Is the WRX an ok car for family and stuff?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is the WRX an ok car for family and stuff? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm coming from a Nissan Xterra which has space for 5 people and a fair amount of space in the ...

Is the WRX an ok car for family and stuff?

I'm coming from a Nissan Xterra which has space for 5 people and a fair amount of space in the back. Gas mileage sucks (slightly worse than WRX) and the ride sucks. I'm honestly struggling a bit with pulling the trigger on a WRX because the gas mileage isn't good, you need premium fuel, the summer tires on the car, etc. But I honestly don't see much else out there I like. I guess the $25k-$30k is tough to swallow for a car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's not bad. It was my main family car for years. Your criticisms are valid though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by grendels_wrx View Post
    I'm coming from a Nissan Xterra which has space for 5 people and a fair amount of space in the back. Gas mileage sucks (slightly worse than WRX) and the ride sucks. I'm honestly struggling a bit with pulling the trigger on a WRX because the gas mileage isn't good, you need premium fuel, the summer tires on the car, etc. But I honestly don't see much else out there I like. I guess the $25k-$30k is tough to swallow for a car.
    Kinda comparing apples and oranges to me. Sounds like you're in the market for another SUV with better gas mileage. The WRX is a performance car.... with a turbo ... granted it does have utility. However, you will have a big smile on your face after driving one.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I have a baby coming in +/- 12 days and I drive a WRX... that I bought 9 months ago Truth of the matter is, I had a civic and when I switched to a WRX my insurance went down because it was considered a safer car.

I Support ClubWRX
    its also my main family car. the civic and wife's prelude weren't going to cut it and i still wanted to have a little bit of fun (when the baby isn't in the car of course)

yes there are many better family car options for the price, but for the fun factor balanced in for the price, it's in a class of it's own. unless you want a ralliart lancer. i didn't.

IMO keep the xterra til it runs ashore. hopefully by that time you'll have more second hand WRX options, or use the money toward a new one which will (probably) be better.
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    Kinda comparing apples and oranges to me. Sounds like you're in the market for another SUV with better gas mileage. The WRX is a performance car.... with a turbo ... granted it does have utility. However, you will have a big smile on your face after driving one.

Actually I've only ever had sports cars before the Xterra and only reason I bought it in 2006 was to haul my motorcycles. Since I rarely bike anymore an SUV isn't needed. But I don't want some 2 door sports car either and the WRX has plenty of room inside and a good size cargo area.

Quote Originally Posted by impretzel View Post
    \
    IMO keep the xterra til it runs ashore. hopefully by that time you'll have more second hand WRX options, or use the money toward a new one which will (probably) be better.
    Well the Xterra is already starting to bleed me more and more with repairs. Your opinion is wait till its dead and by then Subaru will be making a better WRX?

I Support ClubWRX
    i thought it had at least a few more years on it. hopefully with the next gen coming out in a year or 2 you can go for it IF you desire. also, the next gen out should mean the previous gen should be a little cheaper. then again, just .o2 cents.
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

Quote Originally Posted by impretzel View Post
    i thought it had at least a few more years on it. hopefully with the next gen coming out in a year or 2 you can go for it IF you desire. also, the next gen out should mean the previous gen should be a little cheaper. then again, just .o2 cents.
    O sure its not falling apart or anything. However more and more things are breaking and need done just like any car with high mileage. I'm not one for trading in or selling a car every few years or anything. I'm guessing alot of people dont wait till their car is on its last legs. You sound too conservative like me and youre talking me out of a WRX.

Registered User Captain Obvious's Avatar
    I traded out of a Volvo into the WRX, looks smaller but the WRX has more usable room inside. With a newborn, the backseat didn't have enough room, but the WRX has enough room for the wife to sit up front and infant rear facing seat behind her. Trunk has enough room for us to load a large collapsable stroller and our softball gear bag in the back (empty seat behind me). I also added roof rack and a generic safari basket up top for road trips.

I don't mind the premium fuel, but wish the gas mileage was better.

I do also have a Suburban for events requiring lots of stuff, but daily and trips for 2.5 people for 4 days, the WRX works fine. I also need to purchase a hitch for tossing the bikes on the rear.

And it is a blast to drive!

Keep in mind too the hatch has more interior space than the sedan, if you do get a WRX. That's why I got my hatch; I do a lot of outdoor stuff being here in Washington and I love the utility of a car that can carve mountain roads, both pavement and gravel
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ford Fusion Eco-boost. Your problems have been solved.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Ford Fusion Eco-boost. Your problems have been solved.
    No thanks. Not a hatch and plus the cars shape don't do it for me. My guess is I'm holding back for the $$$ reason. But I guess most halfway decent cars cost in the $20k-$30k range these days with all the safety crap on them. With the WRX you got the all wheel drive, then you add on the sunroof and leather you've got $30k

I Support ClubWRX
    It really depends on the "family". If you're talking about one kid, a WRX will probably do well. If you have more than one, you're tall people, and travel a lot, maybe not so much.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    It really depends on the "family". If you're talking about one kid, a WRX will probably do well. If you have more than one, you're tall people, and travel a lot, maybe not so much.
    I've sat in them at the dealer and they have plenty of room inside just as much as my Xterra I think. Surprising how much room passengers have for a performance car. The cargo area actually is probably same as my Xterra just Xterra has more height in cargo area.

All people I hang with are vertically challenged so no problem there. Also I've seen the WRX seems to be not one of those cars built for short people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast