15 Year Old Noob - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on 15 Year Old Noob within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Do I win the crappy first car award? I wanted a car really badly and when I asked my Dad ...

Do I win the crappy first car award? I wanted a car really badly and when I asked my Dad he said, "Sure, you can have a car. You just have to buy it." So I got a job at Burger King and rode my bike there after school, got paid crap and saved it u to buy this sexy beast for $500 (this isnt an exact pic of my car, but mine looked identical). It was POS and I could reverse engineer the cooling system with how often I had to fix it, but I loved it because it taught me about cars and made me realize the value of a dollar at a young age. My parents were impressed with my responsibility and since I worked my ass off for a full ride through college with scholarships and grants, they bought me my 2007 Tiburon as a graduation present. Loved that car, but she was starting to have issues so traded her in for my totally paid for on my own '13 Rex.

Looking back, even though I wanted a Foxbody Stang more than anything when I was 15, I'm so glad I had this beater; the experience was well worth it, and it taught me a lot. And that car had the most comfortable seats EVAR.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey guys I really appreciate what you had to say about this.. I was thinking for some time now, and I think I've decided to go for one of the "beater" cars. Something thats old but still was sporty back in the day. Maybe an old Nissan, Honda, or Toyota... hell maybe even a Hyundai..

Any recommendations? ;D

Somewhat 1998+ish cars w/ low insurance and still a fun car without it being too dangerous?
    15 year old

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    ClubWRX - smashing the dreams of young hopeful owners the world over.

OP - think about it like this: You came to a WRX enthusiast site, and no one has recommend a WRX for you. It is for a good reason. A WRX is a terrible car to first start learning the limits. It will stick like glue and give you little warning (absolutely none in some circumstances) then it will find a tree.

I'd personally recommend a RWD 2WD cheap pickup with a manual transmission (Toyota or Nissan). They slide around easily and in a controlled environment you can learn real dynamics at relatively low speed. Learn to drive it in gravel, on snow, etc.. Learn to heal-toe shift, match RPMs, etc.. A truck doesn't say "I wanted a WRX but only got a civic". It says you went straight for something practical. RWD is a much better platform to learn on IMO. 4x4 is great to have, but not near as fun (too much weight, too high). Get a camper top with tint and you'll have your own private make-out fort too.

Here is another thought - owning cars sucks. Driving is awesome. Invest in yourself and your driving, not in cars. Go to a track event and pay to participate. Autocross your 2wd PU and whoop some ass (OK, that would be hard). Go rent some time at a nice gocart place. Etc.

Do not ever ride in a young friend's fast car when they are ****ing around. Trust me, it is not your job to lie to them and tell them they don't suck at driving, because they will. That is a great way to get your life ruined.
    Great advice right there. That's deep.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetKing View Post
    Hey guys I really appreciate what you had to say about this.. I was thinking for some time now, and I think I've decided to go for one of the "beater" cars. Something thats old but still was sporty back in the day. Maybe an old Nissan, Honda, or Toyota... hell maybe even a Hyundai..

Any recommendations? ;D

Somewhat 1998+ish cars w/ low insurance and still a fun car without it being too dangerous?
    Acura Integra

/thread

EDIT: To be more specific. You can get a nice 98-01 Integra (face lift years) for a decent price. Insurance is pretty low and they are crazy fun cars.

Smooth transmission, great power for a 1.8L car and some of the best handling in a FWD you can get. They look great and are hatchback so they're pretty versatile (and the hatchback makes for an awesome audio setup). They aftermarket scene is huge for them and they are easy to work on. They are extremely reliable too. If you can get a GSR even better because VTEC! However, the GSR's are a bit more expensive and the insurance will go up.

Before I had my WRX I had two Integra's and I would easily own another as a fun daily beater car. I honestly couldn't speak more highly of them, in my eyes they are a perfect starter car.

OH! There is also and awesome forum much like this one for them. http://www.team-integra.net/
    Last edited by michaelwfox; 08-06-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

The RD (96-01) Tiburon is a good first car if you do consider Hyundai. Coming from the KDM community, the RD was a cool car because it had the 140 hp the newer Tiburons had, but on a lighter body. The styling is distinctive and there is aftermarket value, as well.

Otherwise, would you consider driving something older? I LOVE the older Japanese imports, and before I got my WRX, I almost bought a '91 Supra Turbo and an 89 300zx Turbo as project/fun cars. You can get these cheap, parts are available, reliability is sky high if you find one in good shape, cheap gas and best of all, if you decide to keep it down the road and excellent project platform.

Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

And we're assuming you can already drive a stick ???? If not, make sure you get one to cut your teeth on. Better on a beater. Follow the great advice here, and you'll be good to go. Good luck, and enjoy the ride (Life !!!)
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I was actually thinking about a Supra 1993 either turbo or non-turbo..

;P how is the insurance on a 1993 Supra in a few years?
    15 year old

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetKing View Post
    I was actually thinking about a Supra 1993 either turbo or non-turbo..

;P how is the insurance on a 1993 Supra in a few years?
    Don't get a Supra. Thanks to Fast and the Furious, prices on those have jumped to absurd levels. If you really have to get a sports car from that era, find a well-maintained Gen II MR2.

Older Miatas are fun to drive, very economical, and slow enough to keep you out of most trouble. The classic Gen 1 Miatas can be had for just a couple grand these days.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Wow Rambo, the MR2s are so cheap man haha I've never heard of them before until now.. And your right about Supras being overpriced because of a movie. I saw a 1992 with 160k miles on it single turbo for 50 grand. Thats absurd.
    15 year old

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Don't get a Supra. Thanks to Fast and the Furious, prices on those have jumped to absurd levels. If you really have to get a sports car from that era, find a well-maintained Gen II MR2.

Older Miatas are fun to drive, very economical, and slow enough to keep you out of most trouble. The classic Gen 1 Miatas can be had for just a couple grand these days.
    Not to start an argument, but I disagree. I saw several good condition MKIII Supras for under $5k. Even one with an imported JDM engine with only 44k miles for $4500. You just need to be patient. It's the MKIV Supra that blew up in price since that was the one featured in the movie. I like the MKIII better anyways

I Support ClubWRX
    The MR2 is a better car than a Supra. The Supra is simply designed wrong. The motor is in the wrong place. This error was never made on the MR2. However the MR2 is not easier to live with than a Supra, and parts are getting quite scarce.

Neither car is a good choice for an only car, a first car, or a young person with a limited budget.

The Miata has the same basic flaws as the Supra but it's still a much better car. They'd make a good choice if there is zero winter.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nobody is going back me up with the Integra suggestion?

Am I just being biased? Am I missing something?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I'd rather go with the RWD Supra MK3 like Zitro said. I found some MK3s that are in the range of 1-7k nearby with okay miles.. The Integra is worth considering but I'd rather buy a car that I think looks pretty good in my eyes and could see myself driving it without going over the speed limit. Nothing too fast just fast enough. Also I think the Integra looks fugly lol. Good reviews for the car tho..
    15 year old

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Nobody is going back me up with the Integra suggestion?

Am I just being biased? Am I missing something?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    I've got your back -

"From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Lol Toyotas last 'forever'
    15 year old

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.