Is the WRX an ok car for family and stuff? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is the WRX an ok car for family and stuff? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Xterra's are terrible vehicles. We traded my fiances in a year ago due to raising maintenance costs and time in ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Xterra's are terrible vehicles. We traded my fiances in a year ago due to raising maintenance costs and time in the shop.

Gas mileage isn't that bad really, it all depends on how you drive. You could see 27-28 mpg with the right amount of restraint.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by grendels_wrx View Post
    I've sat in them at the dealer and they have plenty of room inside just as much as my Xterra I think. Surprising how much room passengers have for a performance car. The cargo area actually is probably same as my Xterra just Xterra has more height in cargo area.

All people I hang with are vertically challenged so no problem there. Also I've seen the WRX seems to be not one of those cars built for short people.
    Lots of headroom, but legroom vanishes quickly when there are car seats involved.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Does it have to be new? If you're looking for more space over a WRX, you could look for a last-gen Legacy GT wagon or Outback XT (which is just a lifted Legacy GT, basically).

You get a detuned version of the STI engine, a 5 or 6 speed manual (or a 5 speed auto) depending on the year, and all the practicality of a Legacy wagon for much less than the price of a new WRX.

I have an Outback 3.0R with the flat 6, and while it doesn't feel as spirited as the newest WRXs, it feels pretty close power-wise to my 2003 modified WRX.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Does it have to be new? If you're looking for more space over a WRX, you could look for a last-gen Legacy GT wagon or Outback XT (which is just a lifted Legacy GT, basically).

You get a detuned version of the STI engine, a 5 or 6 speed manual (or a 5 speed auto) depending on the year, and all the practicality of a Legacy wagon for much less than the price of a new WRX.

I have an Outback 3.0R with the flat 6, and while it doesn't feel as spirited as the newest WRXs, it feels pretty close power-wise to my 2003 modified WRX.
    My car - evil I know
    Used Car - Unknown possible evil
    NEW - Warranty and no one has touched and not evil unless a lemon

I really might as well keep my car instead of getting another used. The reason I'm looking is my car is getting into the mileage range of more and more problems. Yes I've already put in some money for this stuff, but just because I've put in $$ recently doesn't mean I should keep it another few years and inflict upon myself more unscheduled maintenance costs. I don't want a sedan as I prefer a hatch for loading stuff and more room.

I like the looks of the WRX. Other than the Crosstek, which I wish had a turbo as I would be all over it, there's nothing that I fancy from Subaru. The BRZ ok but not into 2 door sports cars at this point in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Xterra's are terrible vehicles. We traded my fiances in a year ago due to raising maintenance costs and time in the shop.

Gas mileage isn't that bad really, it all depends on how you drive. You could see 27-28 mpg with the right amount of restraint.
    I've been actually somewhat fortunate in some ways. Not so in other ways. Other than this year the only thing ever wrong was a wheel hub which was covered under the certified car warranty.

However this year has been brakes all around, rear shocks (all normal at a high mileage but all at once). But the killer this year is my radiator was one of the ones in the class action lawsuit. Since the transmission oil lines run into the radiator the defect is that the lines inside the radiator crack, which in turns causes tranny oil in your radiator and coolant in your tranny. I caught it early but still dealer recommended I take advantage of Nissan covering alot of the cost for a new radiator, tranny, flushing out all the crap, etc. If I had to pay cost was $7000. My copay, the amount Nissan said you have to pay if you have this problem under between 90k and 100k mileage was $3000. Tough pill to swallow and this plus the normal high mileage maintenance stuff above is scaring me a bit about this car.

I Support ClubWRX
    All people I hang with are vertically challenged so no problem there. Also I've seen the WRX seems to be not one of those cars built for short people.
    Don't have my WRX yet, but it's on order. I test drove both the sedan and wagon and found this to not be true. I'm only 5'6" and I fit perfectly in all seats very comfortably.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    Don't have my WRX yet, but it's on order. I test drove both the sedan and wagon and found this to not be true. I'm only 5'6" and I fit perfectly in all seats very comfortably.
    Im 6'4" and I fit pretty good in all the seats as well. The WRX has a lot more room than I thought it would have. Still gotta wait til december!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    I misspoke. I meant that whenever I got in a WRX at the dealer there is always plenty of room for people tall and short.

LOL @ fusion with eco boost. drew u must have bad luck with subies cause your always bashing on them.
    grendal, pull the trigger and get a wrx. stay away from any of them that are older than 2011. they will have way to many miles, and the 08-10 are notorious for enghine problems. 2011+ are solid, powerfull reliable cars. i have 2 kids, a 2 year old and a newborn, although i only have my 2 years olds car seat in my car, because my wife keeps the infant seat on hers, whenever i do have to put both kids in my car, there is still plenty of room. as long as your not 6'5". buying my 2011 wrx was the best choice IMO. you get saftey with the AWD, and performance with the turbo. you gotta remember that the car is only as powerful as how heavy your foot is. depending on your financial situation, they are pretty addordable too. by all means, i dont make a lot of money, but im able to afford my WRX @ only $325/month + $130/month insurance. i financed thru my credit union and got great rates and monthly payments plus an extra 40K miles bumper to bumper warranty for cheap. i put like 6 thousnad as down payment though cause someone T-boned my other car and i got a payoff on it. if ur xterra is paid off im sure u could sell it for at least 4k if not more. sell that POS and use the whole amount as a down payment. you wont regret it man. its the perfect all around car, IMO. the paint sucks though lol id look into getting a clear brah or something of the sort

Quote Originally Posted by Motoxdude6 View Post
    LOL @ fusion with eco boost. drew u must have bad luck with subies cause your always bashing on them.
    grendal, pull the trigger and get a wrx. stay away from any of them that are older than 2011. they will have way to many miles, and the 08-10 are notorious for enghine problems. 2011+ are solid, powerfull reliable cars. i have 2 kids, a 2 year old and a newborn, although i only have my 2 years olds car seat in my car, because my wife keeps the infant seat on hers, whenever i do have to put both kids in my car, there is still plenty of room. as long as your not 6'5". buying my 2011 wrx was the best choice IMO. you get saftey with the AWD, and performance with the turbo. you gotta remember that the car is only as powerful as how heavy your foot is. depending on your financial situation, they are pretty addordable too. by all means, i dont make a lot of money, but im able to afford my WRX @ only $325/month + $130/month insurance. i financed thru my credit union and got great rates and monthly payments plus an extra 40K miles bumper to bumper warranty for cheap. i put like 6 thousnad as down payment though cause someone T-boned my other car and i got a payoff on it. if ur xterra is paid off im sure u could sell it for at least 4k if not more. sell that POS and use the whole amount as a down payment. you wont regret it man. its the perfect all around car, IMO. the paint sucks though lol id look into getting a clear brah or something of the sort
    Yeah the 3M film for the front I've already thought out.

Yeah Xterra long since paid off. It's not a matter really if I can afford it. Any car I am gonna want will be in that range. It's a matter is it the best car. I'm in my low 40's agewise and I get told this is a young dudes car.

So the paint sucks? Teh engines were crap a few years ago, radio sucks, interior is outdated. Geez it's like the AWD is only good thing.
    Last edited by grendels_wrx; 08-28-2013 at 01:16 PM.

This is a every person car, I'm 54. Just depends on what yah want. I wanted a fun time when driving to work, and on weekend adventures. Plus, it does have utility of space, and AWD. It's not going to be a CTS, BMW, lexus, ergo plush. But I like it. Of course I've driven mostly trucks and older sports cars...lol. Can't speak to overall reliability of engine, except what I've seen with a few of my friends REX's, which is pretty impressive, actually. Good luck, go with what makes you happy. Life is short.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

My GF did point out it's a every person car for those with experience . I just don't want the WRX to get pigeon holed into a young dude only car. which it is not.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

I'm pretty sure they only make 4eat for the WRX. IIRC, they've only made a 4eat for every auto they marketed. I may be wrong though.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    It really depends on the "family". If you're talking about one kid, a WRX will probably do well. If you have more than one, you're tall people, and travel a lot, maybe not so much.
    That's what the wifes car is for.

Yeah the 3M film for the front I've already thought out.

Yeah Xterra long since paid off. It's not a matter really if I can afford it. Any car I am gonna want will be in that range. It's a matter is it the best car. I'm in my low 40's agewise and I get told this is a young dudes car.

So the paint sucks? Teh engines were crap a few years ago, radio sucks, interior is outdated. Geez it's like the AWD is only good thing.
    def look into the front film. its a great car man, its solid, durable and reliable all the way around IMO. like i said, 08-10 ive heard bad stuff about the engines. 11+ is the way to go. the radio isnt the best, that is true, but its just the head unit. throw in an aftermarket units and u should be good to go. the interior is def not outdated. its interior is super nice. PULL THE TRIGGER! you wont regret it! ive had my car since december and it still puts a cheezer on my face everytime i drive it especially with satage 2 tune pulling 270 WHP and hearing the turbo go woooooooshhhh!!!! when i gas it haha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast