New guy here, looking for my first WRX...got some questions

This is a discussion on New guy here, looking for my first WRX...got some questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, Just a small amount of info about myself. I am 29 and have owned 35 cars, most were ...

New guy here, looking for my first WRX...got some questions

Hey guys,

Just a small amount of info about myself. I am 29 and have owned 35 cars, most were rebuildables that I would flip...none of which are Subarus. They just aren't that popular in state (Kentucky), or at least in my neck of the woods, but I have always wanted one and will get one soon. I have a bit of experience with turbos, I have swapped 2 sr20det's into Nissan 240sx's, so I'm not a complete rookie, but no experience with the WRX.

Im married and hopefully having a kid soon. I currently drive a 2010 fusion. Nice car but its a 4 banger with zero power. Its just not fun to drive and I have the itch for power.

After seeing a wrx in California I was hooked. I miss the manual trannys very bad and def miss the power and ability to mod. Hoping the WRX will meet all of my needs: Room for family, look good for work, and ability to handle play time

Here is my question: Is it worth it to buy new? I have seen a few, not many, 2011-2012 WRX limited within 300 miles of me. Now, I really want the leather, I sweat from playing basketball 3-5 days a week, MTB, running, and working out. I am very active and I hate to have sweat soaked into cloth seats, so with that said I really want leather.

Now back to the question new or used?? I fear that a used WRX, say 2011 model will be abused, almost out of warranty and a waste of my money. Im not experienced enough with the boxer engine and subie tranny to have an appropriate feel for them. I have looked at a 2011 limited with 25k miles that they are asking $26k. Would you guys spend the extra 4k and buy new or are there many concerns with buying used WRXs. I would also hate to drive 5 hrs and the car be ragged out. I have a Subaru dealer within an hour of me, however they are having a hard time locating what I want.

Thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    David

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! Honestly, it sounds like you've already made up your mind on the great "new vs. used" debate. Personally, I agree with your perspective. Knowing what I know about WRXs now, I'd never buy a used one, especially since used usually won't save me much money over a new one in the Pacific Northwest. Your area may vary.

While good used WRXs are out there, signs of abuse can be hard to detect in some cases (and is unfortunately all too common). If you decide to shop used, check out our buyer's checklist for inspecting the vehicle: Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

Best of luck! If you find a used car you're interested in, post the ad here and we'll take a look for any of the more obvious trouble signs, otherwise, enjoy a brand new one!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Thanks for the advice Rambo. Yeah I would prefer to buy new but I don't want to spend 31k for a WRX with leather. My hope is to only finance about 12k instead of 18k. Now, here is one I really like. I am pretty much dead set on the white or silver but would rather have white. It just looks more professional to me.

Cars for Sale: 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan in Morganton, NC 28655: Sedan Details - 345452984 - AutoTrader.com

The only problem is it is about a 5 hr drive. I would hate to take that trip and waste a day or two. Im sure I will find something closer eventually but not sure how long. I have been looking for about 3 months and no signs of what I want within a reasonable distance as of yet...bummer!

Anyone here purchased a 2013 limited sedan lately, and if so what kinda of deal to you get, how negotiable are the dealerships on new purchases??

iH4
    I had the same issue... bought new at the end. I'm mechanically inclined and modded a bunch of cars but honestly, for the money it cost to buy a used, buy new if you can score great financing (unless buying cash, its a no brainer) but at least you have peace of mind and warranty to back it up. Finding a "Certified Pre-Owned" WRX with their 100k mile warranty is "rare" and it'll cost you regardless. My insurance company offered me an extended warranty to 70k miles for a small fraction... look into that as well. Good luck!
    Time for AWD fun! CBS 2013 WRX Sedan - SoCal - OC

I just bought a 2013 WRX and spoke with over 9 different dealerships. I know that most are offering a $3300 discount off MSRP for the 2013's. I also opted for the 70k/7yr warranty.

I Support ClubWRX
    The car actually appears to be in good shape and no obvious signs of modification. Is there any way to get photo's of the engine bay?

Another consideration is that these cars hold their value very well. If you are concerned about whether a used car was beat on or otherwise abused, you can usually easily get into a new one for the same or not much more money than used, if you are looking at 11s and 12s as your used market, and depending on options.

I do think a used WRX is more of a gamble, given the type of person they might attract. I also always wonder about a car that is only 1-2 years old and already up for sale.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Alright guys, I got the car fax today it is clean. No accidents, all service records and the original owner is suppose to call tomorrow to answer questions. I did receive pics of the engine bay and it looks very clean and doesn't look like it has been touched. I would upload pics but having some problems...very annoying!!!!

Im thinking I can get the car for $24.5 out the door.

Power train still should be under warranty for 30k miles and 2.5 years. Does that include the clutch as well?

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    Welcome, good luck, and nice username.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sdo-SuperDave.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	115237
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Quote Originally Posted by Brazilnut View Post
    I just bought a 2013 WRX and spoke with over 9 different dealerships. I know that most are offering a $3300 discount off MSRP for the 2013's. I also opted for the 70k/7yr warranty.
    Hi--totally new here but saw your post Brazilnut. Im in CO as well--where did you buy? Im having the hardest time finding the car that I want:
    2013 WRX Hatch
    Premium (DXO)
    SPT Exhaust
    Pearl White or Silver

Any tips or referrals?

thx
    PP

I Support ClubWRX
    If you can make a trip to nj you can get a new one from me. check out the link in my sig I have a lot of happy customers here.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I wish I could sir! I wish a dealer out here would man up and do as you have done.

Thx for the offer
    PP