question on possible used wrx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on question on possible used wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So Ive been creeping around the forums for a while a now just reading and learning since I have been ...

question on possible used wrx

So Ive been creeping around the forums for a while a now just reading and learning since I have been looking to buy a wrx for a few months now.

Ive come across alot of potentials, but none of them fit the bill. Im on a budget, but I still want a decent car, so I will stay patient to find the right deal.

But as I am looking, I have come across quite a few that have rebuilt engines and whatnot but DO NOT have salvage titles...
    So for example, I was looking at this one 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX wrb and when I read "new engine", I realized that this could either be a very good thing(just replacing an old engine to give it more life), or a sketchy thing(wrecked it and took care of it himself). But I just dont know. So My question is: Is this a potential problem? Or is this expected? He says he has the receipt and it was from a Subaru Dealer. Also, in a more general sense, Is it common for engines to be rebuilt on higher mileage cars.

In a situation like this should I just walk away? Or could this be a good deal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by doinwork34 View Post
    But as I am looking, I have come across quite a few that have rebuilt engines and whatnot but DO NOT have salvage titles...
    So for example, I was looking at this one 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX wrb and when I read "new engine", I realized that this could either be a very good thing(just replacing an old engine to give it more life), or a sketchy thing(wrecked it and took care of it himself).
    If it has a brand new engine, what difference would it make that the car had the timing belt replaced at 110,000 miles? That'd be the old engine.

But I just dont know.
    Neither do I.

Is this a potential problem?
    Potentially.

Or is this expected?
    An engine failure for what is essentially a "new" car should not be expected. That doesn't mean it won't happen.

Is it common for engines to be rebuilt on higher mileage cars.
    It depends on the car and the math. Sometimes it's simply cheaper in the long run to move on. Other times it's cheaper to fit a used engine instead.

In a situation like this should I just walk away?
    I don't know. I would.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

$9500 for a 05 with 159k sounds like a lot regardless.

I bought my 03 three years ago (so it was newer than this car is now) with 98k on it, completely clean and in perfect condition for $8,800.

I'd walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If it has a brand new engine, what difference would it make that the car had the timing belt replaced at 110,000 miles? That'd be the old engine.
    Are you saying that there could be some foul play going on here? Or are you just pointing out the fact that the timing belt is obsolete because of a new engine?

Also, I know that you have no more info on this than I do, but what if you could get this car for 6500? Would you still walk away? And I know that your standards are much higher than mine, but if you were a first time buyer (mechanically inclined) looking for a cheaper car?

Thanks for you patience

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post

I'd walk away.

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you saying that there could be some foul play going on here? Or are you just pointing out the fact that the timing belt is obsolete because of a new engine?
    The latter.

I would be tempted at a lower price but reliability would remain unknown. I honestly don't know how comfortable I'd be. Walking away is cheaper.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

great, thanks you guys.

Here is something else interesting. This guy says its an STI, but Im concerned since he didnt post any good pictures of anything that would show that its an sti (besides the steering wheel which can be swapped). I emailed him for some more pics, but just want to get your guys' opinions. 2003 WRX STI

great, thanks you guys.

Here is something else interesting. This guy says its an STI, but Im concerned since he didnt post any good pictures of anything that would show that its an sti (besides the steering wheel which can be swapped). I emailed him for some more pics, but just want to get your guys' opinions. 2003 WRX STI
    Looks to me like he just pulled the dash and steering wheel off of a 2nd gen. The wheels look like off of a 11-13 wrx. Based off the post the only upgrades are an intake and exhaust. I would want a pic of the engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    Looks to me like he just pulled the dash and steering wheel off of a 2nd gen. The wheels look like off of a 11-13 wrx. Based off the post the only upgrades are an intake and exhaust. I would want a pic of the engine bay.
    Yup. I was texting him, and as soon as I asked for more pics of the engine bay, I havent heard back :/ So I guess he knows that I know

I Support ClubWRX
    Engine bay pics unnecessary.

Engine bay pics unnecessary.
    Lol. The STi didn't come to the states until 04 but some ppl do swaps. If he put that much money into the bugeye I am sure he would want to show it off.

I Support ClubWRX
    My thinking was that the STi cars with those lamps (shared with LHD WRX cars) had roof vents. Only the lesser STi models had no roof vent but those in turn had projector lamps. Therefore it's at best a DIY clone but since no details are shown or listed... I expect less.

My thinking was that the STi cars with those lamps (shared with LHD WRX cars) had roof vents. Only the lesser STi models had no roof vent but those in turn had projector lamps. Therefore it's at best a DIY clone but since no details are shown or listed... I expect less.
    Exactly.

Alright guys, Im thinking about this one now: 02 Subaru WRX

He sent me some other pics of the engine and interior. It looks nice, he says its all stock (Ill very this with a third party) and he said besides the 105k maintanence its in good conition. So would you guys have any reserves about getting something like this?

Alright guys, Im thinking about this one now: 02 Subaru WRX

He sent me some other pics of the engine and interior. It looks nice, he says its all stock (Ill very this with a third party) and he said besides the 105k maintanence its in good conition. So would you guys have any reserves about getting something like this?
    The price is a bit high. I would offer $6k. Other than that it looks pretty clean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast