STi-based Murtaya roadster checking in - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on STi-based Murtaya roadster checking in within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Welcome. That's a pretty neat car there. Those doors look quite similar to the setup on the BMW Z1, but ...

Welcome. That's a pretty neat car there.

Those doors look quite similar to the setup on the BMW Z1, but I'm guessing they still open conventionally? Also, where did you get the silver pieces on the steering wheel? To me, the wheel is for driving and I don't like it all cluttered up with buttons and such. It'd be cool to replace mine with blank panels like that.
    (note: I'm aware I'd lose cruise control functions etc... in 10 years of driving I've never used it in any vehicle)
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sweet, thanks for posting it here.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by djk5077 View Post
    Welcome. That's a pretty neat car there.

Those doors look quite similar to the setup on the BMW Z1, but I'm guessing they still open conventionally? Also, where did you get the silver pieces on the steering wheel? To me, the wheel is for driving and I don't like it all cluttered up with buttons and such. It'd be cool to replace mine with blank panels like that.
    (note: I'm aware I'd lose cruise control functions etc... in 10 years of driving I've never used it in any vehicle)
    Yup, the open up, not down like the Z1 (the thick, tall sills help give it a lot of rigidity):

The wheel is actually the stock center up (with the existing cruise control fob) with a smaller, thicker replacement rim put on. Mine is a Prova D-shaped wheel:

There are others like the GTSpec wheel, too:

Quote Originally Posted by Random2006 View Post
    Really loving it. Would love to see some specs on it once you get the final tune.
    I'll keep people updated and post dyno pics when I get them...I'm not planning on going huge power; the nice thing about having a lighter car is that I shouldn't need as much power for the speed, so I can stick to smaller turbos and enjoy the quick spool. But then again, a bigger turbo would be fun....

Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveSAV View Post
    Curious, what was the final build cost for this car? It is amazing looking and looks so fun to drive!
    I wish I had a good number to tell ya, but the fact that this was one of the very first ones built (body #4, including prototypes) and the first sent to the U.S. means a lot of money went into trial and error and other issues that nobody should have to pay should they make one. Some of the issues:
    • Several engines were used: first was a custom built one from the U.K. that had STi Type-R heads but a 2.5L bottom block from the US....but while the SimTek ECU was impressive, nobody in the States is familiar with it. That, and the engine burnt it's loomed after we fixed the...

• ...Transmission, which had a slipping clutch. We replaced that one for more reasons than that. Even after that, the one we got didn't have official papers (or maybe we lost them over the several years? I can't remember), so we had to get yet another so I could get it registered (since the state patrol cares--more than anything--that the parts weren't stolen)

• Shipping to the U.S....this was the first one that we shipped, and while the shipping costs weren't too unexpected, the car's windows were smashed at port so the dock workers could get it off the ship (no handles must have confused them....even though we actually wrote instructions and posted them on the inside of the windows for them). Also, the customs agent ended up smashing the bonnet latches so they could open the hood. So all these things had to be replaced.

• After the first few years and the ship ride over here, the body was already looking dated, so we ended up rebuilding and refinishing it again

• While at first I didn't really care about what the interior looked like, the longer you spend on a project, the better you want all the parts to look...So, I custom designed the current interior and had it covered in stitched and perforated leather.

So it definitely cost a LOT more than I had planned (about 2-3 times as much), but luckily it was spread out over years. The original kit was about 13,000 GBP, and if you're scrappy, you could get a good WRX/STi for cheap and get it all together for not much more than that, most likely.

I Support ClubWRX
    Very cool build! Welcome to the club.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Welcome and that is pretty sweet
    2013 WRX Premium SWP HB Stage 2
    1976 Corvette Stingray black
    2008 WRX Basic CBS HB TRADED IN
    2002 WRX Basic WRB SOLD

Holy hell...remind me to never ship a car from over seas. I don't want all the glass smashed and latches destroyed. They aren't liable for that damage in any event???
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

So, how do you open the doors?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Holy hell...remind me to never ship a car from over seas. I don't want all the glass smashed and latches destroyed. They aren't liable for that damage in any event???
    When it came to customs, I just thanked them for letting my car into the country without cutting it up to look for drugs or something, took the car, and slowly backed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    So, how do you open the doors?
    Key fob pops the door open. There are back up ways to get it open should anything fail, but that's the main way. It might seem like it'd be prone to issues, but (knock on fiberglass) I've never had any, and one of the coolest things is to have the door pop open right into your hand as you get close to the car in front of people. An unseen bonus of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiryu View Post
    Key fob pops the door open. There are back up ways to get it open should anything fail, but that's the main way. It might seem like it'd be prone to issues, but (knock on fiberglass) I've never had any, and one of the coolest things is to have the door pop open right into your hand as you get close to the car in front of people. An unseen bonus of the car.
    That's pretty cool. You should start pretending to have conversations with the car after it does that.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12