15 Year Old Noob - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on 15 Year Old Noob within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; civic. hit vtakkkkkkkkk. faster than these slowbarus....

civic. hit vtakkkkkkkkk. faster than these slowbarus.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetKing View Post
    Damn so what car should I drive? Besides an ugly Civic.
    Acura Integra

/thread
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    You'll understand money when you get in college. $1500 for your calculus class. $175-300 for a parking pass. $60 for an online code so you can turn in your homework. $400-$800 per month for rent. $200 per month for groceries. I wish I drove a beater...
    +3000

I Support ClubWRX
    Lol, here were was my plan for "first cars" when I was 15, in no particular order:

*E30 BMW M3
    *E46 BMW 5-series
    *Mini Cooper S (the "hottest" version at the time)
    *Import a Nissan Skyline R34 (because I saw it on Need for Speed: Underground).

The reality? I borrowed a Plymouth Voyager minivan through high school and college. After college, I carpooled to work with my wife's beat to death Mazda 626 and walked home.

Moral of the story? You don't need an STI as a first car. As others have said, an inexpensive Civic or the like will serve you well through the rest of school and you can celebrate your fancy new job after school with a WRX. I bought my WRX in cash with my signing bonus, and the feeling of accomplishment on that day was great.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    If I had it to do all over again, instead of the free-to-me 1983 ****box, I mean S10, that required I dump every penny I made into it to keep it going, then the necessitated downward spiral of cars that followed ultimately getting me to where I am today, I would have lobbied the parents to cosign for a cheap brand new econo-car.

I'm talkin Ford Fista, Mazda 2, Chevy Sonic. Used civics, accords, and corollas are decent transportation but not worth the $$$ new.

and this is why:

1. You should be focused on finishing high school and getting into college or trade school.
    2. You will have reliable transportation in said car for college and beyond...hundreds of thousands of miles ~ 10 years. You don't want to worry about a car during college, chasing women and experiencing life is a much more fun way to spend the time.
    3. Insurance will be cheap. At 17-18 your insurance will be 1/2 your finance payment on a WRX.
    4. When you do buy something fast and undoubtedly tare it apart to work on it, said econobox is a great "parts runner". As you will find when you get into working on cars, you will get 3/4 the way done, usually Sunday at 9:45pm, and need 1 last thing. But since the WRX is your only vehicle, not only do you need it to get to work/school in the AM, you need it to go get that 1 thing.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Lol, here were was my plan for "first cars" when I was 15, in no particular order:
    Damn you dreamed big. I wanted a lifted 93 Chevy pickup. I bought a 93 chevy pickup at 18 (second truck), lifted, motor swap, stereo, paint, $30k and 6 years later, sold it for $7500. Learned an absolute ton, drove my dad nuts, met my wife in it, learned about MPG's, and engine tuning.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Some seriously wise words in this thread. Hell, I remember when I wanted my first car to be an STi as well. I'm glad I waited till later to get my first Subie instead of getting one at 16. Hard lessons learned in your first car that will stick with you for your entire motoring days.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Subaru-Mopar-Luv View Post
    Sure hope you're doing some saving. Nothing wrong with having a nice car as your first car IMO, but t's what you do with it that reflects your maturity level. So, make sure you're not going to be an idiot with it.
    I like this kid more and more

^Stick with him, OP, he's goin' places
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Quote Originally Posted by StreetKing View Post
    Beaters as in a Honda Civic? Lol, I learned how to drive when I was 14. I don't think I'll be in any accidents unless some idiot rams me from the side.
    so says every kid before they get behind the wheel -_-

we all wanted amazing cars when we were kids in school. but the reality for most is even if you can convince your parents to buy one for you. theres a huge chance you'll wreck it due mostly to inexperience and to trying to "show off" every chance you get.
    i know. i was there.
    when i turned 16 one of the coolest cars id never heard of hit showroom floors for a car company id heard just as little about. it was this crazy thing with awd called a 2002 Subaru WRX. i had to have one. or a fox body mustang. either would have sufficed in my teenage mind.
    finally after months and months of begging i convinced my old man to buy me a car! but it wasnt the rip roaring mustang or kickass suby of my dreams. it was my great grandmothers 1987 mercury grand marquis. it was slow and ugly and a boat. i hated it at the time. but looking back i cant thank my dad enough for buying me a $700 tank of a car instead of a fast car i was to ill equipped and inexperienced to handle. if i drove a mustang or any "fast" car the way i drove that marquis at 16 years old i would be dead or in jail right now.

buy a beater man. save money and go to college. dont spend all your money on a car payment. spend it at college, buying food and beer, well mostly beer. spend it chasing girls, parting and having fun at college. its worth it in the long run. trust me
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 08-05-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

theres no problem in wanting something or trying to get your dream car. but you still need to think of reality at the time as well. get what you can get to get you through school and be able to set money aside, but keep your dreams in the back of your mind too and when the time is right youll have your subie or whatever you want

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    I do have one more thing to add to this topic. Not sure about insurance in OP's area, but where I am, my WRX wasn't that expensive of an investment. A good reliable used car (i.e. stock Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla) typically costs $4-6000, and insurance is $800/year. My WRX was $8500, and insurance is $1100/year. It's reliable as well as practical, yet it still fulfills my need to own a cool car that I can learn everything about and modify to make unique. I could have bought a Civic, but instead I made the choice when I was very young to start saving my pennies and get a nice(r) car for myself. WRXs were not cheap when many of the people advising against Subarus were teenagers, but now, a nice bugeye is surprisingly inexpensive.

However, like I said before, a car like a WRX can cause inexperienced drivers and inexperienced decision makers lots of trouble, and you need to know you're able to handle one. As much as you want one, do you really want to end up in a ditch one night after trying to impress your friends by going a little too fast, wrecking your precious WRX? Pay attention to the advise given, it's definitely something to consider.
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I have to agree with others here, You don't need a fast car at your age. I too wanted an STi when I was 16 and am glad I never got one. I shared cars with my family till I was 20. My very own first car was Audi A4, that thing is a tank. I got T-boned at 50 mph and walked away without a scratch. Get something that's good on gas, reliable, and is safe.
    -NAS

2011 SUBARU WRX (LR) - DAILY
    MODS: 30% Tint - Smoked Tails - Bi-Xenon Projector retrofit w/ DDM Tuning 35w5000k - Fender vent led turn signals - Kartboy short throw shifter w/ bushings - Flossy Shift knob

Go buy a beater till you become experienced enough behind the wheel to handel the wrx maturely! Believe me, when I was younger I always wanted to have a nice car, but ended up spending every dime I had just to have it... It's not worth it at all to have a nice car, but you can barley afford to put gas In the damn thing! I had a 90 nissan sentra that ran like a top and it was really fullfling owning/driving it just cause it was mine and it was super cheap to drive... It got 45mpg and the insurance was only $50 per month plus I only paid $600 for it and drove it for 2 years and when I sold it i got $1200 for it!!! I made a $600 profit off of it... They're great cars, plus they're pretty peppy, I got it up to 120mph too!...lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ClubWRX - smashing the dreams of young hopeful owners the world over.

OP - think about it like this: You came to a WRX enthusiast site, and no one has recommend a WRX for you. It is for a good reason. A WRX is a terrible car to first start learning the limits. It will stick like glue and give you little warning (absolutely none in some circumstances) then it will find a tree.

I'd personally recommend a RWD 2WD cheap pickup with a manual transmission (Toyota or Nissan). They slide around easily and in a controlled environment you can learn real dynamics at relatively low speed. Learn to drive it in gravel, on snow, etc.. Learn to heal-toe shift, match RPMs, etc.. A truck doesn't say "I wanted a WRX but only got a civic". It says you went straight for something practical. RWD is a much better platform to learn on IMO. 4x4 is great to have, but not near as fun (too much weight, too high). Get a camper top with tint and you'll have your own private make-out fort too.

Here is another thought - owning cars sucks. Driving is awesome. Invest in yourself and your driving, not in cars. Go to a track event and pay to participate. Autocross your 2wd PU and whoop some ass (OK, that would be hard). Go rent some time at a nice gocart place. Etc.

Do not ever ride in a young friend's fast car when they are ****ing around. Trust me, it is not your job to lie to them and tell them they don't suck at driving, because they will. That is a great way to get your life ruined.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    So, based on previous comments, OP's priorities should be:

1) save money and buy a cheap car so he can spend it on girls
    2) with this cheap car, convert it into a "make out fort"
    3) save for college so he can spend more money on girls and on beer

OP, girls loved my 1984 chevy c10 pickup longbed truck more than my WRX. It's all about the way you sell it. Maybe i can give you some tips when you decide to make that make out fort. I got more "action" in my truck than I ever got in my WRX.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.