New Member - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New Member within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by michaelwfox Apples to Oranges EDIT: I'm not trying to sound like I'm discrediting 0-60 times. They have ...

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Apples to Oranges

EDIT: I'm not trying to sound like I'm discrediting 0-60 times. They have their place in the automotive world. I'm just trying to give someone looking to get into a WRX a realistic view that our cars aren't not meant for 0-60 runs. Just want to be honest.
    yeah, please be clear, theres no attitude or anything on my part, I'm enjoying this conversation and welcome and want the advice of people like you and/or current owners, etc.

But really... what are WRX's for then? Rally Racing? A turbo vehicle with awd "isn't meant for" quick launches? It'll be a daily driver, I'm no pro driver, I just get off on that feeling, the initial acceleration rush, and again I feel like it's the safest performance-minded thing to be concerned with. WRX's, I imagine, handle well. a lot of the curvy roads in NH are heavily wooded and have blind corners, so trying to experience what would make say, a WRX better than a Civic sedan in terms of handling, could lead to more accidents then simply accelerating briskly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My 05 Legacy got me to work down 6 exits of route 101 unplowed during a storm. I don't think the Vette will be the same experience

What should my ballpark be for a 2010-2012 WRX?

I Support ClubWRX
    2010 - $20k-$22k

2011+ - $24k-$26k
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Civic15 View Post
    But really... what are WRX's for then? Rally Racing? A turbo vehicle with awd "isn't meant for" quick launches? It'll be a daily driver, I'm no pro driver, I just get off on that feeling, the initial acceleration rush, and again I feel like it's the safest performance-minded thing to be concerned with. WRX's, I imagine, handle well. a lot of the curvy roads in NH are heavily wooded and have blind corners, so trying to experience what would make say, a WRX better than a Civic sedan in terms of handling, could lead to more accidents then simply accelerating briskly.
    Well, they do handle pretty well (though stock WRXs, especially the newer gens, do have some body roll and inherent understeer). What they mean by it not being meant for launches is this:

In a fwd or rwd car, when trying to put a lot of power to the ground, traction will break and tires will spin. In one of these cars, traction is rarely an issue. So instead of the initial shock of energy resulting in burning some rubber, it is borne by transmission components. If you dump the clutch, it's a huge shock to the differentials. If you slip the clutch, then you better be planning on getting a new one pretty soon. There often are new members who come on the board here confused as to why they are having clutch issues when they've "only launched it 6 or 7 times!"

This isn't to say that a wrx isn't a fun car, but the 0-60 numbers are particularly misleading with them because you have to damage the car to get them.

So what is it for? Well, not really rally racing, if you took a stock wrx on some mild offroading it would be fine but more serious stuff you need mods for. In my mind the wrx is "the more capable hot hatch." It is fun to drive (though the stock tune on the new models is garbage) and it can handle rough roads/inclement weather better than any of the other hot hatches (or sedans, if you don't get a hatch -_-).
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Still nothing wrong with looking at 0-60 times, other cars get roughed up to get there, too. BUT: in normal daily use you'll end up engaging normal, then getting down on the pedal and enjoying the rush. Especially in 3rd gear. That at least is my driving style. I avoid frying the clutch but still DRIVE and find it to be a very capable and rewarding car with practicality built in. I have not had the "honor" of trying the factory set-up, mine came modded and has aftermarket sways, turbo, coilover and the likes. so it doesn't quite compare, but still makes me smile whenever I get deeper into the pedal and throw it around turns.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

What should my ballpark be for a 2010-2012 WRX?
    You can swing 25K in NE on a "base" 2013 WRX. Start with something "you can break in" and make your own .
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. Within 75 miles I found 3 WRXs under 23 grand... none under 20 (2010+). Didn't think I'd be looking new, but for not much more to have the piece of mind of not worrying about neglect or abuse... I'll broaden my search, check out those older STIs.. but we'll see. Cogito, I see we're both in NH, which Subie dealers do you prefer, or warn against? I've heard Ocean Subaru is awful.

I went with Manchester Subaru. They have a high volume of WRX's (or did..lol) , and It was one of the smoothest transactions I've ever had. And there are at least three other community (recent) posts here with newbies purchasing from Manchester (they can chime in). Verdicts out on overall dealership quality long run, but so far so good. Best of luck.

D
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Stupid question... when people mention the STI needing more maintenance, or the STI isn't worth the maintenance over the WRX... what does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    You can swing 25K in NE on a "base" 2013 WRX. Start with something "you can break in" and make your own .
    First email attempt with a dealer came back > the base sedan is MSRP of $26,790 and a dealer invoice of $25,720, did you mean 25 with money down?

I Support ClubWRX
    Stupid question... when people mention the STI needing more maintenance, or the STI isn't worth the maintenance over the WRX... what does that mean?
    Not really sure. Both cars require the same maintenance. Even the maintenance schedule is the same.

Do you have a thread to reference this claim? Might help us figure out what they meant.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

First email attempt with a dealer came back > the base sedan is MSRP of $26,790 and a dealer invoice of $25,720, did you mean 25 with money down?
    I had to negotiate. But I "did not" mention trade-in, nor money down when talking price. I treat those as separate transactions.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.