Reintroduction to suby world

This is a discussion on Reintroduction to suby world within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone , I just deactivated my account after almost a ten year hiatus. I had a 02 wrx when ...

Reintroduction to suby world

Hello everyone , I just deactivated my account after almost a ten year hiatus. I had a 02 wrx when they came out and sold it back in 04/05 and got into motorcycles. I'm hanging up my rags and putting the kickstand down for good after years of MC life. Too many broken bones, wrecks , surgeries, funerals and other things I won't speak of my lifestyle over the last few years has worn on me and I'm done. Not to mention I have a family now and I want to be around for my son. So, that being said I'm returning to my previous love, a turbocharged flat 4 beast. I'm coming back here to research before my purchase. I'm intending on buying a black STI hatch but I am clueless about what is what now. Any advice on recent year models is appreciated. Thanx, I look forward to chattin with you all and relearning this world

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome (back)!

I suppose the first question is, what's your budget? Are you planning on buying new?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I'm going to most likely buy new unless I can find a unabused used late model in black but that doesn't seem likely. So suggestions on what to order or not order on the car would be cool. I "plan" on light modifications for now that won't kill my warranty or at least mods easily hidden or easily returned to stock if a serious warranty issue were to arise. Also any recommendation on that would be appreciated. Suspension and power.

What sort of creature comforts do you desire?

For the most part, the factory "performance" options are not worth the extra money. Aftermarket is cheaper and better, and as far as the warranty goes, well, that all depends on how far you want to go with the car before the warranty is up.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Sunroof would be nice . Do the sunroofs recess into the headliner or pop out and back over the roof ? I haven't found a pic with an open sunroof. Other then that I may add a bike rack. Really in open to any suggestions u guys would give to a new buyer. Sorry to be vague but tyPing is a bitch right now, I have a broken right arm and hammer thumbs typing on iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg313 View Post
    Sunroof would be nice . Do the sunroofs recess into the headliner or pop out and back over the roof ? I haven't found a pic with an open sunroof. Other then that I may add a bike rack. Really in open to any suggestions u guys would give to a new buyer. Sorry to be vague but tyPing is a bitch right now, I have a broken right arm and hammer thumbs typing on iPhone

I have a 2010 WRX and the "moon roof" I think is the term is recessed into the roof when open. You lose headroom inside, but nothing noticeable btw. I don't think STI's come with them, but can be special ordered that way to the best of my knowledge. maybe someone can confirm that.

Hi OP & welcome! The moonroof is included on the new WRX premium and limited models. It can slide completely open or tilt upward. I'm not sure about the STI packages, but I would assume its included as well?

Thanks , looking around and doing pricing Im slightly considering a Wrx instead of sti or maybe a used sti as it looks like once tax and everything is done out the door it'll be up close to $40k. Not cool . I like the idea if a 6 speed and the LSD control but i also like simple as I see evil $ signs when expensive parts go bad. I ran my 02 wrx with sti injectors, vf30, DR650 fmic, walboro pump and fuel mngt with a bad ass tune and got high 12s in the quarter mile and drove that car hard for two years with stock clutch and no tranny issues so if I get the same or slightly better performance out of a 2.5L wrx I'd be happy. I'd just really be missing those brembos and other little goodies that come on the sti. So new WRX hatch or used 2011-13 sti picked up for the around same price? Whatya guys think? Also what key issues should I look out for in buying a used STI? I know to look for signs of previous mods like marred bolts an have it compression tested but what id like to know are any other possible problem areas I should pay mind to. Appreciate the responses guys.