Broken In
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Broken In within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 2000 miles!!! Now What?? 2013 WRX...

Broken In

2000 miles!!! Now What??

2013 WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Drive it!
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Now let me know how it feels lol.

I've been "driving" mine since about 400 miles. Light break-in is controversial. I don't run it wicked hard, but I'd say I drive it 75% light and 25% hard.
    I was told 1000 miles as a break-in point.

Drive it like you stole it!!!!

Stay under 4k rpms for the first 1000 miles and get an oil change right at 1000 then your good to go!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Stay under 4k rpms for the first 1000 miles and get an oil change right at 1000 then your good to go!
    Oil change after the first 1000? My dealer said 3000 for the first oil change.

HA! Location: ****
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

I Support ClubWRX
    No oil change needed at 1000, that's for added security and piece of mind. Manual says 1000 miles break in, oil change every 7500. I would not go by that. I'd say 3000 for first and every 5000 after that.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    No oil change needed at 1000, that's for added security and piece of mind. Manual says 1000 miles break in, oil change every 7500. I would not go by that. I'd say 3000 for first and every 5000 after that.
    Subaru has built 1000's of engines and they know more about them then anyone... I'd follow their recommendation over some random person's opinion!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I've read in multiple places the controversy pertaining to lightly breaking in the WRX. I lightly broke it in the first 400-500 miles. But after that, I've driven as I will the rest of its life. I'm not a person who beats a car or races it. But I got sick of driving like a grandma. But I am going to have the oil changed for its first 1000 miles.

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru has built 1000's of engines and they know more about them then anyone... I'd follow their recommendation over some random person's opinion!
    Couldn't agree more with this statement, which is why I quoted the manual for the '13. You can find the manual here. Just plug in your model year and navigate to the maintenance section. It will talk about the 1000 mile break in. It also does not say you need to change your oil at 1000 miles. It's added piece of mind and is something I won't be doing it once I receive my car (2014 late Sept-Oct). If you'd like to do it, go for it if it makes you feel better, but it's unnecessary.

Also, the manual also says you can change your oil every 7500 miles. That number is actually fairly high for the type of engine the WRX has. Many people on here would agree that 7500 is a bit long to run your oil. In my current car (Honda '06 Accord Coupe) 7500 miles is not out of the realm of possibility, but even in that it is not recommended. For a turbo-charged, flat 4, it's general rule of thumb to change between 3000 and 5000 miles.

I think you meant to add about 3 or 4 more zeros to "1000s of engines"
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Who's thumb are we talking about that set the rule?

Where are the data to support shorter intervals?

What type of motor do we have that requires short intervals?

The data I've seen seem to show the motor is easy on fluids. Subaru shortened the interval at one point but it's shameful they did; they didn't seem willing to face a design issue and recall cars so they not only shifted burden to owners, they made money due to their own error on top.

Under warranty do exactly as they say. After that I'd extend as long as possible to save resources. I used to do 5K to keep the math simple but 10K is also simple enough. I'd like that though I've not pulled samples to see for sure.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-10-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for all the replies. I must say it feels nice to open my WRX up, way more exciting than my 05 Cavalier.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd make a habit of checking oil weekly, on the same surface. As the motor breaks in (wear metals from break in were detectable over a year later in my oil samples) consumption may vary. You may see fuel use vary too etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    I've read in multiple places the controversy pertaining to lightly breaking in the WRX. I lightly broke it in the first 400-500 miles. But after that, I've driven as I will the rest of its life. I'm not a person who beats a car or races it. But I got sick of driving like a grandma. But I am going to have the oil changed for its first 1000 miles.
    there will always be controversy on this subject. i personally always have and always will break my cars in easy for the first 1000 miles and then get on it after that. everyone has their own opinions on the subject though. ive never had any major engine problems with any new car ive ever purchased that i did an easy break in on. even with hundreds of thousands of miles on them....
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast