question on possible used wrx - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on question on possible used wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Miggs The price is a bit high. I would offer k. Other than that it looks pretty ...

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    The price is a bit high. I would offer $6k. Other than that it looks pretty clean.
    Honestly, an $8k asking price is really good. Bugeyes under 100k on the clock are still pulling $9k-$10k all over the place. I'd offer $7k if it checks out...wait for his counter at $7500 and take the deal. You don't want to low ball the **** out of the guy.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Alright guys, I got another question. So the owner brought the car in to the shop a few weeks ago and he sent me the inspection list. I will list some things here and let me know if these are normal problems or if the car has been beaten on more than it should?
    Also, the link to the car is in my last post. Its the 2002 wrx.

inner axel boots split open and cracked on all four sides
    Rotors warped, breaks new.
    alignment issues
    Shift shaft seal leaking
    High pitched whine from front of engine; could be alternator further inspection required.
    Last edited by doinwork34; 08-27-2013 at 01:28 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    No problem is normal.

I don't drive around with split axle boots.

Since further inspection is required for the whine, nobody can answer that.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by doinwork34 View Post
    Alright guys, I got another question. So the owner brought the car in to the shop a few weeks ago and he sent me the inspection list. I will list some things here and let me know if these are normal problems or if the car has been beaten on more than it should?
    Also, the link to the car is in my last post. Its the 2002 wrx.

inner axel boots split open and cracked on all four sides
    Rotors warped, breaks new.
    alignment issues
    Shift shaft seal leaking
    High pitched whine from front of engine; could be alternator further inspection required.
    -The boot splitting could be from wear and tear, but you still need to get the axle off. Boot = $20 ish. If you're saying the axle is cracked, you're going to be replacing all four which I think run around $110 each (I'm using a number from my Si, for the subbie it could be higher)
    -The rotors are warped so no questions asked, those will need to be replaced. Depending on how much you want to spend, anywhere from $40 on up. (warped rotors is a good sign that the car was either driven recklessly or hard. There are occasions where they're just old from never being replaced. You'll have to find out when they were replaced and make an educated a guess on what happened)
    -alignment is normal. Could be from getting new rim/tires without a balance, hitting a curb, having the rim hit something, or just normal driving and tear. The list could go on but you get the idea.
    -Shift shaft leaks? Transmission issue. Easy fix though, just have to buy new gaskets. Again, not familiar with subbies but this is really not normal. Let's say, out of the ordinary.
    -Engine whining? Could be a bunch of different things.

Long story short, just about everything on that list is something that is you don't deal with on a regular basis, i.e. not normal.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    No problem is normal.

I don't drive around with split axle boots.

Since further inspection is required for the whine, nobody can answer that.
    ^ 100%

thanks guys. I checked out the car and once I heard the whining I quickly recognized it as the water pump pully bearing, so that should be an easy fix when I replace the belts.

I think the rotors are warped from just being old since the car is 11 years old...and Im sure it was driven hard at some point... (of course I will do a little more investigating as Skandiluz suggested)

The 'boots' are torn and cracked. Not the actual axel or joint. But the car still rides, idles, and steers totally smooth so I would assume not too much damage has been done yet. Im thinking I may rebuild the joints and get new boots to prolong the axle life(will that help at all?).

And the shift shaft leak seems to be very, very small since I cant seem to even find any leaked fluid around it. But the mechanic said it was there, so I will keep an eye on it.

And the alignemnt issue is not a big deal since its like 80 bucks to get it fixed.

Everything seems to check out. If it's the boot itself, they're like $10-$25 a piece, not a big deal, as long as the axles themselves are still in tact. I'd look at how much wear there is and decide if you want to replace them or not. Other than the shaft leak, I'd say get it if the price is right. The most you're looking at is $600 to get everything fixed/repaired, but this is on the high end, so I doubt you'll even pay that much. Just try to get as much detailed information as you can from the seller and a mechanic. Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skandiluz View Post
    Everything seems to check out. If it's the boot itself, they're like $10-$25 a piece, not a big deal, as long as the axles themselves are still in tact. I'd look at how much wear there is and decide if you want to replace them or not. Other than the shaft leak, I'd say get it if the price is right. The most you're looking at is $600 to get everything fixed/repaired, but this is on the high end, so I doubt you'll even pay that much. Just try to get as much detailed information as you can from the seller and a mechanic. Good luck with it.
    I've never heard of a case where you can just replace the boot. I was always under the impression that you had to replace the whole axle on a Subaru...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I've never heard of a case where you can just replace the boot. I was always under the impression that you had to replace the whole axle on a Subaru...
    That is probably true for Subaru's, I wouldn't know as I do not own one yet. I have however replaced the boot on my 92 civic, so I used that as my reference. After 2 months I ended up replacing the front axle anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.