback you would want anyways. Bolt it on to the stock downpipe. And roll with it till 36k miles. Then buy a downpipe and a tuner and whatnot.
    Just some brief points on these cars

1. You don't need a tune for a catback, so you won't be "wasting your money on performance mods without a tune" with a catback, because.......
    2. You won't make power with a catback, not even with a tune, power comes from the downpipe. I've seen 470whp through a stock catback if your wondering(xluben on nasioc, or check his YouTube vids)
    3. A catback will in no way affect any part of a warranty
    4. You won't be wasting any money on a quality catback. You can bolt a bigger dp on later and the catback will hook up to it.
    5. If you do "the entire thing(TBE)" you will need a tune and that will void your warranty. You cannot safely change the downpipe without a tune on these cars
    6. Instead of some Chinese made crap ebay exhaust I suggest you save up and buy a quality catback. That way you won't be throwing your money away when you eventually go stage 2.
    Thank you, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by steezle View Post

I guess in all reality, I'm just trying to be cheap until next year.
    I'm just trying to be cheap. I'll listen to the advice and wait until I can just order a full CBE that I like the most. I did understand everything you had already said, but I was just being silly and trying to get something now and save a buck. Thank you for setting me straight. :P

I'm going to get the flaps and lip for now. Leave stock exhaust until I get the CBE system. I also was thinking about putting a very light smoked overlay on my tails. Has anyone tried to put an overlay over tails that already had nightshade red on them? Will it even stay on?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thank you, but...

I'm just trying to be cheap. I'll listen to the advice and wait until I can just order a full CBE that I like the most. I did understand everything you had already said, but I was just being silly and trying to get something now and save a buck. Thank you for setting me straight. :P

I'm going to get the flaps and lip for now. Leave stock exhaust until I get the CBE system. I also was thinking about putting a very light smoked overlay on my tails. Has anyone tried to put an overlay over tails that already had nightshade red on them? Will it even stay on?
    "buy once, cry once"

as far as the warranty stuff - my dealer is somewhat "mod" friendly. i'm stage 2 and have no issues when i go in for service. as long as you keep up w/ your maint. and recalls you should be fine... "generally speaking" *again, either talk to your dealer or find a subie guy to work on your car. or don't mod.
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

I'll be the voice of dissent. I actually ordered the OBX exhaust for my car, and have since sold it because it annoyed my 4-year old daughter in the AM when I left for work. It was actually louder in the car than it was outside of the car though. I recommend that you listen to a magnaflow system first if you are thinking about getting the OBX, it's basically a few decibels quieter IMO.

OBX makes a lot of headers for US cars (from what I can tell), and I believe they are a reverse-engineering company, and I think they reverse engineered magnaflows product in this case. I didn't know this when I bought it, but now that I do I'm a bit more reluctant to buy their products. However, for the price, it's a hard exhaust to beat.

It was shockingly nice for the price. Fitment was really quite nice considering it was 1/2 the price of comparable systems. The issue is, it didn't want to mate up as nicely as I wanted it to the Cobb DP (I got it to work, but it was a full 3" flange CBE vs the 2-1/2" cobb set up, so I was reliant on the donut gasket to make the seal, which I didn't like). With a full 3" DP and this exhaust, I'd expect it to mate very nicely. For the price it was an exhaust that you couldn't beat really.

On the hatch, the OBX wasn't as loud as the magnaflow (I owned one), but not as quiet as the Cobb set up. I think I have videos of it in my build thread, but I'm not 100% anymore.
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 09-05-2013 at 05:01 AM.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    I think I have videos of it in my build thread, but I'm not 100% anymore.
    2013 wrx exhaust - YouTube

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!

Thanks to both of you. This is really what I wanted to hear about it, some information with someone who has actually had first hand experience. No disrespect to the gentlemen who told me not to buy a cheap ebay exhaust system, but I had seen that it was still a brand name exhaust and also OBX Racing Sports did a lot more than just exhaust systems. That video honestly sounds very appealing to me. Something right in the middle is almost exactly what I am wanting in terms of sound. I live in the NW where cops will pull you over for exhaust if they feel like checking on you, so I don't want to push it too much.

Thank you guys for your input.

Today I'm planning on plasti-dipping my front grille to remove the gloss, if I don't like it I'll just peel it off. Planning on replacing it will full mesh anyway, but it will give me something to do. I'm also contemplating adding a couple layers off nightshade BLACK over my existing nightshade RED on my tails. Trying to get a little deeper color tone rather than the full on bright red. We'll see how it turns out!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	116000

Two small coats of the black over the red just darkened it up a little. Exactly what I wanted.

man my tails have faded something terrible... LOL

gotta redo them w/ VHT night shades!
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

It's very visible, I only did 2 coats of red, 2 coats of black to get a deeper red. I find that after a few washes they become a bit shinier rather than dull. I didn't do any wetsanding.

Got my RA flaps yesterday. Lip is coming tomorrow.

I'm going to order the Nameless axleback next week. Torn between Magnaflow or the 5" muffler options. Listened to videos on youtube, but it is still very hard to really hear the difference/make up my mind. Everywhere is saying that the Magnaflow option is their "quietest" and "very quiet" system. I don't want something overly loud, but I still want to be able to hear it! Any first hand opinions for me?

Name:	flaps.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	116150

Can you post pics from different angles? I'm waiting on my WRB hatch and already have the RA with blue waiting to go on lol.

Name:	flaps4.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	116158

Name:	flaps1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	116155

Name:	flaps2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	116156

Name:	flaps3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	116157

Thank you! Looks awesome!

Not a problem! Now I just can't wait to get my exhaust. I've decided on the Nameless Performance 5" Muffled 3.5 single wall axleback.

Not a problem! Now I just can't wait to get my exhaust. I've decided on the Nameless Performance 5" Muffled 3.5 single wall axleback.
    Probably a good bet to go with the Nameless mufflers. On my old Tiburon (got it in high school; bite me) I had a custom Magnaflow exhaust made with stock resonators. It liked that it has no drone at all, and had a nice sound under acceleration, nice and deep, but it was too quiet for my personal tastes. During idle/cruise it almost sounded stock. Magnaflow does a great job with reducing noise/drone with their mufflers, but if you are looking for more sound, they may not be the best option.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    Probably a good bet to go with the Nameless mufflers. On my old Tiburon (got it in high school; bite me) I had a custom Magnaflow exhaust made with stock resonators. It liked that it has no drone at all, and had a nice sound under acceleration, nice and deep, but it was too quiet for my personal tastes. During idle/cruise it almost sounded stock. Magnaflow does a great job with reducing noise/drone with their mufflers, but if you are looking for more sound, they may not be the best option.
    Good to know. The Magnaflow is 2/10 on their scale. 5" Custom Mufflers is 5/10 on their scale. Muffler removal is 10/10. So... I removed my muffler to hear what 10 sounds like. Halfway between stock and removal sounds about perfect in my book.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast