I'm new. Yeah, yeah, yadda, yadda... - Page 11
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on I'm new. Yeah, yeah, yadda, yadda... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Brazilnut Sorry I haven't posted in a while. We went to Vegas and I just got back ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazilnut View Post
    Sorry I haven't posted in a while. We went to Vegas and I just got back in town late last night. I spoke with the auto transport company today and they did absolutely nothing while I was away. The GM/owner claims he "didnt have time to check emails" when I asked what he thought of the pics I sent of the damage. Um OK....its been almost a week! He has until 5pm tomorrow to get back to me with an answer or I'm calling my attorney. Ugh....so frustrating! Poor Garfield. :-( Updated pics with tint should happen this weekend. Depending on which day they're taken, you might get a glimpse at the new head unit being installed Saturday.
    Give them a chance to work it out - they will completely stop talking to you at the mere word of 'attorney', and the attorney will cost you more probably. If anything, use insurance (they can use their attorneys in different ways).

Quite lovely BTW. Orange, that is.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The auto transport company has been difficult to work with and an extreme pain to get a hold of. They're called Five Star Auto Transport. More like NO STAR auto transport. Ugh.

My head hurts.

Insurance deductible is $250 (owch) but definitely an option at this point.

Any one with body work experience know what it'd cost out of pocket to fix Garfield's paint? Thanks for your input!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	035 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	115535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	036 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	115536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	039 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	115537

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i cant really tell from the angle of the pic, but have you considered just buying a cheap front lip? it may cover the damage or at least hide 95% of it. they are super durable and will prevent future damage. i'd highly recommend getting one either way.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Around $300

I'd guess:

Removal = .5hrs
    installation = .5hrs
    paint/prep time = 1.5 hrs
    paint and supplies = .75 hrs (most shops bill supplies as a function of hourly rates, not sure why)

avg labor rate ~ $90 per hr

total hrs = 3.25
    total $$ = $292.5

That's a pretty good guesstimate. If you went to several shops, you'd find they would be +-$50
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 08-09-2013 at 06:27 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    BTW, at this point its almost worth paying to get it done yourself and then sending the transport company an invoice, or taking them to small claims court.

Many businesses MO (especially small businesses) is to deny everything to minimize liability and then hope you go away. If they are presented with an invoice for total damages costing say $300, they are more likely to say "Oh **** is that all?" and forward your payment to accounting.

Crappy way to operate, but protects their bottom line.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    FWIW, I understand your frustration and feelings, been there....but the bottom of my front bumper looks exactly like that after 7 years. Goes with the territory and will probably happen again. It sux cause its a new car, but you may be money ahead to buy a lip like Dez said, or try your hand at a little sand paper and touch up paint.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Yeah a Bayson R lip on ebay is under $100 shipped. Great quality and fitment on them as well.

I'm looking to get one for my 2012
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    FWIW, I understand your frustration and feelings, been there....but the bottom of my front bumper looks exactly like that after 7 years. Goes with the territory and will probably happen again. It sux cause its a new car, but you may be money ahead to buy a lip like Dez said, or try your hand at a little sand paper and touch up paint.
    Yup, me too. But within a few months mine looked like this. It really is disappointing on a new car, but it's in a place where no one will notice but you. Admittedly, it's less noticeable on mine because it's dark grey, but if I were you, I'd just buy a touch-up stick from Subaru and do it yourself. You have plenty of photos to continue to pursue a respray at the transport company's expense.

Mine now also has a curbed alloy. Plus, a scratched wing mirror from not being able to avoid a huge, f*#&ing portable toilet lying in the middle of the freeway. 60mph...BANG! I couldn't believe the mirror didn't break. It just folded in. All within a year. Eventually you just give up trying to keep it looking new

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Yeah a Bayson R lip on ebay is under $100 shipped. Great quality and fitment on them as well.

I'm looking to get one for my 2012
    I have a Bayson R and it's great. I scratched up my bumper pretty good on a driveway so I applied some touch up paint and installed the lip. One of the best investments since I've scuffed up the lip since then on driveways and stuff but it's there to protect my bumper so no harm done.
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB
    Cobb AP Stage 1 - SPT Exhaust - Bayson R Lip - 30% Tints

2006 Honda CBR600RR
    Jardine RT-1 Exhaust - Fender Eliminator - Integrated Front & Rear Signals

2001 Audi TT - Sold

I would seriously consider getting a lip at this point. My concern would be that a bumper repaint may be way more noticeable than the scrapes that are already there. As others have said, your front bumper will most likely get damaged in the same location again. I drove my lowered 2003 for over 10 years and never scraped my front bumper. I've nailed my 2013, stock height, twice in under a year, just on normal driveways.
    Ray
    2013 WRX Limited ISM
    2003 WRX Wagon (sold)
    2013 BMW X5 Diesel

UPDATE: Garfield is getting fixed!! Haha. D-day is 8/26. I decided to go through my own insurance because those terd monkeys at the auto transport just straight up ignore me now. Downside is that I have to pay a $250 deductible, but the upside is that State Farm is supposedly going to fight to get them to pay up. If they end up getting money from the transport company, I'll be refunded the deductible!! Cheers to that!

So, anyone know how long I need to wait for the paint to cure before FINALLY getting that clear bra? I'm going to clear bra the **** outta my car by the time I'm through with this whole process. Ha.

And I'm diggin' this whole front lip idea. I guess I should get the 3M paint protectant first, then have the lip installed? Or other way around? I wonder if the body shop would be willing to paint/install it while they're already working on the front bumper...

I Support ClubWRX
    30 days before clear bra

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Needs moar low... And legs...

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC