Upgrades Stage 1 & stage 2, pro tune, cobb AP, dyno?

This is a discussion on Upgrades Stage 1 & stage 2, pro tune, cobb AP, dyno? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello All, Just had a few questions about upgrades. 1. stage 1 is just a map flash with AP correct? ...

Upgrades Stage 1 & stage 2, pro tune, cobb AP, dyno?

Hello All,

Just had a few questions about upgrades.
    1. stage 1 is just a map flash with AP correct?
    and that is it?

2. If I would like to go to stage 2 with a downpipe.
    Do i need to use a dyno and protune or just AP?

I ask is because i plan on doing a stage 2, with a down pipe, but was wondering if i could use just the AP for that.

Just trying to figure out if i would need the cobb AP
    because if stage one is with AP and stage 2 can be done with AP i will get the device.
    But if i just need AP for stage 1 only, then i will pass.

* i know you can use the AP to monitor your subie, but i dont plan on going pass stage 2*

3. Also what does a pro-tune do - just modify's your map with more testing on a dyno or road testing?

Was not seeing anything that would explain about about stage 2
    Thanks for all the help
    Sorry for the noob questions.
    14 WRX SWP Sedan
    Fog lights, Short throw shifter, SPT Exhaust,

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You don't need an AP at all. Stage one is an otherwise stock car with a tune. Stage two is a car with aftermarket downpipe and a tune. The AP is just one method of flashing a different map onto your car's ECU.. there are other (cheaper) ways to tune your car.

The maps that come with the AP are "off the shelf". Meaning they are a one size fits all map, not designed specifically for your car. They leave a lot of performance on the table, and in some cases don't work well with the car and can potentially cause damage.

A professional tune will be custom tailored to your car, which should be both safer as well as provide a significant performance increase over an off the shelf map.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    You don't need an AP at all. Stage one is an otherwise stock car with a tune. Stage two is a car with aftermarket downpipe and a tune. The AP is just one method of flashing a different map onto your car's ECU.. there are other (cheaper) ways to tune your car.

The maps that come with the AP are "off the shelf". Meaning they are a one size fits all map, not designed specifically for your car. They leave a lot of performance on the table, and in some cases don't work well with the car and can potentially cause damage.

A professional tune will be custom tailored to your car, which should be both safer as well as provide a significant performance increase over an off the shelf map.

Thanks for the clarification on this. I will not get an AP and use the money on something else like a custom Tune
    14 WRX SWP Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dknow
    Thanks for the clarification on this. I will not get an AP and use the money on something else like a custom Tune
    FYI...some shops will only tune the Cobb AP
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dknow View Post

Yeah.. I would spend the money on an OpenPort 2.0 cable, a downpipe, and a custom tune by a reputable professional... depending on how much money you're wanting to spend and what you want from the car.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Yeah.. I would spend the money on an OpenPort 2.0 cable, a downpipe, and a custom tune by a reputable professional... depending on how much money you're wanting to spend and what you want from the car.
    Ok what brand Openport 2.0 cable? or is there only one brand?
    and brand (catted) downpipe is best? Cobb i hear is more expensive.
    14 WRX SWP Sedan