Decision made! Now options to order?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Decision made! Now options to order? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; After a few weeks of thought, and months of searching, I have decided to order a 2014 SPW limited sedan. ...

Decision made! Now options to order?

After a few weeks of thought, and months of searching, I have decided to order a 2014 SPW limited sedan.

I really do not want cloth interior and I will be ordering tomorrow. I have found a dealer about 300 miles away that has blown away all local dealers on price! Now I must decide on options to purchase. Here is what I have so far:

1. STI SSS
    2. Homlink mirror (is it worth it, I have read about mirrors falling off on new WRXs??
    3. All weather floor mats (or should I just get weathertech?)

Questionable:

4. Extended arm rest
    5. Cargo tray

The only option I will get for sure is the STI Shifter. Other than that, I would like some advice on what is and is not worth the extra money. Please advise, as I will be placing my order tomorrow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
    Now I must decide on options to purchase. Here is what I have so far:

1. STI SSS
    2. Homlink mirror (is it worth it, I have read about mirrors falling off on new WRXs??
    3. All weather floor mats (or should I just get weathertech?)

Questionable:

4. Extended arm rest
    5. Cargo tray

The only option I will get for sure is the STI Shifter. Other than that, I would like some advice on what is and is not worth the extra money. Please advise, as I will be placing my order tomorrow.
    1. STI STS: I've never tried this shifter, but you could save some money by skipping this and going with a Kartboy. From what I've read, the factory STS only changes the throw about 10-15%, and retains the stock shifter height. The Kartboy will reduce the overall height a bit, and I think the throw is reduced by about 30-40%. Since the factory STS just has modified shift linkage, you could always add the Kartboy shift lever later on. Either way, it's your money so do what you think is best if you have already made up your mind.

2. Homelink Mirror: This came on my '13, and though I probably wouldn't have ordered it if I was given the option, I am definitely glad to have it. We bought a house with really old garage door openers, and the Homelink works great for me. I used to have to be about 10 feet from the garage with the handheld opener, now I can push the Homelink button from the bottom of my driveway and the door is open by the time I pull all the way in. I'm now wishing we had the Homelink mirror in my girlfriend's Impreza because the opener on her side of the garage has been a PITA. The auto-dim and compass features are obviously nice as well.

3. All Weather Mats: We have these in both of our cars as well, and they're nice. If I recall they're not very expensive either. I don't have any experience with WeatherTech though, so maybe someone out there has used both and can chime in.

4. Arm Rest Extension: We have this in my girl's Impreza, I'm pretty indifferent about it. I don't remember how much it costs, but I would personally skip it unless it's cheap.

5. Cargo Tray: This came with my car as well, however I ended up taking it out of my WRX and putting it in the Impreza. There's nothing really wrong with it, but when I would put down the back seats to put my hockey equipment in the car, my sticks/pads/bag would tend to stick to the tray which made everything more difficult. This probably won't be a problem for most people.

A couple things I have thought about adding in, that would have been nice to get when I purchased the car:

-Rear cargo nets: They are pretty small and I think they just fit into the sides of the trunk right behind the wheel wells, but I think they're cheap and they'd be good for keeping small items from rolling around.
    -SPT Turbo Heat Shield: Fairly inexpensive and should help turbo spool time and reduce heat soak for the intercooler.
    -Red Footwell Illumination: My car came with the blue footwell lights. I like having the little bit of extra ambient light down there, but everything else in the interior is red.

That's all I've got for now, congrats on your decision to buy a great car, and good luck staying patient while you wait for your order to come in.

Some Goalie,

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered! I will have a 2014 WRX limited Satin White! I went with the Homelink, all weather mats, and cargo nets. I will be ordering the kartboy shifter very soon. I feel I got a great deal. By far the best I have been quoted. Almost 2k less than 10 other dealers. Very happy and already testing my patience as it will be about 3 months before the car comes in.

Thanks again

Some Goalie,

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered! I will have a 2014 WRX limited Satin White! I went with the Homelink, all weather mats, and cargo nets. I will be ordering the kartboy shifter very soon. I feel I got a great deal. By far the best I have been quoted. Almost 2k less than 10 other dealers. Very happy and already testing my patience as it will be about 3 months before the car comes in.

Thanks again
    Congrats! That's gonna be a tough wait but it will be worth it.

If you plan to do additional mods then you should use that time to do a lot of research.

This thread has a ton of info:

The Big 2011/2012 Mod thread

Also if it snows where you live, you might want to look into winter tires since the car comes with summers.

If you plan to mod your car in the future id save the money on the sti ss. it came as an added option in my 13 wrx but the throws are still pretty long. I upgraded to the kartboy ss + bushings and it was a great improvement! It's also cheaper than the sti ss.

As for floor mats... I stuck with oem all weather mats just because I like the subaru logo and its original. I have weather tech liners on 3 of my other cars but they are too slippery!

If you're going to upgrade the shifter bushings along with the Kartboy install, you might want to look into ordering a combo deal like TiC offers:

Kartboy Lever Combo Plus - 2008-2009 Model

I ordered mine at different times so I ended up spending a little bit extra.

Also if you end up ordering from them, they also offer a Shift Pivot Bushing that you can put into the new Kartboy shift lever. This keeps you from having to pull the old rubber bushings out of the stock lever when you install the Kartboy.

TiC 5MT Lever Pivot Bushings - WIDE

Right now I only have the Kartboy shifter and the shift pivot bushing installed (along with a heavier shift knob). This alone has made a world of difference in the shift feel. Someday when I quit being lazy I'll install the front and rear bushings as well.

I hated the leather in my limited wrx! The cloth seats keep you planted a lot better.

TiC is def the way to go for your shifter needs, not the SPT. I hear nothing but bad things about it, plus the TiC kit includes the SS and bushings for less than the SPT SS alone.

The armrest extension is without a doubt ugly, but pretty needed IMO. I'm 6'1" and have an above average reach I'd say and still can't keep my elbow on the the armrest if in 1/3/5 which is pretty annoying honestly!

And when it comes to leather, I decided to go without it on my WRX after having it on my last 2 cars. Besides the fact they're ridiculously hot all the time, like the above poster stated its hard to stay planted in a leather seat. I didn't like it on my RSX and couldn't stand having leather in my 350z! That's the reason I stuck with just the Premium model with my WRX.

Should've gotten the mirror though I will say that. Having nothing to tap my radar detector into sucks. I'm going to have to pull the harness outta the head liner now and have it coming down the windshield...which is gonna look stupid, but better than a wire draping my whole dashboard I suppose.
    Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan

The seats are a personal preference. I have had cloth in my first 2 cars and leather in the two me and my fiance have now. I personally have not had any issue with sliding around in the leather seats in our 13 limited wrx. Leather also stays much cleaner. I won't ever own another car without leather. I can't speak for the homelink but we have the auto dimming one. (we got the dealer to throw it into the deal). There is only about 2600 miles on it but so far it has not loosened up at all. I would say the rear cargo tray would be another thing you will want to get. I ended up getting it after we had the car. I bought weathertech floor mats for my fiance's last car (06 Mazda 6s). The fronts were great, but the rears were one size fits all... You had to trim/cut the mats to fit in the back..... The Subaru ones are quite nice.

Thanks for all the info. Im sure Ill be happy with the leather. I know it has pros and cons, but I am very active and even haul around a few kids each day (middle school bball coach) and I would hate for my sweat or theirs soaking into the cloth.

As far as everything else, im really glad I was able to get the floormats and mirror all at invoice pricing!! I will buy a KB SS after my 1000 miles are up. I dont want any more temptations to hammer it then will already be there HA. My only problem is, I do have trouble sleeping at night. I cant stop thinking about the car. I swear I feel like a 5 yr old at Christmas. IT IS AWESOME!!!!!
    Last edited by Super Dave; 08-14-2013 at 01:06 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just be warned that the SS will be included in the car warranty only if it is installed at the time of delivery. Anything done afterwards even by an authorized dealer will not be in the vehicle warranty. Although the part itself will be warrantied. Although rare they technically can deem that said part caused a malfunction in the car & deny a claim.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Just be warned that the SS will be included in the car warranty only if it is installed at the time of delivery. Anything done afterwards even by an authorized dealer will not be in the vehicle warranty. Although the part itself will be warrantied. Although rare they technically can deem that said part caused a malfunction in the car & deny a claim.

If there was an issue, couldnt I then just swap out the SS with the original? Or, if I were to bring a Kartboy shifter when I pick it up, are saying if they install it that day it will covered under warranty, or is it only for the STI SSS?

I Support ClubWRX
    If there was an issue, couldnt I then just swap out the SS with the original? Or, if I were to bring a Kartboy shifter when I pick it up, are saying if they install it that day it will covered under warranty, or is it only for the STI SSS?
    Subaru will never cover a kartboy part under their warranty. I think what he is saying that to have the SPT stuff from subaru included in your warranty you need to have it installed before you drive off the lot with it. If not than it is really no different than putting any aftermarket part on your car.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Subaru will never cover a kartboy part under their warranty. I think what he is saying that to have the SPT stuff from subaru included in your warranty you need to have it installed before you drive off the lot with it. If not than it is really no different than putting any aftermarket part on your car.
    Yea thats what I was thinking, but it wasnt clear to me since I previously said I wasnt getting the SS from the factory. I was really confused

I got Weathertech mats for the front--important to have a deep well in areas with heavy snow (I drive to MN and WI frequently, and we can get a lot in NE as well). My Honda CRV had standard all-weather mats, but the water and salt would slosh out into the corners and eventually stained the carpet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast