Subaru WRX Forum banner

New Guy: 2013 WRX

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  2012wrx00 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Proud "new" owner (Nov 2012) of a 2013 WRX four-door in Plasma Blue Pearl here. First time owning a WRX, though I've had my nose pressed up against the glass for a long, long time.

My previous was a 1995 Impreza LX Wagon, painted a color I liked to call "utility green". She gave me many good years - I even brought my baby son home from the hospital in that car. But I had to donate her after 200k miles and a harrowing alternator failure on the Hutchinson River Parkway at rush hour (those in the NY area will likely be shuddering right now). Alternator swap is not major as such, but let's just say it was the last straw.

So I've got 8K miles on the Rex and I am enjoying it more every damn day. The interior is cheap, the stereo sucks, the turbo lag is a bit horrendous - but GOD I LOVE THIS CAR. It goes like stink, the handling is just the right balance of taut and forgiving, the steering is feather-light yet arrow-accurate. The seats are comfy, it's great in crap weather... I could go on, but I'm preaching to the choir.

OK, one more - my 5 year old daughter loves it. She asks - nay, demands - that we put on some "noisy music" and wind it up tight in 2nd gear on the way to camp. Also, she picked out the color on the Subaru "build-your-own" website. She has impeccable taste.

Anyway, I've got the sickness now, so I figured I'd come here to commiserate. Please feel free to damage my marriage by suggesting best mods and track-day venues for a CT-based newbie.

Oh, and here's a pic. Thanks for listening.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Family car

See less See more
#3 ·
I second that, the Plasma Blue will be next WRX for sure. Welcome to the club!

As for damaging your marriage with mods, stage 2 (aftermarket downpipe, typically catless, MUST BE TUNED) is the best bang for the buck. Cheap and easy to install. It will help a lot with that "horrendous" turbo lag that you mentioned.

#5 ·
Haha I get what you mean, but trust me, you won't miss it!

I imagine your friend probably gave you some sticker shock when he was insisting on a tune. I don't know what your money situation is, but there are some affordable tuning solutions for the downpipe aside from spending the coin on a custom dyno tune. Your cheapest route would be to buy a tactrix cable for $180 (software is free, use your lap top) and a E-Tune from a reputable tuner such as Torqued Performance. ($80). The E-tunes can be flashed over from your laptop via a tactrix plugged in to the diagnostic port of your car. A dyno tune will almost always be better, but I have been very happy with the stage 3.5 map from TP. Just some suggestions if you decide to get a downpipe.

#6 ·
Thanks, that's a big help. Yeah I went to a shop in my area and they said dyno tune + Cobb AccessPort + downpipe would be in the neighborhood of $1850 all-in (with labor). I haven't comparison shopped so I don't know where that falls on the spectrum, but let's just say my wife could find other uses for that kind of money :)

#8 ·
May I recommend that you forego the AccessPort in favor of a Tactrix OP2.0? Ask your local tuner if OpenSource tunes are supported. You'll save $400.

#7 ·
The accessport is an amazing tool, it has a bazillion different functions. If the shop didn't mention, the accessport alone is $595 and comes with a few base maps for your car. I found the Torqued Performance tune to be superior, and it can be uploaded to the AP. I personally don't feel that a dyno tune at only stage 2 is going to make a difference worth spending the extra money for. But I am NOT speaking from experience.

If you were to buy an AP with a catless downpipe you would get it all done for half of what they quoted you. Assuming you can install the downpipe yourself. It is pretty easy to do in under an hour with a good set of sockets.

#9 ·
Welcome! Seems like everyone realized how awesome plasma blue is after I bought mine, and had only seen the color in a little lifeless dot on a page in the brochure. /wrongblueremorse

#11 ·
Nice car and welcome! Just bought one like yours. Do you have a spoiler on the back? Mine is the base model and came from the factory with a spoiler and blue interior foot well illumination. My kids always ask me to go fast so they can be pasted to the seat lol. Definitely an awesome color, it was love at first site for me. I've noticed how in the late evening and shade sometimes it almost looks black, then in the direct sun it has a purple hue. Enjoy!

#12 ·
Good morning OppWRX, nice ride! I'm new too, 2013 wagon in black. Love that plasma blue pearl, but when I saw the black one on the dealer's lot, sunroof... ah, love at first sight! Working on learning how to throttle on the gas to be as smooth as possible and dodge some of the lag. Not easy with A/C on this last week during a horrid CT heat wave, which may have broken today at last. Stereo is stock, but fiddling with the bass/mid/treble has it sounding not too bad at all. Have to say, and maybe I am just simple, but I don't need much more than the wrx, some good tunes on and the roads up around People's Forest/Barkhamstead, and I'm in heaven!

Enjoy the day!!

#13 ·
Stereo is stock, but fiddling with the bass/mid/treble has it sounding not too bad at all. Have to say, and maybe I am just simple, but I don't need much more than the wrx, some good tunes on and the roads up around People's Forest/Barkhamstead, and I'm in heaven!
First off, welcome...and great color choice. I also have a WRX in PBP...

Oddball: SmurfinWRX on youtube found a setting for the stereo that might help awaken the radio a bit. I set it to THROUGH mode. Sounds a bit louder than WAGON or SEDAN mode. Give it a try.

How to Make Subaru Stereo Better Louder | Subaru WRX / STI - YouTube

#14 ·
Good morning Jimbo, thanks for the tip! Just checked out SmurfinWRX's short video on the stereo. I am at work now, but will not be leaving the parking garage this afternoon until I fiddle with this! I have a Dead show in the CD from yesterday that is only half finished so should have good clean sound (a soundboard recording of a May 1977 show) to try this with.

I have enjoyed some of SmurfinWRX's other videos. There is one I related to where he is down on himself, feeling he does not drive his wrx very well. I nicked second gear this morning and felt quite the amateur, sorry car!! But, I always keep working on being as smooth as possible and just treat the car right. More fun than a barrel of drunk monkeys!

#15 ·
Welcome man! I got mine in June and rolled 3,000 miles already > <

Enjoy!!!

BTW: yeah, Cobb AP is a nice upgrade - I would seriously consider suspension (coilover, sway bars) to improve the feel and handling - goes a long way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.