15 Year Old Noob - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 291

This is a discussion on 15 Year Old Noob within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by smorris Late to the game, but I'll throw my two cents in here. First generation Miata can ...

  1. #136
    Registered User StreetKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by smorris View Post
    Late to the game, but I'll throw my two cents in here.

    First generation Miata can be inexpensive, easy to work on and upgrade, reliable, and fun as Hell. They are lightweight, "tossable", inexpensive to autocross (which is a fantastic way for a new driver to learn car control), and fun as Hell. Second generation are a big heavier and more expensive, but not as old, so probably easier to find in good shape. Like someone else said, nothing is as boring as driving a fast car slow. Driving a slow car fast is fun as Hell! (I have a '58 MG that doesn't go fast, but is a blast to drive)

    A '98-'01 Subaru 2.5 RS Coupe is the sexiest production car Subaru ever made. Find one - buy it! Your friends won't understand, but screw 'em; you'll "get it."

    I bought my first car when I was 14 for $80 ($560 adjusted for inflation), worked on it for three years before I could drive it, and eventually sold it for $800 ($5600 adjusted for inflation.) It would go 70 MPH tops, had no shocks (they were a factory option), drove like a truck, and was fun as Hell!




    See a common thread here? Get a cheap fun car and have a blast with it. My two daughter's bought a 12 year old Miata and a 6 year old Smart as their first car. I sent my eldest daughter to Mid-Ohio Teen Driving School and took her autocross racing. She has repeatedly said those experiences have saved her bacon a few times. She drove it in the snow all winter with steelies and snow tires.

    Good luck,
    Steve
    4X your age...
    You're right. I'm not ready to drive a really fast car like a 13' STI or a modern rally car in general. And yes I have heard the Miata is a very fun car with a lot of personality lol. I actually was considering it but I think I might have come up to a conclusion of a Subaru 2.5 RS Coupe, Nissan 240sx, or a 2013 Nissan GTR (LMFAO jk). But yeah I think the the 2.5 rs coupe and 240sx both look amazing and are pretty well affordable.

    Btw your car looks like a boss! ;D
    15 year old

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #137
    Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rocky Top
    Posts
    2,298
    If you're looking at a 240sx don't forget the drift tax. On NADA and KBB they may be worth $1-2k but they are "worth" $5-10k after "taxes" with a stock high mileage KA24DE non turbo, XXR rims with bald tires, and some $300 coilovers. Oh, and windshield stickers, body damage, and crappy paint. LMFAO. Look for an old person who is 1st or 2nd owner of a completely stock car. When it comes to 240's, there's a high ratio of bad examples, just be careful lol.

  4. #138
    Registered User StreetKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    If you're looking at a 240sx don't forget the drift tax. On NADA and KBB they may be worth $1-2k but they are "worth" $5-10k after "taxes" with a stock high mileage KA24DE non turbo, XXR rims with bald tires, and some $300 coilovers. Oh, and windshield stickers, body damage, and crappy paint. LMFAO. Look for an old person who is 1st or 2nd owner of a completely stock car. When it comes to 240's, there's a high ratio of bad examples, just be careful lol.
    Yessir I'll definitely try to find a good stock 240sx if I am going for it. ;D
    15 year old

  5. #139
    The Member michaelwfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North GA
    Posts
    3,541
    I Support ClubWRX
    2.5 RS > 240

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

    My "Build" Thread!

    2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

  6. #140
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the Port. ME
    Posts
    2,838
    I Support ClubWRX
    Go to post #77...nuff said.

  7. #141
    Registered User StreetKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    My first car was a 97' honda accord. I didn't own it, but that is that car my parents allowed me to borrow to drive back/forth to school. When I graduated from HS I bought a s10 blazer zr2, which is one of my favorite vehicles I ever owned. That thing could go anywhere. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore. It was a five speed and was really easy to learn how to drive a manual with that truck. It did start to fall apart after 80,000 miles though (it was a chevy and I beat the crap out of it). I would recommend a late 90's early 00's honda of some kind (not a fan of the civic, but loved the accord). Either that, if you can get your hands on a fairly treated 2.5rs (late 90's early 00) that would be a great car too. Good luck with your decision!
    Yes the 2.5rs is the car I am currently considering! I would like a 01 Impreza RS w/ 2.5 liter engine.
    15 year old

  8. #142
    Registered User StreetKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    127
    Actually guys, I think we have 1 more competitor lol.

    2010 Hyundai Genesis 2.0t
    15 year old

  9. #143
    Registered User Brazilnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    229
    An older Hyundai Genesis coupe might not be a bad choice. I get your dilemma. You want something cool and enjoyable to drive around in. It has to be reliable. It also should have (sorry if this offends you) the LEAST amount of HP possible because otherwise your monthly insurance rates will be horrific.

    Hear me out...
    When I was 15, my first car was a black 1996 Eclipse Spyder. It was a 5-speed and convertible. (Look it up... its a hot little car!) I bought it from my aunt for $4800 (well, $2k of my life savings and took a loan out from my parents for the rest. I was their SLAVE until I graduated college. No joke.) I absolutely LOVED that car. I think it only had 120 or maybe 140 horsepower. My dad nicknamed it "the fast-looking slow car." Due to the low HP, it was actually cheaper to insure me on the Eclipse than my mom's minivan!!

    Initially, I washed that car WEEKLY. I parked in the back of the lot, all the way in the corner, and hugged the curb to avoid door dings. Then I took that same car to college with me and it took a good beating. Huge dings in the doors from cramped university garages. A smashed wheel well from a hit-and-run in the parking lot. Clear coat literally flaking off the car from baking in the southern sun for so many years.

    If you're going to shoot for an impreza or even a WRX, you've got my support. Aim for a slightly older model (07-09) in good condition with low-ish mileage. Make a list of "acceptable" first cars and keep saving your money up. That way when you find a good deal on a used one, you can snag it, and hopefully avoid nasty monthly car payments. I remember how envious my friends were of me in college (and a few years after) because I didn't have a car payment. Unless your parents are filthy rich, its not a bad route. You can drive a cheap used car, work, save a TON of money and still have enough money to have a social life. And after you graduate college/trade school, you should have saved up enough money to get one of your dream cars (and possibly by then you'll have a nice, safe garage to keep it in, too!)

    Best of luck, OP.

  10. #144
    Registered User StreetKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazilnut View Post
    An older Hyundai Genesis coupe might not be a bad choice. I get your dilemma. You want something cool and enjoyable to drive around in. It has to be reliable. It also should have (sorry if this offends you) the LEAST amount of HP possible because otherwise your monthly insurance rates will be horrific.

    Hear me out...
    When I was 15, my first car was a black 1996 Eclipse Spyder. It was a 5-speed and convertible. (Look it up... its a hot little car!) I bought it from my aunt for $4800 (well, $2k of my life savings and took a loan out from my parents for the rest. I was their SLAVE until I graduated college. No joke.) I absolutely LOVED that car. I think it only had 120 or maybe 140 horsepower. My dad nicknamed it "the fast-looking slow car." Due to the low HP, it was actually cheaper to insure me on the Eclipse than my mom's minivan!!

    Initially, I washed that car WEEKLY. I parked in the back of the lot, all the way in the corner, and hugged the curb to avoid door dings. Then I took that same car to college with me and it took a good beating. Huge dings in the doors from cramped university garages. A smashed wheel well from a hit-and-run in the parking lot. Clear coat literally flaking off the car from baking in the southern sun for so many years.

    If you're going to shoot for an impreza or even a WRX, you've got my support. Aim for a slightly older model (07-09) in good condition with low-ish mileage. Make a list of "acceptable" first cars and keep saving your money up. That way when you find a good deal on a used one, you can snag it, and hopefully avoid nasty monthly car payments. I remember how envious my friends were of me in college (and a few years after) because I didn't have a car payment. Unless your parents are filthy rich, its not a bad route. You can drive a cheap used car, work, save a TON of money and still have enough money to have a social life. And after you graduate college/trade school, you should have saved up enough money to get one of your dream cars (and possibly by then you'll have a nice, safe garage to keep it in, too!)

    Best of luck, OP.
    Hi Yeah.. What I am looking for is something fun and good looking that's an older model of a 'cool' car or something I think is 'cool'.
    The cars that I have listed are the following (in no particular order):
    - 98-01 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 - looks sexy
    - 89-94 Nissan 240sx - looks sexy when in great condition
    - 2011-2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0 - looks sexy but like you said, the insurance might just kill me
    - Toyota Supra MK2 - not bad looking
    - Nissan 350z - might be expensive
    - Nissan 300zx - eh...

    And thats about it as far as I know lol.

    I too will take great care of my car and try to avoid any dings or scratches when parking in a lot. So.... what was your 2nd car?
    15 year old

  11. #145
    Registered User Terminal Kuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    265
    Hyundai veloster. I would have driven the **** out of that when i was 16. I had a 99 Nissan Maxima that i totaled.
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.

  12. #146
    Registered User Brazilnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetKing View Post
    Hi Yeah.. What I am looking for is something fun and good looking that's an older model of a 'cool' car or something I think is 'cool'.
    The cars that I have listed are the following (in no particular order):
    - 98-01 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 - looks sexy
    - 89-94 Nissan 240sx - looks sexy when in great condition
    - 2011-2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0 - looks sexy but like you said, the insurance might just kill me
    - Toyota Supra MK2 - not bad looking
    - Nissan 350z - might be expensive
    - Nissan 300zx - eh...

    And thats about it as far as I know lol.

    I too will take great care of my car and try to avoid any dings or scratches when parking in a lot. So.... what was your 2nd car?
    Not a bad list. I saw a sick nasty RS on the road today. (I waved. He didn't wave back. NO LOVE). Just keep in mind that older cars (over 7 years or 70K miles) tend to start to wear down and can potentially have expensive problems to fix. Do some research and try to see what problems are common for those cars. The Eclipse I drove got to the point where it just wasn't worth the thousands of dollars in repairs. 140K miles. Electrical issues where the radio would cut out if my turn signal was on (short from battery to alternator). Wasted money on numerous batteries and alternators until finding an electrician specialist. Replaced the motor for the top twice (expensive). AC compressor was replaced, broke immediately, replaced again and broken. I lived in hot, humid FL and NEVER had working A/C. Things really got ugly when the driver's side convertible latch busted and I could NOT find a replacement part anywhere... and I searched a lot of junkyards. You want to talk about a kiddie pool on wheels? I had one. My car constantly reeked of mildew. But I still loved it. Sadly, it just gets to a point... I ended up selling it to our yard guy for $1200.

    In 2009, my 2nd car was graciously donated to me by my mom, who coincidentally just bought a new car for herself. She got a Kia Forte coupe. I got her '99 Volvo S70. Not an attractive car by any means, but it got me through the rest of college. It's been a true beater car. I've nicknamed it "the tank" 'cause it never dies. Awesome sound system (beats a new Subaru's any day). Its great for kayaking, getting from point A to B, but its not fun at all to drive. I felt like a part of my soul died after selling my Eclipse.

    Finally, I've landed where I'm at today... a 2013 TOP-SE WRX. Every time I see my car it puts a huge smile on my face.
    I still have the Volvo (its for sale if you want it, HAHA).

    Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Kuz View Post
    Hyundai veloster. I would have driven the **** out of that when i was 16. I had a 99 Nissan Maxima that i totaled.
    Those velosters are eye-catching- especially that matte finish gray. HOTNESS!

  13. #147
    Registered User lytlec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    4,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Kuz View Post
    Hyundai veloster. I would have driven the **** out of that when i was 16. I had a 99 Nissan Maxima that i totaled.
    A guy in my neighborhood that drives one of these....he always makes his BOV vent when he drives by my house.....I'm thinking about making my EWG vent when I drive by him some day.....
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

  14. #148
    Registered User StreetKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazilnut View Post
    Not a bad list. I saw a sick nasty RS on the road today. (I waved. He didn't wave back. NO LOVE). Just keep in mind that older cars (over 7 years or 70K miles) tend to start to wear down and can potentially have expensive problems to fix. Do some research and try to see what problems are common for those cars. The Eclipse I drove got to the point where it just wasn't worth the thousands of dollars in repairs. 140K miles. Electrical issues where the radio would cut out if my turn signal was on (short from battery to alternator). Wasted money on numerous batteries and alternators until finding an electrician specialist. Replaced the motor for the top twice (expensive). AC compressor was replaced, broke immediately, replaced again and broken. I lived in hot, humid FL and NEVER had working A/C. Things really got ugly when the driver's side convertible latch busted and I could NOT find a replacement part anywhere... and I searched a lot of junkyards. You want to talk about a kiddie pool on wheels? I had one. My car constantly reeked of mildew. But I still loved it. Sadly, it just gets to a point... I ended up selling it to our yard guy for $1200.

    In 2009, my 2nd car was graciously donated to me by my mom, who coincidentally just bought a new car for herself. She got a Kia Forte coupe. I got her '99 Volvo S70. Not an attractive car by any means, but it got me through the rest of college. It's been a true beater car. I've nicknamed it "the tank" 'cause it never dies. Awesome sound system (beats a new Subaru's any day). Its great for kayaking, getting from point A to B, but its not fun at all to drive. I felt like a part of my soul died after selling my Eclipse.

    Finally, I've landed where I'm at today... a 2013 TOP-SE WRX. Every time I see my car it puts a huge smile on my face.
    I still have the Volvo (its for sale if you want it, HAHA).
    Lol just googled the Eclipse Spyder and it does look pretty good.. I myself am actually worried the people who sell the 240sx, RS 3.5, 300zx and the other older cars on my list alter the milage with a power drill or something and change it to 40k less than the actual milage or something. Do you think dealerships will do that? To their old/used vehicles. And what is up with the 'Subaru Wave' lol Subaru owners are funny. What model is the Volvo and how much do you want for it? ;P




    Those velosters are eye-catching- especially that matte finish gray. HOTNESS!
    I think you are eye catching.
    15 year old

  15. #149
    Registered User StreetKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Kuz View Post
    Hyundai veloster. I would have driven the **** out of that when i was 16. I had a 99 Nissan Maxima that i totaled.
    My parents want me to get one of those. FWD w/ turbo lol. Civic Hatch for Hyundai lol. How well does a FWD handle compared to the RWD? I heard FWD cars would have a lot more problems than the RWD because of the layout and such.
    15 year old

  16. #150
    Registered User StreetKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    A guy in my neighborhood that drives one of these....he always makes his BOV vent when he drives by my house.....I'm thinking about making my EWG vent when I drive by him some day.....
    Modified the hell out of it? Lol
    15 year old

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •