FNG to ClubWRX.net & to Subaru
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on FNG to ClubWRX.net & to Subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Greetings all, This is my first post. This past weekend I visited my local Subi dealership. I was interested in ...

FNG to ClubWRX.net & to Subaru

Greetings all,

This is my first post.

This past weekend I visited my local Subi dealership. I was interested in a '13 WRX, but there are none to be found. Two dealerships informed me that WRXs are difficult to find and/or they don't stay in inventory very long. First question: Is this a result of supply and demand?

My dealer said the last batch of '13 Subies should arrive this month. They may get three...

I then thought I should just order what I want. So, I told my dealer I will order a '14 for Nov or Dec delivery.

My dealer told me that '14 orders started this past weekend. My Salesman told me it will take about 12 weeks from order to delivery.

My preliminary order will look like this:

'14 Subi WRX; Ice Silver Metallic, 5 Door, Sat Radio, Body Side Moldings, Cargo Net, All Weather Mats, SPT Perf Exh, SPT Turbo Boost Gauge, SPT Turbo Heat Shield, STI Front Lip Spoiler, STI Short Throw Shifter, STI Shifter Bushing

First time Subi owner. I'm buying this car b/c I want a performance vehicle w/AWD for inclement weather.

2nd question:: I'll start forum searching... For a quick answer: Is the SPT Performance Exhaust a worthwhile expense/option? I don't want too loud, but I want a nice sound that also adds some performance benefit.
    3rd question:: Is the STI Short Throw Shifter a nice/worthwhile option over what is standard. I don't plan to race, but I want a nice smooth tranny shift. Any other options I don't need, above?

Tks a lot/Cheers,

B

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BenDiem View Post
    Greetings all,

This is my first post.

This past weekend I visited my local Subi dealership. I was interested in a '13 WRX, but there are none to be found. Two dealerships informed me that WRXs are difficult to find and/or they don't stay in inventory very long. First question: Is this a result of supply and demand?

My dealer said the last batch of '13 Subies should arrive this month. They may get three...

I then thought I should just order what I want. So, I told my dealer I will order a '14 for Nov or Dec delivery.

My dealer told me that '14 orders started this past weekend. My Salesman told me it will take about 12 weeks from order to delivery.

My preliminary order will look like this:

'14 Subi WRX; Ice Silver Metallic, 5 Door, Sat Radio, Body Side Moldings, Cargo Net, All Weather Mats, SPT Perf Exh, SPT Turbo Boost Gauge, SPT Turbo Heat Shield, STI Front Lip Spoiler, STI Short Throw Shifter, STI Shifter Bushing

First time Subi owner. I'm buying this car b/c I want a performance vehicle w/AWD for inclement weather.

2nd question:: I'll start forum searching... For a quick answer: Is the SPT Performance Exhaust a worthwhile expense/option? I don't want too loud, but I want a nice sound that also adds some performance benefit.
    3rd question:: Is the STI Short Throw Shifter a nice/worthwhile option over what is standard. I don't plan to race, but I want a nice smooth tranny shift. Any other options I don't need, above?

Tks a lot/Cheers,

B
    Welcome! If you don't mind having a few aftermarket parts in there I would just get the kartboy short throw shifter and bushing kit. Good quality and much cheaper. Also, I would personally get an aftermarket exhaust over the SPT. Some people like them, but for the money you can get better quality for cheaper. The SPT boost guage is garbage. Don't get that. The SPT turbo heat shield is pointless (car comes stock with a heat shield - only reason to replace would be if you got an aftermarket down pipe and didn't want to cut the stock one).

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

Yeah for the most part the dealer added accesories, which everything you mentioned are, are not worth the effort.

The only one I would consider is the SPT exhaust.

For the shifter, and several other parts, I'd go Cobb.

Subaru WRX Wagon 2013

I have their shifter, its a quality unit.

Kartboy does make good stuff however, I just prefer the cobb shifter and its adjust-ability.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Also, just an FYI, a catback exhaust is going to do little to nothing in terms of adding power.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to ClubWRX
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

STI short shifter isnt bad, mine came with one. still feels like a truck shifter though. i have a Kartboy SS w/ bushings now and that makes it mostly acceptable. basically about as good as any others stock performance cars shifter
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

If you can, I would try to drive a hatchback with the SPT exhaust. Before I bought my '13, I test drove one equipped with the SPT exhaust with my 10 year old in the back seat. After the test drive, he said it was pretty loud back there. Ended up getting mine without since there is no performance gain.

I do have the factory short shift kit (had one on my 2003 too) and I would recommend it. It was a bit notchy when new, but has loosened up a bit (at 12K miles now).
    Ray
    2013 WRX Limited ISM
    2003 WRX Wagon (sold)
    2013 BMW X5 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by WRXRayF View Post
    If you can, I would try to drive a hatchback with the SPT exhaust. Before I bought my '13, I test drove one equipped with the SPT exhaust with my 10 year old in the back seat. After the test drive, he said it was pretty loud back there. Ended up getting mine without since there is no performance gain.

I do have the factory short shift kit (had one on my 2003 too) and I would recommend it. It was a bit notchy when new, but has loosened up a bit (at 12K miles now).
    Same here. Bone stock SPT exhaust sounded fine, although my kids said it was loud. Adding a downpipe made it 10 times louder, and once I did the turbo swap with headers and uppipe it became just plain obnoxious. My daughter covers her ears when she rides with me

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Gents,

I appreciate all of your responses. I have since gathered that I should not bother with the SPT Boost Gauge, nor the SPT Turbo Heat Shield. Duly noted, and thanks very much for that advise, 11blackSTI & 06wrx4me!

I'll definitely review the SPT Performance exhaust further. If the exhaust tip diameter is the same as the stock one, than that will also be eliminated. Why buy a catback if it does not provide some visual difference and some performance gain, eh? However, if the performance exhaust has a noticeable growl, I'll consider it again, lol...

I'm still considering the short shift kit b/c it's not something I want to tackle. I don't have the mechanical skills and I figure, it will be warrantied for three years if the dealer installs this.

So, as of today: My options are XM Sat Radio, Body Side Moldings, Cargo Net, All Weather Mats, STI Front Lip Spoiler (to quasi protect the paint from parking curbs), and the STI Short-Shift Kit w/Bushing.

The SPT Performance Exhaust is still in the queue... Similar to the Short Shift Kit above, if the dealer installs it, then I have three years of warranty, in the event I have exhaust leak issues, etc... Moreover, until I actually hear one and find it sounds like stock, and if the tips are just like stock, then I'll pass.

Tks again Gents/very informative/very helpful/much appreciated!

Cheers,

B

One more quick note about the shifter - the Kartboy shifter install is something my mom could do, seriously. Just pick up a pair of snap ring pliers. It's also much cheaper, because it is just the shift lever and doesn't include linkage.

That said, I know I don't speak for everyone but I prefer the SPT shifter over the kartboy, because the Kartboy increased the shifting effort quite noticeably. Also, on my WRX once I installed the kartboy I started having issues with grinding trying to shift into 5th, and I've heard of a couple other people having the same issue. I have no idea if/how this could be related to the shifter, so just take it for what it's worth. That's why for the STI I just ordered it with the SPT shifter from the factory, and it's definitely easier and smoother to shift than my WRX was.

^^^ Copy direct. I noticed you live in NoVa. I used to live off of Edsall Rd. I don't know how you do it. High cost, lots of traffic, very active police patrols. God Bless ya big Fella.
    I'll always love Va, but I'm glad I no longer live there. My parents & my brother still live in NoVa.
    BTW, GMU Grad. Go Patriots!

Tks/Cheers! B

I Support ClubWRX
    Gents,

I appreciate all of your responses. I have since gathered that I should not bother with the SPT Boost Gauge, nor the SPT Turbo Heat Shield. Duly noted, and thanks very much for that advise, 11blackSTI & 06wrx4me!

I'll definitely review the SPT Performance exhaust further. If the exhaust tip diameter is the same as the stock one, than that will also be eliminated. Why buy a catback if it does not provide some visual difference and some performance gain, eh? However, if the performance exhaust has a noticeable growl, I'll consider it again, lol...

I'm still considering the short shift kit b/c it's not something I want to tackle. I don't have the mechanical skills and I figure, it will be warrantied for three years if the dealer installs this.

So, as of today: My options are XM Sat Radio, Body Side Moldings, Cargo Net, All Weather Mats, STI Front Lip Spoiler (to quasi protect the paint from parking curbs), and the STI Short-Shift Kit w/Bushing.

The SPT Performance Exhaust is still in the queue... Similar to the Short Shift Kit above, if the dealer installs it, then I have three years of warranty, in the event I have exhaust leak issues, etc... Moreover, until I actually hear one and find it sounds like stock, and if the tips are just like stock, then I'll pass.

Tks again Gents/very informative/very helpful/much appreciated!

Cheers,

B
    Just wanted to mention...FWIW. I did state that the kartboy STS would be a better bang for the buck, but I do have the factory STS on my STI. I wouldn't have "added" it on, but it was already on the car (and they took the price of it off the sticker for me). I would have done an aftermarket had it been the stock shifter set up though. BUTTTT...I am happy with the stock STS and do not plan on replacing it. Especially since I have the full kartboy shifter bushing ensemble in there.

^^^ Copy direct. I noticed you live in NoVa. I used to live off of Edsall Rd. I don't know how you do it. High cost, lots of traffic, very active police patrols. God Bless ya big Fella.
    I'll always love Va, but I'm glad I no longer live there. My parents & my brother still live in NoVa.
    BTW, GMU Grad. Go Patriots!

Tks/Cheers! B
    My kids go to Springfield Academy at the Edsall/Backlick intersection.

I'm a transplant here after getting out of the Army. It wasn't my preferred location due to traffic and just general overpopulation, but for my profession this is the land of opportunity. I would absolutely love NoVa if you took all the people out of it. And yes, it's so incredibly expensive to live here. I get compensated $20k higher living here than I would elsewhere, but I swear I don't see a dime of it.

And as for the cops...I once got pulled over twice in 20 feet. First for speeding 6-8mph over, and then for my exhaust as I was pulling away. I also get tint tickets on a semi-annual basis.

I love my STI short shifter in my 11 wrx.

I have the Kartboy short shifter. It took me about 10 mins to complete. As mentioned it is very simple and easy. There are a few youtube how too's out there. Zero grinding etc in any gear for me. 2013 WRX sedan with about 2500 miles on it. Has been in there since 600-700 miles on the odo.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.