VW for 33 years, new to subaru
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on VW for 33 years, new to subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm anxiously awaiting my new WRX. I thought I had bought one paint, but the dealer called today and told ...

VW for 33 years, new to subaru

I'm anxiously awaiting my new WRX. I thought I had bought one paint, but the dealer called today and told me that vehicle was "not available" whatever that means. So I'm hoping to get my 2nd choice in color in a day or two. It's all good. I drove all the hot hatches, and the WRX won hands down. It wasn't even close.

I've driven VW Rabbit/Golfs/GTi for over 30 years. I loved the engineering, the performance, the handling. I hated the reliability and the VAG corporate policy of punishing anyone who dared to buy replacement parts. I've had VW parts desk supervisors offer unsolicited apologies for being ripped off on parts. In VW forums, they are always called "stealerships." I haven't seen that term here, or in other forums.

My test drives in the VW GTi was a joke; the car hasn't changed at all in over 12 years. The Ford Focus ST and MazdaSpeed3 were at least interesting. I had a Ford Pinto "rolling stove" model and never forgot it. The ST was way better performance than the pushrod mill in the Pinto but the idea of having a car controlled by Microsoft basically killed the deal. The ST was OK to drive but not nearly as controlled and powerful as the WRX. The Mazda had technically more HP but unless you drive the streets with the tach over 4k they mean nothing. The low-end torque and grip of the WRX won easily.

I sprung for the dealer fog lights even though I know they don't get the best reviews. I'm old and lazy. It's better to have fogs than not not to have them while you research the very best ones.

I'm planning on winter tires on steelies, 215/55R16 XL Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Blackwall unless I get convincing advice otherwise.

Team O'Neill looks like they will give me 2 days of rally training in their Imprezza for a hefty fee. I thought about training after buying the last Golf, lots of things have changed. The WRX with its AWD and other tech is like nothing I've ever driven, it seems to me that a few (very expensive) days being taught by pros would be money well spent.

I'm thinking of a CAI but not much else in terms of mods, at least not until I drive it few months. I welcome any opinions. Bring it on!
    Last edited by bizman; 07-09-2013 at 08:02 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! Where are you from?

Just a word to the wise. CAI is not exactly bolt on and go. You need a tune for that What is your objective in installing that? just curious!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

Why CAI right off the bat? It doesn't do much for these cars really.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Welcome!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Why CAI right off the bat? It doesn't do much for these cars really.
    The newer WRXs respond considerably more to an intake replacement than our cars, Michael. However, as mentioned, a tune is REQUIRED, which will either run you $600 for an Accessport, or $175 for a Tactrix, $175 for a WBO2, and 30 hours of reading to bring you up to speed on MAFv tuning.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Mine has been great so far. 36K. No issues what so ever..

Thanks for the responses and welcomes. To answer the questions:

I'm in the Boston area.

I was considering the CAI because of this article by C&D. They got 17 HP and 21 lb-ft without a tune. They also claim no void on the warranty, but I realize K&N can't speak for Subaru. I won't put on the CAI until next summer at the earliest.

I will probably add a trailer hitch sooner than that. I don't tow anything heavy but I do have a little 4x8 utility trailer that comes in handy. Max load is 1,000 lb, typically more like 500 lb hauling mulch or plants, should be no problem. I like the Hidden Hitch so that I don't bark my shins on the trailer ball when I'm not towing. Any experience with hitches on the WRX?

I do want a tool so that I can read any codes and reset them. The VW had VAG-COM. I've seen references to many tools. I don't want to flash the ECU, just codes and mapping new tire pressure sensors when I throw on the steel-mounted snows. What are the pros and cons of the different boxes available?

The first car came with all-weather floor mats, the second did not. New England winters put a lot of slush, salt, and sand in a car. What are good aftermarket all-weather mats?

TIA

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by bizman View Post
    Thanks for the responses and welcomes. To answer the questions:

I'm in the Boston area.

I was considering the CAI because of this article by C&D. They got 17 HP and 21 lb-ft without a tune. They also claim no void on the warranty, but I realize K&N can't speak for Subaru. I won't put on the CAI until next summer at the earliest.
    Please don't listen to that article. You need to tune for an aftermarket intake. Trust us on this.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Think about it this way. You only wouldn't need to tune if it performed exactly like stock (I still would tune). If you are getting gains them its not performing like stock. That power has to be coming from somewhere. If you get an intake get a stage 1 tune in conjunction. Good to see another fellow new englander!

zax
    Well, the problem is two-fold:

1.) If enough intake air restriction is removed, the volumetric efficiency of the motor will increase putting the car into potentially untuned load cells. This could be disastrous.
    2.) The MAF sensor is merely extrapolating the air flow at one position in the cross-section of the intake piping. It's a hot-wire design. Changing the intake will most likely change the relationship between the actual airflow and the MAF voltage, and this will need to be recalibrated (tuned).

Facebook me here

You've convinced me. I won't bother with a CAI until I run out the powertrain warranty.

Welcome.
    There is something called like Weathertech that seems to be pretty good for the floor mats.
    For code reading I'd recommend a ELM Bluetooth adapter and the Torque App Pro, adapter is like 25, app is 4 or 5, don't remember exactly. It has a number of functions, one of them is to read codes and reset ECU. No idea for the TPMS programming, most people either pay Subaru for each change or learn to ignore the TPMS thru the winter...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Any tire shop can calibrate tpms sensors.

Welcome to the good side =) friend.
    2013Dark Grey WRX Stock for now =)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.