minivan to wrx

This is a discussion on minivan to wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; We decided to get a minivan a year-and-a-half ago when our second son was born. Now that we don't really ...

minivan to wrx

We decided to get a minivan a year-and-a-half ago when our second son was born. Now that we don't really 'need' it anymore we are close to trading it in for a much more fun family vehicle. WRX wagon

I'm pretty familiar with performance oriented vehicles, but I'm more of an internet expert than anything else lol.

No real experience with WRX other than extensive reading 'bout 'em for the last few years. The wife wants one a year or two old to save on depreciation which makes total sense....my only concern is that this type of vehicle has huge potential to be abused it's first year or two and I worry about hearing things here and there about WRX trannies.

In my experience, subaru is more reliable than toyota and honda anymore...any subaru we've owned in the past has been really really good.

Think I should just get over my fear of sloppy-seconds? Or am I right to be over-cautious on a used WRX? Thanks, lookin' forward to goin' shopping soon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think if you can find the right buyer you can find a car that's been owned responsibly. I purchased my '09 at the end of '11 with 26k on the clock. The kiosk had full service history and was owned by 1 owner. Carfax was clean (which doesn't say much) and the body panels and paint were flawless - I have the unfortunate ability to spot body/paint work instantly.

Although everything looked good, I had a certified Subaru tech complete a pre-purchase inspection and give things the all clear. Armed with a few small things that needed to be corrected (new cabin filter, new air filter, replace 2 small interior bits.) I made the dealer an offer and it was accepted. I've had exactly 0 issues over the last 30k.

Main points:
    - single owner is best
    - low mileage (under 30k) is ideal
    - make sure service has been completed on time, every time
    - PPI (pre-purchase inspection) is important for piece of mind and negotiating power

Mine has been virtually flawless over 37K. Only issue was wiper inserts which tore and were replaced under warranty..

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    I think if you can find the right buyer you can find a car that's been owned responsibly. I purchased my '09 at the end of '11 with 26k on the clock. The kiosk had full service history and was owned by 1 owner. Carfax was clean (which doesn't say much) and the body panels and paint were flawless - I have the unfortunate ability to spot body/paint work instantly.

Although everything looked good, I had a certified Subaru tech complete a pre-purchase inspection and give things the all clear. Armed with a few small things that needed to be corrected (new cabin filter, new air filter, replace 2 small interior bits.) I made the dealer an offer and it was accepted. I've had exactly 0 issues over the last 30k.

Main points:
    - single owner is best
    - low mileage (under 30k) is ideal
    - make sure service has been completed on time, every time
    - PPI (pre-purchase inspection) is important for piece of mind and negotiating power
    Great perspective....I always am so impatient when I buy a car I usually skip important research and make mistakes. Gonna have to slow it down this time and really research a vehicle in question's history and go from there. On-time service history can tell quite a positive story. Thanks for the input guys.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to Club!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang7 View Post
    Great perspective....I always am so impatient when I buy a car I usually skip important research and make mistakes. Gonna have to slow it down this time and really research a vehicle in question's history and go from there. On-time service history can tell quite a positive story. Thanks for the input guys.
    Research is important. Carfax is not worth much since many things go unreported, but contacting service departments with a VIN is an easy way to check to see if the service has been taken care of. Knowing the service interval can be helpful in negotiation also - if you know a large service job is coming up, negotiate those costs into your closing price. When I purchased at 26k, the previous owner had just taken care of the 30k service, which put me at ease and avoided some costs a few months down the road.

I would recommend looking at the car buying program that this page offers. I got quotes on new cars cheaper than some used ones.