Shift Knob Retard

This is a discussion on Shift Knob Retard within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; New to the scene. Just got hands on 2012 WRX 4dr - stock everything. Looking to change shift knob but ...

Shift Knob Retard

New to the scene. Just got hands on 2012 WRX 4dr - stock everything. Looking to change shift knob but keep things simple. After takin a look around I want the leather 22b style on the STI from back in the day, think it was 99. Found one, says it will fit all subaru 5 speeds, which I don't doubt, however I'm an anal retentive obsessive compulsive freak and want it to fit snug up against the boot as if it was stock. Before I go ahead and buy this, anyone have a clue if it will fit or leave a gap between the knob and boot which will drive me insane? If u know what's up, much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Since the length of the shifter didn't change, the boot should be long enough. I guess if I were you, I would know the return policy before buying lol.

The shift boot should fit fine as long as the size of the collar on the bottom of the knob is the same size as stock. The boot is held in place from the inside by a stiff rubber ring. The collar I'm talking about is in white in the picture below.

OEM Knob

Cobb Knob

So here's the deal..... Like a glove! Ordered it, got it, screwed that badboy on with the quickness and it fits perfect! Appreciate u guys lookin out. If u really want to know how it went down, here goes. It does have the same size collar as on the 2012 stock, boot matches up evenly, and looks phenomenal! Would send a pic to show how much better it looks but I don't want anyone biting my style lol. Jk!

Big shout to the the guys at rallispec.com. Called up with the very same dumb ass question and went beyond expectation to help out. Nice to know you don't need to be fast and furious to get a professional opinion. Very helpful, professional, and recommend to any owner out there lookin to make moves!