+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Member within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Good morning, and hello to all. I only have one experience owning a Subaru and it was a 2005 Legacy ...

Good morning, and hello to all.
    I only have one experience owning a Subaru and it was a 2005 Legacy GT Limited automatic sedan. I test drove the stick and auto and opted for the automatic since at the time I had a long commute to work on very un-entertaining roads and was trading in a 6-speed Nissan versa which has absolutely no balls, so having the turbo power, but convenience of an automatic got the best of me. I had that car for about a year and a half, sold it and bought a Wrangler and a motorcycle and then opted for gas mpg over the fun of a Wrangler and got into my third Civic, and that's what I'm currently driving.

I'm getting the Subaru bug again and am contemplating selling the bike and Civic and getting into a used WRX. However I don't have bottomless pockets and want the best bang for the buck, joined here to learn what to look for, years to avoid, etc.

Hopefully I'll be able to mod it a little, whatever improves it's 0-60 time. Plus I'm a sucker for the sound of a WRX with aftermarket exhaust (my R1 kinda sounds similar at idle).

But anyway, so are there any concerns with the first year the WRX had 265? 09 I think?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, 2009 had some problems with spun bearings. There are threads that can help identify if a car might be at risk.

It's best to just go for a 2010 or even 2011+ if you can afford them.

Are you only wanting to go 2009+? If not you might look into a nice low mileage 04-05 STI, those would be in the same general price range as a 2009+ WRX.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! Best of luck in your hunt! I'd say out of any age Subaru, 2009 would be the one to avoid.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I'm not set on an 09, just set on the 265hp engine. And isn't the listed 0-60 time of the WRX just one tenth slower than the STI? I haven't considered an STI, but I'll check out the prices of those years in my area. I have to say I'm hesitant about getting an abused WRX/STI, so the lower the mileage I can get the more confident I'll feel.

Thanks Rambo. Yeah, first year glitches worry me. I might still be in my Legacy if it weren't for me hearing that allegedly in 05, the first year of the turbo in a Legacy, that model year had an oil return line that was too narrow? And could supposedly burn out the turbo? I maintained the car well, but was the second owner, and just didn't want to chance having to replace a turbo and bailed before my extended warranty ran out! If I found a nice WRX, I have to say if a Spec B LGT w/ those caramel-ish color leather seats was available I'm not sure which I'd pick!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic15 View Post
    And isn't the listed 0-60 time of the WRX just one tenth slower than the STI?
    0-60 times are pretty much useless in determining what a car is like to drive. While it's fun to compare magazine stats, bear in mine those writers are absolutely flogging the cars the car within an inch of their lives (the cars are all media loaners, so no skin off their backs).

I guarantee very few real owners would be willing to beat their car hard enough to match magazine times. Your best bet as always would be to test drive both under real world circumstances, and then decide which you like best and fits within your budget.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    0-60 times are pretty much useless in determining what a car is like to drive. While it's fun to compare magazine stats, bear in mine those writers are absolutely flogging the cars the car within an inch of their lives (the cars are all media loaners, so no skin off their backs).

I guarantee very few real owners would be willing to beat their car hard enough to match magazine times. Your best bet as always would be to test drive both under real world circumstances, and then decide which you like best and fits within your budget.
    This ^

Try not to focus on 0-60 times. Those times hold no bearing on what a car is like to live with on a daily basis.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

I'm aware that the posted numbers are by professionals, but still, I bought a brand new 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE 5-speed and one of the selling points was the supposed 0-60 time of 5.95 seconds was quicker than a Porsche Boxster.

And 0-60 times are to me, the safest and most fun. 60-80 roll ons is territory for tickets on the freeway, but the rush of initial acceleration is fun!

The 2013 Porsche Caymen allegedly does 0-60 in the same time as a 2010 WRX. Before owning my Legacy GT, I owned an Explorer, a Wrangler and a Nissan Frontier and the awd Legacy was the balls in the winter, so that's something I'm looking forward to, but yeah, as squidly as it sounds 0-60 time is what strikes me the most.

I Support ClubWRX
    You'll be greatly disappointed if those are what you're basing your purchase on.

No one should be driving like that on a public roads and in most cases repeated "launches" will destroy Subaru transmissions.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

For paper racing 0-60 is perfectly fine. It shows some capabilities, not the specific car in day-to-day driving, but it's a comparison factor. I see nothing wrong with looking at those numbers... At the face of it that's where comparisons start. A 0-6 in 60 seconds (like my old sidekick) compares with the wrx pretty much like real live reality...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Apples to Oranges

EDIT: I'm not trying to sound like I'm discrediting 0-60 times. They have their place in the automotive world. I'm just trying to give someone looking to get into a WRX a realistic view that our cars aren't not meant for 0-60 runs. Just want to be honest.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

My Altima had a lot of torque steer. AWD will be refreshing in contrast, but again I owned the Legacy, so to a point I know what I'm getting into.

I get what you're saying to a degree, and I'm not planning on timing my starts and expecting to hit 60 in 4.8 seconds everytime, but my point more so is that driving a car that has an alleged sub 5 second acceleration time will be more fun than say, a 2012 Civic SI that has 0-60 times listed anywhere from 6.8-8.4 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    You'll be greatly disappointed if those are what you're basing your purchase on.

No one should be driving like that on a public roads and in most cases repeated "launches" will destroy Subaru transmissions.
    If you're coming off a side street, turning onto a 50mph stretch of road, with no traffic, I see no problem enjoying the feeling of being pinned to your seat a little bit.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well everything is more fun than FWD lol

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm aware that the posted numbers are by professionals..
    That's highly debatable. I'd argue the average auto blogger isn't any more skilled at driving than you or I, but it's easy to push a car to its limits and beyond when it isn't yours.
    "What is the best track car? Your buddy's."

And 0-60 times are to me, the safest and most fun. 60-80 roll ons is territory for tickets on the freeway, but the rush of initial acceleration is fun!

The 2013 Porsche Caymen allegedly does 0-60 in the same time as a 2010 WRX. Before owning my Legacy GT, I owned an Explorer, a Wrangler and a Nissan Frontier and the awd Legacy was the balls in the winter, so that's something I'm looking forward to, but yeah, as squidly as it sounds 0-60 time is what strikes me the most.
    Well, if 0-60 is your key buying point, I'd look elsewhere then. Subaru transmissions are not meant to handle the stresses of hard 0-60 sprints, and the AWD system was never intended for such. Subaru designed their AWD system to maintain traction in inclement weather until normal driving speeds, not for blasting off at green lights.

If you'd like a great car for 0-60 runs, why not look at a used Corvette or the like? Those will blow the doors off any WRX in a straight line (and probably most corners), and such activities are far less likely to blow up the gearbox.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.