WRX -- couldn't resist
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX -- couldn't resist within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First post here. Proud owner of a 2013 silver WRX hatch! Really didn't know much about Subarus, still don't, I've ...

WRX -- couldn't resist

First post here. Proud owner of a 2013 silver WRX hatch!

Really didn't know much about Subarus, still don't, I've been driving family sedans all my life. My dad has a 2009 Subaru Forrester with Turbo and I always liked its clean power delivery. My kid turned five and Camry was getting old so time to get something more fun. Actually got clearance, though reluctant, from the president (ie wife) for a FRS/BRZ, but felt it would be too selfish to run around with the kids legs cut off.

So it was going to be a Focus ST. my friend Twinch railed about FWD and insisted I test drive the WRX which I liked the look of (hatchback) but figured was out of the price range. so went to Subaru extremely bored and drove the base which was roomier inside though I like the Focus manual more. Sales manager said before you go, let's ride this one with a catback exhaust. You know that game Temple Run? That big ass thing that chases after you? Felt like that...

then I met Twinch at Ford and he's a far better driver despite almost killing us years ago in a S2000 and he pushed the FST hard and I could tell there were limits. WRX felt less restricted, more open, more potential / safe, maybe its the AWD. Also the FST though better shifter, the seats were too tight and the voice recog didn't work and it's embarassing to drive something that has a Microsoft badge.

So I closed on the wrx hatch, pricing ended up even better than the FST! But didn't know it was such a cult car. People coming up to me talking about Cobb tuning, etc, I'm 38 and drive like a grandpa I thought of it as a small Forrester, practical, fun, all of a sudden now reading up on downpipes and exhaust, am I the right age for this, damn, how old r u guys...

Great experience all around so far, just a small rattle in the trunk cover thing, and light buzzing noise on the hill holder assist (is that normal)? Usu new car smells make me nauseous, but it's weird this new WRX actually smells GOOD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!

I'm 31.. 30-40 seems to be the average age around here.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! Great intro btw!

I'll be 28 in a month.

If you're here I hate to say it but, the mod bug has already bitten you lol.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats & welcome to the forum.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Welcome! It won't be long until you ask yourself, " self, I wonder how stage 1 will feel" & you will be in love. Best of luck with the new car!

thanks for the welcomes! The other car I considered for a long time was the GTI which also has a strong modding community seems like, but the idea of getting a CEL every other month was a turnoff. Heard these Subaru's are bulletproof in comparison. Good for a guy that drive cars till they die

There is no age limit on having fun with a car. I myself am 30. But look at all the old timers who still love tinkering with their rat rods, hot rods, and muscle cars...it's a hobby. Mod away! Just make sure to stay safe, and read and research all you can before you make decisions!

Welcome!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Welcome! I think you'll find much of this board is at least in their mid to late 20's, with a good number of us north of 30 or even more! Where's old man Ray these days anyways?? Must've fallen and he couldn't get up!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Welcome! I'm turning 25 soon myself, but you're never too old to drive a sweet car!
    I look forward to the day that I'm 60 and driving a sporty ride.

Registered User Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
    Welcome! 45 here
    Stink-Eye Mob #667

2011 WRX Limited (Joan)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Thor)
    1965 Chevrolet Impala (Clara)

Intro Thread- PICS

hehe I think you have to be a little young at heart to drive these things otherwise you might get a heart attack

Loving the purity of design. Complaint I heard about prior was the "cheap" and "dated" interior design but it just looks pure and focused to me, no frills/distractions/"infotainment" to send you into a ditch. Same philosophy as a Miata interior I believe.

I don't know about you but I'll be dragged kicking and screaming before driving a car with a large touchscreen on the console. I could not believe how flaky the Focus ST's MyFordTouch system was on that test drive, we even had to reboot it. Reminds me of windows 98.

I'm, ahem, 52, but I look and feel 20 years younger accelerating from 0-60 in 4.5 seconds...

As a daily driver in the midwest with frequent trips up to the northern climes and Colorado in winter I would only consider a 4WD. The WRX is the most cost-effective, versatile performance car around. The styling is basic, no-nonsense. I previously owned an Outback, which I still think is a great family car, but I can do without the extra space and appreciate the extra HP of the WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by freshwipe View Post
    hehe I think you have to be a little young at heart to drive these things otherwise you might get a heart attack

Loving the purity of design. Complaint I heard about prior was the "cheap" and "dated" interior design but it just looks pure and focused to me, no frills/distractions/"infotainment" to send you into a ditch. Same philosophy as a Miata interior I believe.

I don't know about you but I'll be dragged kicking and screaming before driving a car with a large touchscreen on the console. I could not believe how flaky the Focus ST's MyFordTouch system was on that test drive, we even had to reboot it. Reminds me of windows 98.
    This. This is exactly how I feel about the Rex interior. Focus ST had WAY too much going on throughout the dash/HUD. I liked the ergonomic, clean layout of the 2007 Tiburon, so I feel right at home in the WRX. Everything you need, where you need it, and nothing you don't. I don't even use the steering wheel controls that I do have.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

54 here. Love this car. It's unpretentious, and it gives you feed back. I also like the utility for New England weather. And after driving a 74 Datsun 260z on the weekends, it's like luxury !!!!! Bottom line this car does not disappoint.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.