Proud Texas Subaru owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Proud Texas Subaru owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; On August 16th I traded the Z Car life style for a more enjoyable WRX life. I really like my ...

I Support ClubWRX

Proud Texas Subaru owner

On August 16th I traded the Z Car life style for a more enjoyable WRX life. I really like my new car, I know it's not an sti but could not justify the maintenance and upkeep being my DD. I have a few things I would like to do in the next few months.

Purchased - 2013 WRX Limited Hatchback in the classic WR Blue. The sticker noted short throw shifter was also installed.

I feel I got a deal on her, and know from reading a few posts everyone's curious what the price was - out the door including TT& L (in Texas) I was slightly below $25k

Looking to do the following, and advice or suggestions are appreciated as long as they are constructive.

antenna
    front plate delete - looking maybe a Cobb? Texas is finally going naked (no more front plate)
    clear bra maybe?
    Cat back exhaust
    Turbo heat shield
    Strut tower bar
    Cold air intake

My first questions are:

what can't I do to determine the short throw shifter has been installed?

has anyone else notices a shake/ shimmy or spike in idle when sitting at a light (w/ ac on)

sometimes it seems a little rough getting into reverse after it sits over night = normal?

And if course I couldn't leave this first post without a photo - before/after.

For anything else feel free to participate

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!
    Last edited by jtk07; 08-28-2013 at 09:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    If you're thinking of having Clear Bra installed have it done ASAP. Otherwise you'll have a sand blasted front end within a blink of an eye.

Also as extra suggestions regarding the clear bra. Have the shop replace the wimpy OE bra on both your rear door wheel flairs. Those gets sandblasted too. Plus the rocker panels that run under the driver/passenger doors. Passengers tend to drag their feet getting in and out of the car scuffing/scratching up the paint.

I also recommend getting mud flaps. I have the Rally Armor Urethane flaps on mine which I love.

I got all of the above done and my car still looks pristine as a showroom car and I've taken it off gravel trails quite often, plus 3 seasons of sandy winter roads.

• has anyone else notices a shake/ shimmy or spike in idle when sitting at a light (w/ ac on)

• sometimes it seems a little rough getting into reverse after it sits over night = normal?
    Yes both normal. AC adds some extra load on the engine that can be felt once AC clutch is engaged. Our reverse gear is not synchronized so you may have to do the 1-2-R gear shuffle to get it into reverse. Also do not shift into reverse unless the car is completely stationary or you'll end up grinding reverse.

BTW Congrats on the new car!
    Last edited by KHP; 08-28-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    If you're thinking of having Clear Bra installed have it done ASAP. Otherwise you'll have a sand blasted front end within a blink of an eye.

Also as extra suggestions regarding the clear bra. Have the shop replace the wimpy OE bra on both your rear door wheel flairs. Those gets sandblasted too. Plus the rocker panels that run under the driver/passenger doors. People tend to drag their feet getting in and out of the car scuffing/scratching up the paint.

I also recommend getting mud flaps. I have the Rally Armor Urethane flaps on mine which I love.

I got all of the above done and my car still looks pristine as a showroom car and I've taken it off gravel trails quite often.

BTW Congrats on the new car!

Thank you! The mudflaps are something to definitely think about

~ jtk07~

What was the name of the dealership that sold you the new WRX limited for under 25k out the door?

Nice choice! I came from an '07 350z HR enthusiast to a 2013 Limited DGM sedan.

The stock shifter is pretty big and old school, so you will probably know right away which one you got (or you could post a pic of the inside).

It looks like your car already comes with tint. Make sure you read up on the intakes for the newer models before you make the plunge, I personally found my money was better spent in other areas (i.e. Cobb AP).

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jtk07 View Post
    front plate delete - looking maybe a Cobb? Texas is finally going naked (no more front plate)

For what it's worth, this is false information. TX still requires front plates, and they must be installed on the bumper (windshield not acceptable).

That said, I haven't ran a front plate on my WRX in 11 years and have only been stopped for it twice, never ticketed.

I'll add one more bit of wisdom: A CAI will need to be tuned for.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX

Proud Texas Subaru owner

Delete this double post plz
    Last edited by jtk07; 08-29-2013 at 06:26 PM.

I Support ClubWRX

Proud Texas Subaru owner

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    For what it's worth, this is false information. TX still requires front plates, and they must be installed on the bumper (windshield not acceptable).

That said, I haven't ran a front plate on my WRX in 11 years and have only been stopped for it twice, never ticketed.
    Sorry but this information from both of us is incorrect. Starting Monday September 1 2013 Texas will no longer issue 2 plates.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Search/...ighlightType=1

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAD View Post
    What was the name of the dealership that sold you the new WRX limited for under 25k out the door?
    I was able to work a sweet deal with my trade. With USAA, my loan pre-approval and a bit of back and forth negotiating that was the price.

Ended up being $200 over invoice. Two well seasoned employees drove my z only to find later after the deal it needed a clutch, flywheel, brakes, rotors convertible work, passenger exterior door handle, a nail in one of the rear $350+ tires and the other looked low....& the latest news it had major oil leaks, and I was told oil was soaked all over the skid plate.

Never noticed any oil in the garage?? Not sure what all the issues were from or when it started - I'm just happy to have gotten rid of it.

Best advice I can give is this, make the the dealers fight each other. Get trade in quotes on paper and go in ore approved (even if you decide to try for other financing). It's hard for a dealer to turn down an offer like - I know what I was offered at dealer "abc" if you could match that or beat it and lower the car price to $..... I would buy it tonight. Don't be afraid to go in at 630pm-7pm and start working deals, they won't leave to go home unless they can see thru a bluff.

I still have dealers calling saying we are willing to lower the price to .. Or give you 500$ more than..

Pm me for dealer details.

~ jtk07~

Sorry but this information from both of us is incorrect. Starting Monday September 1 2013 Texas will no longer issue 2 plates.

83(R) HB 657 - Introduced version - Bill Text

My understanding is that this has already been voted down, and now went to committee, scheduled to be reheard September first.. but they have other things they're voting on and it's very unlikely it will even come to another vote at this point.

On top of that, somewhere in there it says if you are issued two plates you must run two plates. Only if you are issued one plate are you allowed to have a single plate on display. I have always been issued two plates.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    My understanding is that this has already been voted down, and now went to committee, scheduled to be reheard September first.. but they have other things they're voting on and it's very unlikely it will even come to another vote at this point.

On top of that, somewhere in there it says if you are issued two plates you must run two plates. Only if you are issued one plate are you allowed to have a single plate on display. I have always been issued two plates.
    When my new plates come in I will let you know if it get 1 or 2.

I know about 2 years ago the penalty had fallen out of the books and became the digression of the judge. Not sure but expect plates soon.

~ jtk07~

It's never made a difference to me in 11 years, since I've always just ran one plate anyways.. it's a law that I've never seen enforced. That'll be interesting to know if they start issuing only one plate, but it really makes no difference to those of us that only ran one plate from the start.

zax
    A little different in Maryland....
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I was able to work a sweet deal with my trade. With USAA, my loan pre-approval and a bit of back and forth negotiating that was the price.

Ended up being $200 over invoice. Two well seasoned employees drove my z only to find later after the deal it needed a clutch, flywheel, brakes, rotors convertible work, passenger exterior door handle, a nail in one of the rear $350+ tires and the other looked low....& the latest news it had major oil leaks, and I was told oil was soaked all over the skid plate.

Never noticed any oil in the garage?? Not sure what all the issues were from or when it started - I'm just happy to have gotten rid of it.

Best advice I can give is this, make the the dealers fight each other. Get trade in quotes on paper and go in ore approved (even if you decide to try for other financing). It's hard for a dealer to turn down an offer like - I know what I was offered at dealer "abc" if you could match that or beat it and lower the car price to $..... I would buy it tonight. Don't be afraid to go in at 630pm-7pm and start working deals, they won't leave to go home unless they can see thru a bluff.

I still have dealers calling saying we are willing to lower the price to .. Or give you 500$ more than..

Pm me for dealer details.

~ jtk07~
    Ah OK ! That was your price AFTER trade in. I misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAD View Post
    Ah OK ! That was your price AFTER trade in. I misunderstood.
    Yeah like $25k OTD is at least $3k-$4k under invoice. I was like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast