New to Subaru/ Intro
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

This is a discussion on New to Subaru/ Intro within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all my name is Matt, I currently own a 2 year old Nissan Altima (6 speed). I am starting ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bridgeton NJ
    Posts
    2

    New to Subaru/ Intro

    Hello all my name is Matt, I currently own a 2 year old Nissan Altima (6 speed). I am starting to research Subaru's in order to buy one in the next year or two. I have never owned a Subaru nor have I ever had a 4 wheel drive car. I am currently torn between the WRX and the STI, the big thing that does it for me is the price difference. Is the horse power gain that big that it's worth the price as well as the DCCD? Any benefit to the 5 door vs the 4? Call me crazy for asking this one but this is also my first look into a turbocharged engine. I am reading that oil should be changed around 3,700 miles because of the increased heat as well as wear. Mobile 1 is what I use in all my vehicles and I read that is what a lot of people use in the Subaru's, but what I also read is that you should use the OEM oil filter, anyone have any problems with the K&N ones?

    Enough questions, and a little more about myself. I have been into car audio for 8 years and professional car detailing for 10. I have worked for two shops who did some of the worst work I have seen and decided to go out on my own. I am majoring in Network Management in college and will probably join the military after I finish. If anyone has any questions for me please feel free to ask.

    Some of my work






    Last edited by bigaudiofanatic; 08-13-2013 at 04:57 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,865
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

    WRX if:
    1) The vehicle is going to be a street duty vehicle that may see track time
    2) You don't plan on heavy modifications (stock turbo)

    STI if:
    1) The vehicle is going to be a track duty vehicle that will see street time
    2) You plan on heavy modifications (upgraded turbo)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  4. #3
    slow no mo' ! Shoopster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    768
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

    Ditch the Altima and get an STi (waddya expect in a WRX forum?? )
    Oil: synthetic, motul (or better if it exists), 5W30, every 3500 or so.
    The sedan is nicer (biased.)
    Some people here swear by OEM, but a wise owl told me that Subaru doesn't manufacture their own filters...
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

  5. #4
    Registered User cogito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    366
    5 door, 4 door, many on this site far wiser than I can answer that, But I choose 5 for the space, hauling, and I don't think you sacrifice WRX performance IMHO ... . With your audio talents, what do you see as the best canvas to work with ??? Meaning I think you'll want to tackle the sound system.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

  6. #5
    slow no mo' ! Shoopster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    768
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    Meaning I think you'll want to tackle the sound system.
    ^ for sure. everyone complains about the stock audio.
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

  7. #6
    ClubWRX.net Vendor rexxx0486's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North NJ
    Posts
    1,383
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hi Matt, welcome to the forum! EJ257 is dead on regarding the STi vs. WRX. As for the 4 door vs 5 door thing, that is completely personal preference as the performance is nearly identical. If you ever need anything sales or service related shoot me a PM, I'm also in NJ and run a WRX buying program through this forum and have an ask a dealer thread on here as well, both are linked in my sig.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

  8. #7
    Registered User CaQuin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    Hi Matt, welcome to the forum! EJ257 is dead on regarding the STi vs. WRX. As for the 4 door vs 5 door thing, that is completely personal preference as the performance is nearly identical. If you ever need anything sales or service related shoot me a PM, I'm also in NJ and run a WRX buying program through this forum and have an ask a dealer thread on here as well, both are linked in my sig.
    I definitely recommend Clayton! Buy from this guy. I know I will again.

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bridgeton NJ
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Welcome

    WRX if:
    1) The vehicle is going to be a street duty vehicle that may see track time
    2) You don't plan on heavy modifications (stock turbo)

    STI if:
    1) The vehicle is going to be a track duty vehicle that will see street time
    2) You plan on heavy modifications (upgraded turbo)

    Thank you for the break down. I have a lead foot and would be the first to admit it. Went from civic's to the altima (faster) now I am use to this speed I am wanting more. I will probably go to the track more often having a wrx than the altima. However it still will be rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    Welcome!

    Ditch the Altima and get an STi (waddya expect in a WRX forum?? )
    Oil: synthetic, motul (or better if it exists), 5W30, every 3500 or so.
    The sedan is nicer (biased.)
    Some people here swear by OEM, but a wise owl told me that Subaru doesn't manufacture their own filters...
    LOL the altima has been a huge upgrade as far as comfort, power, and features. I will probably get the hatch as I miss my first car a 99 hatchback civic. Not to mention more room. I was reading into the oil filters more subaru recommends oem because using aftermarket may change the oil pressure which in term may effect performance.

    Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    5 door, 4 door, many on this site far wiser than I can answer that, But I choose 5 for the space, hauling, and I don't think you sacrifice WRX performance IMHO ... . With your audio talents, what do you see as the best canvas to work with ??? Meaning I think you'll want to tackle the sound system.
    You are correct on the hatch having more room. As far as audio I am in no way a bass head however your hatchback's will have the ability to get more bass from a smaller sub as the rear acts as a tunnel for bass to reflect off of. A quieter car always helps to start with for a good system. As some people may worry about weight fiberglass is always a good option for sub boxes as well as amp racks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    ^ for sure. everyone complains about the stock audio.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    Hi Matt, welcome to the forum! EJ257 is dead on regarding the STi vs. WRX. As for the 4 door vs 5 door thing, that is completely personal preference as the performance is nearly identical. If you ever need anything sales or service related shoot me a PM, I'm also in NJ and run a WRX buying program through this forum and have an ask a dealer thread on here as well, both are linked in my sig.
    Great by chance do you have any in stock to test drive? As my local dealer doesn't have any in stock as of right now.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •