WRX or STI
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX or STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok guys, I have narrowed down my search. In my last thread I introduced myself and asked a few questions, ...

WRX or STI

Ok guys, I have narrowed down my search. In my last thread I introduced myself and asked a few questions, which were met with great answers! (This might be the nicest forum I have ever been a part of)

Now, I have a couple of other questions and I know its been asked a million times, is it worth the extra coin for the STI...blah blah, Im not going to ask that.

This past weekend I was able to sit in a 2012 STI, first time I have ever sat in a Subbie. I was nervous I would not fit and be uncomfortable. I felt great in the seats. Took if for a short drive, maybe 5 miles. The engine pulled very well and shifts were nice as well. LOVED the car, HATED the wing!

The other issue is I havent been able to drive a WRX. Do the have near the same feel, power, pull through the powerband, or is it a huge noticeable difference as to how the two cars drive.

I have 2 options of what I am going to do, and would like some input as to what the best option would be.

OPTION 1: Order a 2014 WRX limited with SSS, all weathers and maybe homelink, total cost around 30k

OPTION 2: Buy a used 2012 STI with 20k or less miles, without the leather, but a bit more fun to drive with a total cost of about 34k

This will be my DD, and I drive a whopping 5 miles to a from work everyday.

I dont race, I dont hot rod around, but I loved the way the STI felt and drove, and if the WRX is very similar than I think it is a no brainer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome! I have owned both. I have been obsessed with this car since my first test drive in 2000. I have always wanted an STI. I purchased a 2011 limited WRX with all the trimmings. Don't get me wrong, it is a great car. I was in love with it for a whole year, but part of me still yearned for an STI. An opportunity presented itself for a used STI with only 6500 miles and I jumped on it. I greatly prefer my hatchback to the sedan now. Plus, the STI hatch does not have the ridiculous wing that only attracts attention and serves no purpose. . Ultimately, it is your decision, but I say go for the STI and keep her forever.
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

You can see my car by searching Black Dream.
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

I say option 1 most definitely

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Search the forums; this topic has been beat to death and back
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I think the STI is a bit more connected to the road, no to say the WRX is not well in feedback. There is always things that can be improved, like replacing shocks with some better a bit down the road. he main diff is the center diff, oddly enough, pun intended. I don't know that this is worth it for DD, but that is something you might want to consider. Aside from (maybe) higher insurance and slightly better performance. All bets are off once the modding comes into play. My modded WRX should beat any factory STI... except for MPG's
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

zax
    I foresee another flame war. REMEMBER TO KEEP THIS CIVIL PEOPLE OR THIS THREAD WILL BE LOCKED!

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Search the forums; this topic has been beat to death and back
    I have a bit as well as google, as well as youtube. Most answers I have found give me performance details. As stated, I have driven an STI sedan, but not the WRX and have nothing to compare it to. Also, there arent any WRX sedans in my area, within 100 miles that I can find for me to test drive and compare myself. If I could I would, and not bothered you with another question.

BUT, since I cannot find seat time in a WRX, can you guys give me noticeable differences while driving. Does the WRX feel similar or are the diffences very noticeable when comparing shifting, 0-60 and overall comfort of the car.

Thanks Devon and Twister

Zax: Not sure why this would be a flame war. Im serious in looking for the answers due to no seat time. I am an adult, and about to spend $30,000. Sorry If I offended you trying make sure I find the answers I want before deciding on a purchase.

I Support ClubWRX
    I foresee another flame war. REMEMBER TO KEEP THIS CIVIL PEOPLE OR THIS THREAD WILL BE LOCKED!
    IBTL

As soon as I saw the title I imagined the worst lol.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    IBTL

As soon as I saw the title I imagined the worst lol.
    Yeah lol, I knew I should have changed the title.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have never driven a new generation WRX or STI so I can't give very much advise. However, I will say that if you can afford an STI you might as well just get one.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
    Zax: Not sure why this would be a flame war. Im serious in looking for the answers due to no seat time. I am an adult, and about to spend $30,000. Sorry If I offended you trying make sure I find the answers I want before deciding on a purchase.
    I fail to see how this would be directly traceable to you. There have been numerous "WRX vs. STI" threads, most of which have ended in a thread lock. Since you were not involved in any of the prior threads, I can assure you it's the topic, and not you, that's the culprit.

Essentially it boils down to this:
    1. The WRX STi is the higher performance Variant of the WRX
    2. The WRX STi costs $8-10k more than the WRX
    3. The WRX offers 90% the performance of the WRX STi from the factory
    4. Is the extra 10% performance worth the extra $8-10k?

From what we've all gathered, if you plan on modifying or racing the car, the WRX STi is the better bet. The driveline is the major difference. However, if you're planning on racing a car, there are many other cars out there that are better than the WRX or WRX STi at similar price point. If you want a good daily driver for the street, the WRX is likely the better option since you will rarely see or require that extra 10% of performance. Furthermore, if you are the kind of person that must have the "best" or the "top of the line," you'll want to buy the WRX STi.

The reason for the flame war is inevitably this: you'll have someone that owns a WRX that MUST prove that he or she has the best and fastest car. Typically, this is countered by someone who spent the extra $10k on the WRX STi and feels the need to defend that purchase. This goes round and round, escalating and ending in a thread lock. Trust me, I've been around for a lot of these.

Facebook me here

I fail to see how this would be directly traceable to you. There have been numerous "WRX vs. STI" threads, most of which have ended in a thread lock. Since you were not involved in any of the prior threads, I can assure you it's the topic, and not you, that's the culprit.

Essentially it boils down to this:
    1. The WRX STi is the higher performance Variant of the WRX
    2. The WRX STi costs $8-10k more than the WRX
    3. The WRX offers 90% the performance of the WRX STi from the factory
    4. Is the extra 10% performance worth the extra $8-10k?

From what we've all gathered, if you plan on modifying or racing the car, the WRX STi is the better bet. The driveline is the major difference. However, if you're planning on racing a car, there are many other cars out there that are better than the WRX or WRX STi at similar price point. If you want a good daily driver for the street, the WRX is likely the better option since you will rarely see or require that extra 10% of performance. Furthermore, if you are the kind of person that must have the "best" or the "top of the line," you'll want to buy the WRX STi.

The reason for the flame war is inevitably this: you'll have someone that owns a WRX that MUST prove that he or she has the best and fastest car. Typically, this is countered by someone who spent the extra $10k on the WRX STi and feels the need to defend that purchase. This goes round and round, escalating and ending in a thread lock. Trust me, I've been around for a lot of these.

3. The WRX offers 90% the performance of the WRX STi from the factory Bingo! That is what I was looking for. That is very close then. You probably just made my decision.

FYI, I wasnt upset or thought you were attacking me, just didnt understand the reference to the flame war. I can see where that could be an annoying, pointless argument.

Thanks for the answers.

I've previously had two STIs and just bought a 2012 WRX. It's not quite the same performance, but its refined compared to the 05 and 07 STI. If you can afford an STI comfortably, then I'd say go for it. I only chose a WRX because it was plenty for what I wanted to spend right now. I didn't want to spend an extra $50-$75 a month on an STI, though I could have.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I had 2 different 2011 wrx's. sedan and hatch. Hatch was limited and I hated having leather In a performance car. Then got a 2013 sti. I am Much happier with the sti. If you don't mind the extra up front cost go for the sti. Wrx is also very nice car though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.