15 Year Old Noob - Page 19
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

This is a discussion on 15 Year Old Noob within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 2006 G35 Coupe...

2006 G35 Coupe
    15 year old

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by StreetKing View Post
    2006 G35 Coupe
    If buying a powerful first car is ever a sensible choice, then that's a good, fun car for sure. If you are getting an automatic then see if you can find a 37 as the gearbox is much smoother (7sp instead of 5).

I Support ClubWRX
    so, why not Subaru?
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Okay, I'm pretty late to this because I just joined the forum and subaru community. I'm 19 years old and purchased my 2005 WRX back in May. And StreetKing, I'm not gonna tell you what's right or wrong, because I was just like you when I was 16. I wanted the fastest and nicest car. Especially so people would know at my old high school. Unfortunately, I ended up driving my parents old AWD volvo to school. And fortunately, that car has seen hell and back. I understand you want a really nice car. A nice RWD car. Because so did I. I wanted a 350Z or G35 so bad. But insurance would've been the biggest pain in the butt. You're young, man. I've seen so many people just like you and me get ahead of themselves and buy really nice cars. Some of them ended up wrecking them, totaling them, or getting a lot of tickets because of the cars. Their insurance also went up. For the others, they thought they were sooooo cool that they had a really nice car and would talk about how much horsepower they were getting or trying to get, and how they wanted to add wheels/suspension, exhaust, etc. But I just laughed because they never got around to doing those things because they were always paying payments. I'm just saying, be smart. If I we're you, I'd get a FWD or AWD car. Like a Acura RSX, Honda Civic, or 200-2005 Subaru 2.5rs or WRX! Especially if you live in an area that rains and snows quite a bit. And a car that doesn't cost much. Especially since it's your first car. Trust me, I remember back when I was in high school and I was hard headed and didn't listen to my parents. And after seeing all of the guys at my school get in sooo much trouble because they wanted such an awesome car made me realize that the route I took was way smarter. Now I'm 19 and drive a WRX. My first real car. I'm saying, patience is the key to everything. And when you look back at this time a year or two from now, you'll see everything turned out how it was supposed to. I actually knew two guys that owned G35s. One ended up wrecking te first year when he was 16 and the other was always paying payments and getting speeding tickets. It's just not worth it. Haha. OH! And in high school, NOBODY knows how to drive! I remember one time I was parked in the school parking lot, and this dude pulls up right beside me and side swipes my car! So why would you want to have such a nice car that some idiot can ruin? Haha. I think you'd honestly be happy with an Integra/RSX or older WRX.

I also knew a guy that bought a brand new Scion FRS....... Let's just say he made the dumbest mistake of his life when he blew his motor. Lmao

I know I'm just doing a lot of blabbering. But trust me, it's a smart thing to just get a beater. It'll last you awhile. Insurance will be low, maintenance will be low. Etc. It's just so convenient. I've seen too many younger guys make stupid mistakes when they got a hold of a nice car.

Good luck to you. Be smart!

Also, I know a guy that waited and just drove his dad's old truck to school. People used to talk about him so much because his car was "ugly". But the funny thing is, HE was driving and the guys that would make fun of him didn't even drive. Haha. But lucky for him, he worked his butt off since he was 16, got a good job when he was 18 and after he graduated from high school, he bought a 370Z. Same for my two other friends, but one now has a miata and the other bought an 8th gen Civic Si. Haha

EDIT: I keep editing this. Lmao. But another thing! Even though I do have a little driving experience, even my WRX is a little too much for me to handle sometimes. Like the other day, on my way home. I was on a back road with no cars and I just floored it! The car jumped and it kinda scared me a little bit. It's just a lot of power for such a young person like you and me. Just don't be THAT GUY that ends up making a stupid mistake like I almost did. Haha
    Last edited by RockoBro; 07-30-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    Looking back and just getting back on this forum for the first time since winter, that is some GOOD advice. Wish I would have followed that. I'm 17 now and my wallet regrets me wanting such a nice car so soon. Long story. Maybe I'll tell it one of these days on my old build thread!
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

haha, wow, I was that same guy in high school, drove a butt ugly 1964 Dodge truck, but learned the stick, how to work on carb's, points, timing, did a clutch and brakes, great experience....then made the leap to a 69 Camero...which I could kick myself in the ass about for letting go. But who knew back in the 70's. Take away, learn, and then get something nice.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    how to work on carb's, points, timing,
    I remember how to set timing and somewhere I had a timing light -- a nice one. I don't know how to sync carbs and for the life of me can't remember how to set points, though I still have a feeler gauge somewhere. I bet there are mechanics in the field today doing great work and making great money that have not seen a carb in the wild.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I remember how to set timing and somewhere I had a timing light -- a nice one. I don't know how to sync carbs and for the life of me can't remember how to set points, though I still have a feeler gauge somewhere. I bet there are mechanics in the field today doing great work and making great money that have not seen a carb in the wild.
    Been years for me on points. I remember using the slider and then a little sliding metal window on the distributor cap (69 Camero) where you sneak in an allen wrench to further adjust the spacing, so you could get the dwell correct. I have carbs on my Z but, electronic ignition.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    I still have a working timing light and point / dwell meter. Really. Last used a few years ago for a former neighbor of mine who had a 1974 Chevy Nova that needed tweaking. I remembered how to adjust point gap. 1975 waved bye bye to mechanical ignition in favor of HEI. Aside from setting high / low idle speeds, carburetor adjustment is an art rather than science.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Been years for me on points. I remember using the slider and then a little sliding metal window on the distributor cap (69 Camero) where you sneak in an allen wrench to further adjust the spacing, so you could get the dwell correct. I have carbs on my Z but, electronic ignition.
    Did the 260Z still use the SU flat carbs? My 240Z had those.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I still have a working timing light and point / dwell meter. Really. Last used a few years ago for a former neighbor of mine who had a 1974 Chevy Nova that needed tweaking. I remembered how to adjust point gap. Aside from setting high / low idle speeds, carburetor adjustment is an art rather than science.
    I was never any good at that. Ever.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

[QUOTE=SD_GR;3646457]Did the 260Z still use the SU flat carbs? My 240Z had those.

Probably. My Z is ..shall we say a little different. I have triple 40mm Mikuni's, and it's a N42 block (280z) bored out to 3.1 with a P90 head. And I had a pro do the syncing...lol. But they're dialed in solid.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX

Probably. My Z is ..shall we say a little different. I have triple 40mm Mikuni's, and it's a N42 block (280z) bored out to 3.1 with a P90 head. And I had a pro do the syncing...lol. But they're dialed in solid.
    Triples were the hot ticket back then! I miss my Zs sometimes. Have you done a 280ZX 5spd or rear disc brakes too?

I Support ClubWRX
    I was never any good at that. Ever.
    I learned how to everything reasonably well except the carburetor settings that did not involve idle speeds (really easy).

I only worked on single carburetor engines. Two or more were beyond my ability - never had the opportunity really ...

I've had people tell me how great the 60's muscle car era was. I always tell tell them how hard it was to get a great tune on a fully mechanical engine versus today's ECU PC tune (Tactrix).

I do not miss the point and condenser days at all.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Triples were the hot ticket back then! I miss my Zs sometimes. Have you done a 280ZX 5spd or rear disc brakes too?
    It does have the 5 speed, and R200 rear end. I dug up a video I took...... MP4 So I don't think I can upload it here. I have some pic's some where on this blasted computer.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I learned how to everything reasonably well except the carburetor settings that did not involve idle speeds (really easy).

I only worked on single carburetor engines. Two or more were beyond my ability - never had the opportunity really ...

I've had people tell me how great the 60's muscle car era was. I always tell tell them how hard it was to get a great tune on a fully mechanical engine versus today's ECU PC tune (Tactrix).

I do not miss the point and condenser days at all.
    I think everyone sees the past with rose-coloured glasses at times. It was always "the good old days" never mind that the cars would not run nearly as long, well, or quickly as today, and that they would turn like yachts and stop somewhere down the road vs. stopping RIGHT HERE!!! today, tomorrow, and into next week like modern cars.

Now I've got to say I'm still in love with LARGE land yacht style cars and station wagons. The more ungainly, underpowered, and over-adorned, the better. Love 'em.

I wonder if the OP would consider a 1976 Chrysler New Yorker.

It does have the 5 speed, and R200 rear end. I dug up a video I took...... MP4 So I don't think I can upload it here. I have some pic's some where on this blasted computer.
    Wow nice. Always wanted that stuff for my Zs, never got around to it. Congrats.