Newbie From Texas

This is a discussion on Newbie From Texas within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi there! I'm a complete newbie to Subaru but have had my 13' WRX Premium for 5 months and I'm ...

Newbie From Texas

Hi there! I'm a complete newbie to Subaru but have had my 13' WRX Premium for 5 months and I'm loving every minute I'm behind the wheel! Previously came from a Toyota Celica and this is my first turbocharged car. I've been doing tons of research to get to know my car as much as I can, as I plan to start the modding phase probably early next year sometime. Anyway, enough banter and on with the pics!

I also wanted to go ahead and get it out of the way with my question regarding gauges. I didn't opt for the factory SPT boost gauge as I've read some really poor reviews but I'm still on the fence on doing it because it would be dealer installed and I worry about botching my warranty with an aftermarket setup. Any truth to this or just talk? If I did go aftermarket, I got my eyes on a SMY Cluster and Defi/Prosport gauges.

Hope this isn't too much for an introduction thread!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hi there nice rex man. What part of Texas are you from?

I opted for the factory SPT gauge myself and have never had any problems but this is my first turbo car too and may not know better. The only thing I have noticed is that in the Texas heat the rubber face around the outside of the gauge has adhesive that seems to be melting and dripping on the dash but it reads fine.

As for the warranty dealerships won't honor it if the part you modified causes the problem that you bring the car in for if that makes sense. So for instance a custom boost gauge wont affect a transmission problem so your warranty is still good there and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Convictus View Post
    Hi there nice rex man. What part of Texas are you from?

I opted for the factory SPT gauge myself and have never had any problems but this is my first turbo car too and may not know better. The only thing I have noticed is that in the Texas heat the rubber face around the outside of the gauge has adhesive that seems to be melting and dripping on the dash but it reads fine.

As for the warranty dealerships won't honor it if the part you modified causes the problem that you bring the car in for if that makes sense. So for instance a custom boost gauge wont affect a transmission problem so your warranty is still good there and so on.
    Hey, thanks for the compliment! I'm in Fort Worth, specifically the Burleson area.

Interesting to know on the SPT gauge. Like I said, I'm still on the fence on if I want to go that route or not. I am knew to everything turbo related and gauge related so I have no idea what I would be risking with an aftermarket install by a tuning shop. The warranty thing makes sense. I just would hate to screw myself over by making a bad decision you know?

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

It's highly unlikely an aftermarket lever/bushing setup would cause warranty issues.

Skip right over the Prosport gauges; you're better off wiping your ass with the money you'd waste on them.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Welcome, from Texas
    "When we understand us, our consciousness, we also understand the universe and the separation disappears."
    ~ Amit Goswami ~

God I love that color. Congrats!

And I had a huge problem with prosport. From personal experience I recommend you stay very clear from anything that company makes. Short story my gauge arrived DOA they refused to warranty it unless I paid out of pocket to mail it to them. So they could "assess it" and then I had to pay them to ship my broken gauge back to me if they found nothing wrong. Or pay to ship a new Gauge out if it was indeed DOA. I got so fed up dealing with them that ended up eating the cost and have a pretty lame $90 Taiwanese paperweight now.

Stick with the name brands Defi, greddy, autometer etc IMO. I use an autometer now and it works perfectly

There's a very good reason prosports electronic gauges are $90 and everyone else's are $250-300. You get what you pay for. Do it right the first time. ripping apart your dash 4 or 5 times fishing lines and cables and wires through it trying to diagnose your problem only to find its a bad gauge is no fun trust me I know....
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 08-03-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Thanks guys! What a shame, seems like Prosport is one of "those" companies. I'll definitely hold out and do it right with some defi gauges. Haven't really found a bad review on them yet.

So I had another question that I forgot to ask I guess regarding reliability? Anyway, I'm still on factory fluids but past my break in period (2,350 miles) and I've had some opportunities to beat on my car pretty hard at a few local tracks/strips. I've done 140+ already (what a blast that was!) and the car just feels like its nothing heh. I'm sure I'm just OCD about already breaking something with a brand new car but I figured I would ask if anyone else has "beaten" on their car on stock fluids.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum! Luuuuuv that color

I've got Autometer Cobalt series gauges (click for pix).

You're comin' up on an oil change in another 1000 miles or so, anyway.
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

ClubWRX.net Vendor Fast Tuning Products's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!
    Available Nights and Weekends Via E-mail and Private Message!!
    We want to Earn your Business!
    Give Us a Call Monday - Friday 10a-6p EST to order by phone!
    724-708-3044
    Need a price matched or beat? Email Us: sales@fasttuningproducts.com
    Like Us on Facebook: www.FaceBook.com/FastTuningProducts
    www.FastTuningProducts.com
    We Accept Paypal/Visa/MasterCard/American Express/AMEX/Discover

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Luuuuuv that color

I've got Autometer Cobalt series gauges (click for pix).

You're comin' up on an oil change in another 1000 miles or so, anyway.
    Thanks for the link. Nice build thread btw, love the progress! Those gauges look pretty nice, makes me want to do my setup sooner.

Yep, getting close to that 3k mark. Like I said above I'm all paranoid I'm being too hard on the car too soon, but I'm sure it's all in my head. After all, one of the mechanics that was showing me the in's and out's when I got the car told me I could beat the hell out of it after the break in!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ensorcelled View Post
    Thanks for the link. Nice build thread btw, love the progress! Those gauges look pretty nice, makes me want to do my setup sooner.

Yep, getting close to that 3k mark. Like I said above I'm all paranoid I'm being too hard on the car too soon, but I'm sure it's all in my head. After all, one of the mechanics that was showing me the in's and out's when I got the car told me I could beat the hell out of it after the break in!
    Thanks yourself!

Does this mechanic work on commission? Or was it his last day on the job?... lol
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    Thanks yourself!

Does this mechanic work on commission? Or was it his last day on the job?... lol
    Heh, no clue. Lets just hope me doing 120-140mph+ at the strip a handful of times didn't do me in! Car certainly liked it I think hehe. /paranoia /O.C.D mode.
    Last edited by Ensorcelled; 08-04-2013 at 01:15 PM.

What a sexy car.
    15 year old

Welcome to the forum!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"