What 5w30 synthetic oil do you use. (Royal Purple, Amsoil etc)

This is a discussion on What 5w30 synthetic oil do you use. (Royal Purple, Amsoil etc) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; well all was just wondering What 5w30 synthetic oil do you use. (Royal Purple, Amsoil etc) saw this video and ...

What 5w30 synthetic oil do you use. (Royal Purple, Amsoil etc)

well all was just wondering What 5w30 synthetic oil do you use. (Royal Purple, Amsoil etc)

saw this video and looked pretty interesting about Royal purple oil

Just want a heads up on what works best for Subaru.

Thanks
    in the beginning he does 5w30 Amsoil and about 13:10 he starts the Royal Purple test for 5w30
    14 WRX SWP Sedan
    Fog lights, Short throw shifter, SPT Exhaust,

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Forget about Royal Purple. Stick with your favorite 5W-30 Synthetic that gives you good UOA results.

Some will also swear by Rotella based on UOA results and internet recommendations, but there's debate on whether it meets Subaru requirements for warranty consideration.

I Support ClubWRX
    The test in the video is irrelevant. Data from your motor would be relevant. I'd not use RP or Amsoil. Find something locally that meets SOA spec and gives you good UOA data.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Man, if only there were previous threads about this topic that had been created and this site had a search function to find them. I think you should message the creator of the site so you can get this search feature added.

The popular choice is Rotella T6.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

The test is flawed and biased! He drops the weights when using Amsoil, and gently lays the weights when using Royal Purple.

I've debated on what oil to use myself. Yes, I would like to use the "best" possible to protect my car. However, I dont see a real way of determining that other than constantly changing to different oils and having them tested.

I feel that a lot of the "differences" in these oils are just marketing. Yes, some may be better or can out last other oils. But no matter how long an oil can last, the oil filter can only go so long as well, defeating the purpose of going longer intervals. Yea, you could change the filter alone. But why not change the oil as well? Then you know you are protected.

Just get a good oil that meets specs, and keep it changed. I personally change mine more often than necessary, but you can never change it to much. The contrary, however, could definitely shorten your engine life.
    Last edited by tesla317; 08-31-2013 at 06:21 AM.