Upgraded from a Z to an X--"new" 2012 WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Upgraded from a Z to an X--"new" 2012 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, welcome to everybody--this is my first post. I love owner forums, by the way, always a wealth of information. ...

Upgraded from a Z to an X--"new" 2012 WRX

Hi, welcome to everybody--this is my first post. I love owner forums, by the way, always a wealth of information.

For the last 2 years I have enjoyed driving a 2004 BMW Z4 3.0, but it was time to trade it in for something different, i.e., more practical.

I went with a 2012 Subaru WRX premium sedan (unmodded) from CarMax here in Omaha. I would have bought new but the style and color I wanted was extremely hard to find, and I knew I couldn't get much off the MRSP for one if/when it became available. It has 16K miles, runs great, and is in almost-perfect condition.

I had the Z (nicknamed Zed) for 2 years and drove 30,000 miles with it, mostly with the top down. It was a fun ride - one of the purest expressions of driving around, in my opinion, at least for under $50k. I found the handling to be the most accurate of any car I've ever driven, and the peppiness and linear acceleration to be more than acceptable for daily driving. And I liked the styling both interior and exterior. But, it had 110k miles, would only seat 2, and winter is coming - shades of Game of Thrones!

First impressions of the WRX: great engine and handling. There's a bit of turbo lag, but when it kicks in at 3-4000 rpm it's like a rocket taking off - accelerates much faster than the Z's 3.0. However, 5th gear (for various reasons I decided the WRX Premium would do the trick, no need to shell out $9-10 extra for the STI, plus harder to find anyway) is pretty useless for anything but highway cruising, unlike the Z4 which would go from 60-100 in 6th gear in a coupla seconds. The Z4 acceleration is more linear, while the WRX is more like an oxygen saturation curve--a steep ascent which plateaus.

The steering in the WRX, which I've nicknamed T Rex, is great in the corners, possibly the equal to the Z4, but on straightaways it has a bit of drift or slop that I am getting used to. Better than my fiancee's truck though. It's actually pretty low to the ground, so the handling feel is on a par with the Z4.

The cockpit is not nearly as nice as the Z4, but it's roomier, has iPhone integration, Bluetooth, a decent stereo, a moonroof, kick*ss climate control, heated seats, garage door opener, etc. And of course a functional backseat and huge trunk with fold down seats. The exterior - dark gray - has a slightly edgy, all-business appeal to it - I realize it won't turn girl's heads like the Z4. Though I did have a guy in an Accord want to race me at the light when I was driving it home.

So for now, I think I've got a great all-around car that will get me through winter as I put on the miles between hospitals here in the Midwest, and drive to Minneapolis and Madison and Boulder to visit my kids. And will go from 0-60 in ~5 seconds.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    ...winter is coming - shades of Game of Thrones!

Welcome to the club!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Won't turn a girl's head like a Z4? I thought Z4s were only driven by chicks?

I keed I keed!!!

Welcome! Nice WRX
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Welcome! Like the well thought out intro.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

i kinda did the same thing. I had a 335i before it got totaled and now i have a STI. Yes it isnt to good with the ladies. more dudes hit me up on the car then the ladies. But so far other then the cockpit compared to the bimmer i am loving the car

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Won't turn a girl's head like a Z4? I thought Z4s were only driven by chicks?

I keed I keed!!!

Welcome! Nice WRX
    Haha! No only white ones are driven by girls. All black Z's are driven by manly men. Although according to Jeremy Clarkson, BMW drivers are adulterers.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 07-18-2013 at 08:12 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Haha! No only white ones are driven by girls. All black Z's are driven by manly men. Although according to Jetemy Clarkson, BMW drivers are adulterers.
    There are two black Z4s in my office parking lot. Both are driven by women.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Peachypumpkincheeks

I realize it won't turn girl's heads like the Z4.
    Whaaaa?! The Z in Z4 stands for Zzzzzzzzzz. Now the WRX, that's a real panty-dropper! Quality, not quantity.

Welcome to da club, nice UPGRADE!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

I thought you meant a 350 or 370z. I was gonna say that's what I came from. Congrats though, it's a very fun car.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

Welcome!!

Haha! No only white ones are driven by girls. All black Z's are driven by manly men. Although according to Jeremy Clarkson, BMW drivers are adulterers.

Well put. He hates BMWs. I cannot wait to pick up an E92 M3 though in my near future...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Welcome. Go stage 2 then come back and see if the z4 is even in the same convo.

ConGratz on the car.

Sent from my Fone

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

Well put. He hates BMWs. I cannot wait to pick up an E92 M3 though in my near future...
    E30 or GTFO.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to ClubWRX and congrats on the purchase!
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast