New to Subaru and Looking at Buying a WRX Very Soon

This is a discussion on New to Subaru and Looking at Buying a WRX Very Soon within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First, let me say if there is a better place to post this let me know. A little background: I ...

New to Subaru and Looking at Buying a WRX Very Soon

First, let me say if there is a better place to post this let me know.

A little background: I had originally planned on keeping my ultra reliable, ultra gas saver echo until after I graduate university in 2 years... but two of my friends just bought wrx's and now waiting isn't an option.

Ok - I am looking at a 2004 Silver WRX sedan, 5 MT, 131,xxx miles, clean title, 3 inch cat back exhaust, alpine CD player, optima battery, all emblems are shaved off of the exterior. The owner says it has had regular oil changes, iridium plugs and trans fluid change 10k miles ago and that it is mechanically perfect.

The bad things about the car are it has about a 1 square inch of paint chipping on the rear bumper, and little paint chips all along where the front license plate goes. The car also has some ghetto fabulous chrome wheels, I planned on getting aftermarket wheels anyway so this isn't terrible to me.

He is looking for a gas saver to trade. I have an 01 Echo, which I have been offered $3300 for and he wants $3500 on top. So, basically thats $6800 to me without the hassle of selling my car. To me this sounds like a great deal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by thorfox View Post
    First, let me say if there is a better place to post this let me know.

A little background: I had originally planned on keeping my ultra reliable, ultra gas saver echo until after I graduate university in 2 years... but two of my friends just bought wrx's and now waiting isn't an option.

Ok - I am looking at a 2004 Silver WRX sedan, 5 MT, 131,xxx miles, clean title, 3 inch cat back exhaust, alpine CD player, optima battery, all emblems are shaved off of the exterior. The owner says it has had regular oil changes, iridium plugs and trans fluid change 10k miles ago and that it is mechanically perfect.

The bad things about the car are it has about a 1 square inch of paint chipping on the rear bumper, and little paint chips all along where the front license plate goes. The car also has some ghetto fabulous chrome wheels, I planned on getting aftermarket wheels anyway so this isn't terrible to me.

He is looking for a gas saver to trade. I have an 01 Echo, which I have been offered $3300 for and he wants $3500 on top. So, basically thats $6800 to me without the hassle of selling my car. To me this sounds like a great deal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Why do you have to get one now that your friends have them? Why not save up and then get a brand new car when you graduate and can afford a nice one?

Of course the owner is going to represent that all maitenance has been done. Get proof.
    Also, bring the car to a knowledgeable subaru mechanic to have them take a look at it.
    The car has been modified. And probably abused.

I'm sorry to say this, but based on your description, I would probably pass unless the mechanic said it was in mint condition, which it doesn't sound like it is. Also, I wouldn't want the ghetto fab chrome wheels on. That is another $1-2K you will have to spend on wheels and rubber.

Keep the echo and use the money for beer.

I Support ClubWRX
    Pass.

The Echo is an excellent car.

I'd keep the Echo not just until I graduate, but literally until it completely disintegrates. We're not talking until the upholstery is a little worn and there are a few dings; we're talking until there is not a tooth left on any gear in the gearbox and the motor no longer turns over at all, plus the doors have quite literally melted off.

Shoot for 300,000 k on the odometer of the Echo. If/when that happens, then consider something else.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well I've been wanting one for a while now and I've made enough money this summer to be able to buy a wrx around 7k. So now that I've driven and seen my friend's cars ive decided to start looking for one.

I don't doubt that the majority of wrx are abused at least a little bit, thats just usually what you get in the used car market. Plus from what I've read subarus are very reliable and in most cases take abuse fine. I know there's no way to know how long the car will end up lasting, but if it drives fine now i would think itd last me another 70k miles until i get out of school.

The chrome wheels would be replaced immediately, but ive factored that in

... that is the responsible, rational thing to do. I never ever thought i'd get talked out of buying a wrx on a wrx board.

I Support ClubWRX
    ... that is the responsible, rational thing to do. I never ever thought i'd get talked out of buying a wrx on a wrx board.
    I am not trying to talk you out of buying a WRX, I am giving you my honest opinion. I think that car will end up costing you much more than your $7K budget when it is all said and done. If you can afford a nice car in college though, I say go for whatever car suits your fancy. I drove a $30K truck in college, so I would be lying to say that college kids shouldn't drive nice cars.

At this mileage you'd want to see proof of timing belt/waterpump/rollers change at around 100K mls....Without that = no go at all!
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    At this mileage you'd want to see proof of timing belt/waterpump/rollers change at around 100K mls....Without that = no go at all!
    + thirty-twelve
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    He's had it for 3 years from 70k miles, never did the timing belt/waterpump/rollers

He's had it for 3 years from 70k miles, never did the timing belt/waterpump/rollers
    That's way overdue. That thing is a ticking time bomb. It's a fairly expensive ($1k or more if you don't do the work yourself) service that absolutely has to be done at this point.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"