Had my heart set on a 2013 Accord V6 6MT coupe but now considering a WRX...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Had my heart set on a 2013 Accord V6 6MT coupe but now considering a WRX... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've never owned a Subaru, an all-wheel drive vehicle or a turbo-charged vehicle before. I currently drive an '09 Accord ...

Had my heart set on a 2013 Accord V6 6MT coupe but now considering a WRX...

I've never owned a Subaru, an all-wheel drive vehicle or a turbo-charged vehicle before. I currently drive an '09 Accord i4 automatic sedan which has become very boring and monotonous to drive. The one thing it has going for it is reliability...regular fluid changes, tire rotations and new rear brake pads is all it has needed in the last five years. It's now paid off and I want something more fun to drive. I recently had an all-day test drive of a new Accord EX-L V6 coupe with 6-speed manual. It has good power and a very slick gearbox. The technology features (navigation, blind spot camera, backup camera, lane departure warning, front collision warning, memory seating, etc.), other creature comforts and all around build quality were very good (except for an average to sub-par stereo) for a $30,000 vehicle. I made up my mind to buy one but the dealer could not locate the color I wanted with a V6 and manual tranny (Honda has stopped making the 2013's since the 2014's are due out in a little over a month).

I'm waiting for the 2014 Accord coupes to come out later next month but perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. The WRX's have always intrigued me but I shy'd away from anything with a turbocharger. I know the current WRX's are more about performance and fun-to-drive factor than luxury. I'm aware of the lackluster stereo, lack of up-to-date technology options, sub-par interior materials, etc. I'm also aware of the premium gas requirement, synthetic oil requirement, and average to below average fuel economy. Have any of you driven the current Accord 6MT V6 coupe? If so, did you pass on it for a WRX instead? What's your main reason? I plan to go test drive a 2013 WRX hatchback sometime this week to see what all the fuss is about. Are there any glaring concerns I should have with the current WRX's or Subaru's in general? Any reliability or expected maintenance issues that I should be aware of so I know what I'm getting into? I would use the car as my daily driver and have no plans to race it. I also likely won't do any modifying, at least not anything significant. Honda's V6's are pretty much bullet-proof and the stock clutches last for hundreds of thousands of miles in many cases so that's a selling point for me. However, I put on very few miles per year (about 7,000) so I doubt I'd have anything major come up for years to come regardless of which manufacturer I go with.

I greatly appreciate your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to ClubWRX!

I suggest precisely what you are currently exploring: test drive both vehicles and determine which fits you best. The WRX will offer in performance what the Accord does not: both in the twisties and straight line with the newer models). However, the Accord will be clearly superior in terms of reliability, tech, and interior quality.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

iH4
    Man, I was looking into the same exact scenario and bought a WRX at the end of it all.

BOTTOM LINE: The WRX gets all the looks, its not common to see around, it holds value, its AWD, its fast and fun to drive!

These were my reasons before I bought it and after owning it now for a couple months, I don't regret my choice. It's all that listed above and now after some upgrades love it EVEN MORE!
    Time for AWD fun! CBS 2013 WRX Sedan - SoCal - OC

The accord is a much more refined car while the WRX is a rawer beast and an excellent mod platform. If you do not plan on modding the car and you love the efficiency and reliability of your current accord I would recommend you to buy the new accord.
    2008 WRX HATCH W/ TORQUED PERFORMANCE STAGE 3.52

Quote Originally Posted by wrightway View Post
    The accord is a much more refined car while the WRX is a rawer beast and an excellent mod platform. If you do not plan on modding the car and you love the efficiency and reliability of your current accord I would recommend you to buy the new accord.
    Efficiency isn't my top concern which is why I want to upgrade from my lowly 4 cylinder to something more powerful. I want to look forward to my daily commute and back road cruises on weekends which I don't currently enjoy. I can afford the extra gas and maintenance and am willing to sacrifice a little luxury for more excitement, plus the practicality of the WRX due to the AWD in the winter months is a nice bonus. I'll give my impressions later this week after my test drive. Also, if I'm correct, the 2014 WRX will be just a minimal refresh of the 2013 model, correct? The 2015 will be the next major revision if my research is correct. It may be worthwhile for me to wait another year to see what the 2015s may have to offer.

Seems like you set your mind for WRX but not quite sure yet and obviously you want someone to tell you to go buy WRX. And let me be that some one and tell you to go buy WRX and enjoy it since you can effort the premium fuel

I once drove an Accord EX-L V6 for a couple of years with all the bells and whistles and the 6 speed manual. It was a nice car and everything, but it also was quite boring to drive, specially compared to the WRX. The WRX is WAYYYYY more fun to drive! When you go for that test drive I do not believe you will look back. And you can always have an aftermarket GPS installed to help make up for some of the lack of technology. If I remember right my Accord got in the high 20s for gas mileage so you wont loose a whole lot there. I just remember a lot of torque steer when I tried to get on the gas with it and mediocre handling. The WRX is going to blow you away and I would never think of getting another Accord again until I am ready to drive like my dad. Hopefully I have rambled and gushed enough to convince you

Quote Originally Posted by motocheme View Post
    I once drove an Accord EX-L V6 for a couple of years with all the bells and whistles and the 6 speed manual. It was a nice car and everything, but it also was quite boring to drive, specially compared to the WRX. The WRX is WAYYYYY more fun to drive! When you go for that test drive I do not believe you will look back. And you can always have an aftermarket GPS installed to help make up for some of the lack of technology. If I remember right my Accord got in the high 20s for gas mileage so you wont loose a whole lot there. I just remember a lot of torque steer when I tried to get on the gas with it and mediocre handling. The WRX is going to blow you away and I would never think of getting another Accord again until I am ready to drive like my dad. Hopefully I have rambled and gushed enough to convince you

Your argument is definitely compelling. I'm 36 and not getting any younger so I might as well live it up now before it's too late. An Accord is definitely a "safer" choice and might be a better fit ten years from now. Who knows...maybe my next post will be showing off a new WRX purchase.

If you do the reseach Subaru has very good reliabilty ratings. If you stay stock and use a good oil a Subaru will be very reliable.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Registered User Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steevereeno View Post
    Your argument is definitely compelling. I'm 36 and not getting any younger so I might as well live it up now before it's too late. An Accord is definitely a "safer" choice and might be a better fit ten years from now. Who knows...maybe my next post will be showing off a new WRX purchase.
    Whatever!! :-) I'm 46 in a month and wouldn't be caught dead in a boring Accord LOL
    Here's your choice: A car with no soul or personality or a car with soul and personality. Choose whichever fits you :-)
    Stink-Eye Mob #667

2011 WRX Limited (Joan)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Thor)
    1965 Chevrolet Impala (Clara)

Intro Thread- PICS

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by steevereeno View Post
    Likely you'd be surprised to hear that your age is nearly the median around these parts
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    In recent years I've had a WRX, an STi, a Charger SRT8 then an accord v6 6mt and now a Sonata 2.0T.

I still to this day regret getting rid of the STi. I'll own one again someday. When the time is right.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Formula156 View Post
    Seems like you set your mind for WRX but not quite sure yet and obviously you want someone to tell you to go buy WRX. And let me be that some one and tell you to go buy WRX and enjoy it
    +1

You came to a WRX forum, so that's what you want, or you'd've posted in a Honda forum.

Welcome! Your future community awaits...
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by Formula156 View Post
    Seems like you set your mind for WRX but not quite sure yet and obviously you want someone to tell you to go buy WRX. And let me be that some one and tell you to go buy WRX and enjoy it since you can effort the premium fuel
    x1000000

Get the accord if you just want to get from A to B. If you enjoy driving, get the WRX.

Recap: Get the WRX.

tl;dr: WRX

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    I still to this day regret getting rid of the STi. I'll own one again someday. When the time is right.
    How about just in time for next CretinFest?!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedette View Post
    x1000000

Get the accord if you just want to get from A to B. If you enjoy driving, get the WRX.

Recap: Get the WRX.

tl;dr: WRX

How about just in time for next CretinFest?!
    If I have a REALLY good year, I just might have one in time for CF. If not,then probably not. I love how you think though.

Ps then we could do some faux-rally racing on your farm that you'll have just in time for CF.

ps ps In fact.. we could move CF to your farm! How awesome would that be. It'll be bigger than Woodstock.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast