Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

15 Year Old Noob

29K views 298 replies 64 participants last post by  RockoBro 
#1 ·
Hey whats up guys. I'm 15 years old and I live in New York State (on the border of NJ - Bergen County). I'm basically wanting a WRX or an STI as my first car when I'm 17/18, or I'm also thinking about getting a 370z, 350z, Genesis Coupe, or a BRZ. I've thought about an EVO but I've read a lot about them and saw a lot of reviews and turns out it has really bad turbo lag and sucks at handling on the road. Well thats basically it about me.. and thanks for reading.

-SK

#10 ·
I had a 1965 Dodge D Series Truck, looked like the body been painted with house paint, and a broom. Primer hood. Slant six engine, single barrel carb, and a 4 speed trans (really 3 because of granny gear)....$150.00 all in ...hahaha ... Did get a 69 Camero for my next car though... But yeah agree start with a beater and then move up the food chain.

#11 ·
Sure hope you're doing some saving. Nothing wrong with having a nice car as your first car IMO, but t's what you do with it that reflects your maturity level. So, make sure you're not going to be an idiot with it.

#12 ·
Lol you guys are right I am not a 'StreetKing' its just a stupid name I thought was cool since my initials are SK. Also I didn't mean it being my first car, possibly my second.. I'm going to be driving my mom's Hyundai 2012 Sonata when I get my license and then maybe a few months later buy a WRX or STI *saving up/working*. I plan on getting a 2007+ model and want to put in a subwoofer a nice sound system and then on the exterior some tints, and put my logo somewhere on the car. But all this might change if my budget doesn't turn out right.

#14 ·
Welcome I live in Jersey too, I drive a '12 wrx got one speeding ticket over a year ago and pay almost $300 a month for insurance, car payment is around $400 a month plus about $400 on gas per month. So figure I pay $1100 just on my car expenses. Comparitively my first car cost me $300 and ran strong for 2 years no problems for me to save up to buy my car now. I was the same way as you wanting an STi for my first car but trust me not the best idea get a beater for a year and save up for what you want and around here a wrx is gonna be your best bet ;)

#20 ·
You'll understand money when you get in college. $1500 for your calculus class. $175-300 for a parking pass. $60 for an online code so you can turn in your homework. $400-$800 per month for rent. $200 per month for groceries. I wish I drove a beater...

#29 ·
an ugly accord? my first car that i had when i was 14 was a 1987 accord [5 speed of course]. i was in love with it and so grateful that my parents bought it for me. ($500.00)

i kept that for about 2 years and saved my money to by a 98 civic. then i sold that and bought a 99 civic. and finally after 3 years of driving experience, at 17 i bought myself a brand new 2006 wrx.

be patient. save your money. dont worry so much about having a super totally awesome rad racecar right away. worry about having something safe, reliable, & good on gas. if you can make it a few years with no accidents, no tickets, etc.. then get a car with a little more power.

#23 ·
The Civic is among the best cars ever made. Honda have been among the top motor producers globally for decades. If you want to splurge see if you can budget an Accord.

#24 ·
Haha, I was in your position about four and a half years ago. Most people on this forum are old(er). So don't get upset, they're old, have families, and have made many decisions you will soon make. They will know best because hey, they've been there. Coming from a fellow teenager, I would say spend as little as you can on a car. Again, you will mot regret that decision when you enter college. But that dosnt mean you can't buy something worthwhile. My best memories were made in beaters with my friends at dragstrips, rallycrosses, and autocrosses. My car isn't expensive in comparison to a newer sti or wrx, but if I could do it over, I would have kept my beater because I would've had money in my pocket now. You'll understand in just a few short years. Spend your money on experiences and not a car that will lose value. Just enjoy whatever you get and beat the crap out of it. Drive it to the end of the earth and worry about expensive cars when you're older.

#30 ·
Hondas are probably the most reliable cars out there and literally will take a beating AND still run great. I just don't like the community.
I agree with others here...I don't think you should have a z or wrx as a first car...especially being new to driving. you should get a 911 gt instead.
evo on the other hand...(don't care if I get bashed here) are better cars in my opinion then the wrx. I love both and would want both. the 8 and 9 are a bit more reliable then the 10 and they all hold retail pretty dam good.

#34 ·
Lol, here were was my plan for "first cars" when I was 15, in no particular order:

*E30 BMW M3
*E46 BMW 5-series
*Mini Cooper S (the "hottest" version at the time)
*Import a Nissan Skyline R34 (because I saw it on Need for Speed: Underground).

The reality? I borrowed a Plymouth Voyager minivan through high school and college. After college, I carpooled to work with my wife's beat to death Mazda 626 and walked home.

Moral of the story? You don't need an STI as a first car. As others have said, an inexpensive Civic or the like will serve you well through the rest of school and you can celebrate your fancy new job after school with a WRX. I bought my WRX in cash with my signing bonus, and the feeling of accomplishment on that day was great.

#36 ·
Lol, here were was my plan for "first cars" when I was 15, in no particular order:
Damn you dreamed big. I wanted a lifted 93 Chevy pickup. I bought a 93 chevy pickup at 18 (second truck), lifted, motor swap, stereo, paint, $30k and 6 years later, sold it for $7500. Learned an absolute ton, drove my dad nuts, met my wife in it, learned about MPG's, and engine tuning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.