New '13 SWP Base Wagon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New '13 SWP Base Wagon within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Picked up my '13 SWP Wagon on Tuesday from Manchester Subaru. Found this forum an NASIOC through my sales guy ...

New '13 SWP Base Wagon

Picked up my '13 SWP Wagon on Tuesday from Manchester Subaru. Found this forum an NASIOC through my sales guy at the dealership. This is my first Subaru and my first brand new car at that. Coming from the 1.8T Audi world and I must say I'm happy to have low end torque.

After spending a lot of time and money modding (also known as fixing) my old A4 I have no plans to mod the WRX currently. I'm sure that will change over time, but for now I want to get her broken in properly and enjoy the ride. So far I've gone 300 miles and every time I get out of it I have a huge smile. I think I should be good for a while.

Intro threads always need pictures:

Long exposure night shot:
    2013 SWP WRX Wagon | Base | SPT Exhaust | Grimmspeed front plate relocator

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome and congrats! You had an A4?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Welcome and congrats! You had an A4?
    Yeah, it was a B6 A4 1.8T (2003 MY). Traded it in at 125k miles. Had an APR Stage 2+ tune with 386cc injectors, a high flow cat to a 2.5'' TT downpipe into a Thermal R&D exhaust. Smoked ecode headlights, a Charactere front bumper and S4 rear. B5 S4 HP2 front brakes with stainless lines and Eibach springs with Bilsteins.

On top of that I had rebuilt the entire cooling system, replaced the whole front suspension, both front wheel bearings, and most recently had the ABS module repaired (for whatever reason the ABS controller also controls the Speedo).

It got to the point where it was fun to drive, but things started wearing out and breaking with increasing frequency and each time it was more expensive than the last. It also needed a new clutch when I traded it in which was another $1200 or so since I really just don't have the time to do it myself anymore. I'm much happier knowing I have a few years without having to worry about too many problems. Not to mention the WRX is stupid fast compared to the Audi WITH all the mods...and I still can't even wring it out to redline yet.
    Last edited by allhailpoptart; 08-16-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: poor grammatical decisions

nice! Welcome & Congrats.

B

Congrats, and welcome. I bought mine from Manchester as well. I'm guessing you worked with Gary Smith.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    Congrats, and welcome. I bought mine from Manchester as well. I'm guessing you worked with Gary Smith.
    Worked with Charlie Peters. Nice guy. Went in looking at a base Impreza wagon. Went back a week later after my girlfriend talked me into splurging on a WRX and he grabbed the keys to a '13 with 5 miles on it and said "let's go for a drive". Bought mine right after the test drive straight off the boat in RI.

Quote Originally Posted by allhailpoptart View Post
    Worked with Charlie Peters. Nice guy. Went in looking at a base Impreza wagon. Went back a week later after my girlfriend talked me into splurging on a WRX and he grabbed the keys to a '13 with 5 miles on it and said "let's go for a drive". Bought mine right after the test drive straight off the boat in RI.
    I had researched for over a year. And had driven a friends 2008, loved it. When they pulled up with the WRX I had my eye on (internet) for a test drive.....I knew I was in trouble ...lol. Test drive ... hooked. And when you get up in the morning and look forward to driving your car to work ..
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I'm curious how you find the handling and performance compared to the Audi. I had an Audi 80 back in the 90's when I lived in Germany - 1.8L no turbo, not too powerful but spirited and handled great - a very pure driving experience on windy German roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    I'm curious how you find the handling and performance compared to the Audi. I had an Audi 80 back in the 90's when I lived in Germany - 1.8L no turbo, not too powerful but spirited and handled great - a very pure driving experience on windy German roads.
    My first impressions after a week of driving are:
    - WRX handles corners much better. It's 600 pounds lighter than the A4 and feels completely planted around highway ramps. Even my girlfriend commented how much more stable it feels. With the upgraded suspension and extra load hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires the Audi didn't inspire a ton of confidence around corners and you could feel the body flex and roll.
    - The 1.8T engine had no low end torque. Pulling out into traffic was stressful if you were cutting it close until 2700rpm or so when the turbo finally kicked in. WRX pulls great from a stop. Probably helps that it has almost a liter more of displacement and a bigger turbo.
    - At 20 psi the stock A4 turbo sounded like it wanted to explode and really didn't get the car moving as we'll as you'd hope. The A4 just wasn't meant to be a performance car. Even during the break in period and only revving out to 4k the WRX is quicker.

I think my A4 was in the 230 crank HP range with all the work I had in it in the stock k03 turbo. It definitely was no race car.

The 80's and 90's Audi made were much better than the newer A series cars and in my opinion were a lot more fun to drive. The B6 and up bodies are just too big and bloated to be fun without spending a fortune.

The WRX is a lot less refined than the Audi and feels like a more pure driving experience. All the interior creature comforts in the Audi just made it a boat.

Congrats on the purchase!
    2013 Crystal Black Silica WRX 5-Door (Current)
    2006 Acura RSX-S (Retired)
    1994 Acura GS-R (Stolen)

Got caught up talking about the cars and never said thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. Thank you!

Registered User heinskits Velvet's Avatar
    That was my first color choice, ended up with the DGM. Looks NICE! congrats!

Nice man! Just picked up a 2013 base WRX myself. BTW how much did you pay OTD? I paid 28,200 with short throw and and some other small things.

That's my favorite color, ended up getting the DGM because I just couldn't wait another 2 months to get my baby home.....lol, anyway congrats and welcome to the forum...

Quote Originally Posted by scoobs1 View Post
    Nice man! Just picked up a 2013 base WRX myself. BTW how much did you pay OTD? I paid 28,200 with short throw and and some other small things.
    I paid 28,458 for the base with heated seats, the auto mirror with home link and the SPT exhaust. That includes the option prices and labor to install them since the dealer had to put everything on rather than having it ordered and installed at the port.

The dealer I went to wouldn't honor the True Car price that I was quoted online so I paid about a grand more than I feel like I should have but I only had to wait for 3 days to get the color and options I wanted. Seemed like that was worth the extra cash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast