Upgrade on stereo.

This is a discussion on Upgrade on stereo. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Should you first upgrade head unit or speakers in a 2013 WRX wagon. Also can I use my steering wheel ...

Upgrade on stereo.

Should you first upgrade head unit or speakers in a 2013 WRX wagon. Also can I use my steering wheel buttons?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkwrx View Post
    Should you first upgrade head unit or speakers in a 2013 WRX wagon. Also can I use my steering wheel buttons?
    If you are not doing them together than do the Head Unit first. If you don't the new speakers won't be an upgrade at all.

Yes, plan to do them both. Any recommendations on head unit. Have android phone and want to be able to use pandora and such. Any recs for the speakers as well?

I Support ClubWRX
    I personally like Alpine stuff. Just preference though. I have had two stereo's in my two previous cars that had well over $2K invested in them and they were both full alpine. I was very satisfied with the quality for the price ratio.

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I had a Pioneer AVIC unit installed. The dealer did it for me when I purchased the car. They added a backup camera and my steering wheel buttons work. I think I read it takes some sort of extra module to get the buttons to work, but I don't know for sure. The XM and GPS required two separate antennas which they placed on my dash. That was the worst part about the whole thing. As far as Android, I remember a lot of people complaining that the compatibility stinks. Maybe the updated versions are better as my head unit is now a couple of years old. My iPhone integrates with it well. The map guidance on it is marginal. Sometimes she gives me directions that make no sense. Using the audio and DVD functions are pretty good though. It certainly sounds better than the stock unit!

I Support ClubWRX
    My recommendation for H/U replacement is based on what you want from it...
    1) Navigation - Kenwood (uses the Garmin interface)
    2) Sound Quality - Alpine
    3) Budget - Pioneer (I'd recommend against getting a navigation unit, however, and using either a standalone GPS or your phone)

As for parts progression, I'd recommend the following:
    1) H/U - a little more power to the speakers, and EQ adjustability
    2) H/U + Sub - allows you to isolate the bass, so stock speakers only focus on the mids/highs
    3) H/U + Sub + Component Speakers (front) - spend all your money for audio equipment up front, where you'll spend 99% of your time; rear speakers can mess with staging

Sound deadening is useful at any stage in the game, and if you're interested in solid deadening advice, see below:
    STI sound deadening, new tutorial - NASIOC

The write-up is for 04-07 STIs, but is pretty applicable to all non-hatch based vehicles. Hatchbacks require additional work to them to properly deaden.
    Last edited by EJ257; 07-31-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

As far as recommendations go in terms of manufacturer, I really encourage you to go use some head units at Best-Buy or Car-Toys or your local audio shop, and find what you like best. Some UI's are so far behind, they are god awful to use.