VW for 33 years, new to subaru - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on VW for 33 years, new to subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 11blackSTi Any tire shop can calibrate tpms sensors. Sure they can, but for how much money and ...

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Any tire shop can calibrate tpms sensors.
    Sure they can, but for how much money and how much time?

I plan to buy a set of X-Ice Xi3's on 16" steelies with TPMS, and have the garage down the street throw them on when they change the oil. I don't know if they have a TPMS box, I intend to find out.

I own my business, my time is quite literally money. I saw one box that would re-register TPMS for $150 on Amazon.
    That means if the box will save me more than an hour or so over the lifetime of the car, it pays for itself.

Welcome to the good side =) friend.
    Thanks. The VWs were great, and are still well engineered cars. But 20+ years of being mistreated by stealerships leaves a mark, and VW corporate clearly isn't interested in selling to old farts like me. Not updating a car in 15 years shows a lot of contempt for your customers. The GTi was arguably the original hot hatch, now it is at the back of the pack. How sad.

I'm very happy to be joining the Subaru crowd. If I can swing the $, it would be blast to take the 2-day rally school in an Impreza.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru TPMS are more of a PITA than most other systems. Not very user friendly.

A couple of great threads with all the info you need. They all seem to agree that the ATEQ Quickset is the way to go.

TPMS Reset Tool - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

Tpms solved - Subaru Legacy Forums
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

i ran a perrin cai without a tune for a while with no problems? ive also read(no personal exp) that the K&N intake does not require a tune if the car is stock. same as perrins requirements.

i DO recommend a tune for any mod though. all i got outta my perrin intake was turbo sound. no performance gain at all. i sold it and bought a cobb sri(tune required) when i went stage 2 and i love it.

i would just like to emphasis. im not saying no tune is the right way to do it. just stating i had no problems running a perrin intake with no tune on an otherwise stock car

I HIGHLY recommend a tune. a few hundred bucks is worth it to be 100% sure your motor is happy and safe
    2013 wrx sedan-SOLD(awaiting 2015/16 Mustang)

2005 Mustang GT
    Racecar! Borla Stingers, Pypes x-pipe, Airaid Intake, FR Lowering Springs, Steeda Tri-Ax
    Previous faist cars: '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Subaru TPMS are more of a PITA than most other systems. Not very user friendly.

A couple of great threads with all the info you need. They all seem to agree that the ATEQ Quickset is the way to go.

TPMS Reset Tool - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

Tpms solved - Subaru Legacy Forums
    Thanks! That saved me a ton of time and trouble. This is a great forum.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bizman View Post
    Sure they can, but for how much money and how much time?

I plan to buy a set of X-Ice Xi3's on 16" steelies with TPMS, and have the garage down the street throw them on when they change the oil. I don't know if they have a TPMS box, I intend to find out.

I own my business, my time is quite literally money. I saw one box that would re-register TPMS for $150 on Amazon.
    That means if the box will save me more than an hour or so over the lifetime of the car, it pays for itself.

Thanks. The VWs were great, and are still well engineered cars. But 20+ years of being mistreated by stealerships leaves a mark, and VW corporate clearly isn't interested in selling to old farts like me. Not updating a car in 15 years shows a lot of contempt for your customers. The GTi was arguably the original hot hatch, now it is at the back of the pack. How sad.

I'm very happy to be joining the Subaru crowd. If I can swing the $, it would be blast to take the 2-day rally school in an Impreza.
    The place I get my tires changed does it for free. Takes less than 5 minutes. I'm not making this up, I've had it done at least 6 times.

KHP
    The place I get my tires changed does it for free. Takes less than 5 minutes. I'm not making this up, I've had it done at least 6 times.
    +1

Same here. The place I buy my tires from reprograms my TPMS sensors for free. Whenever I switch tires at the end of the winter and fall seasons I just stop by and they reprogram it. Done it for a total of 6 times already.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    +1

Same here. The place I buy my tires from reprograms my TPMS sensors for free. Whenever I switch tires at the end of the winter and fall seasons I just stop by and they reprogram it. Done it for a total of 6 times already.

id like to add from a tire guy's perspective the difference between calibrate and reprogram the tpms sensors. reprogramming(although ive no 2013 subies to play with yet here) is easily done with a simple scan tool and some time reading directions. they differ greatly between every make and model from any manufacture. that said, superb decision indeed to get right on another set of wheels/sensors/ snow tires. i wish more of us could have sets to switch out when winter gets nasty.

calibrating the tpms system means to actually get into the car(pickup, whatever)'s onboard usually body control module or receiving computer that controls the tpms information you see at the dash or warning light and changes the pressure limits high and low plus the warning thresh hold. we(my shop) cant do this as we dont have access to the factory diag tools to get into that so we refer a LOT of half ton pickups(mostly oilfeild company and farmer/rancher) that put ten ply tires on and have to run much higher pressures in their tires to a local full service shop that has the proper scan tools, a several thousand dollar snap on unit i believe similar to a Tech 2 scanner but bigger. otherwise they will have a high pressure warning that will not shut off...ever. lol. usually we send five to twenty pickups(and a few old police cars with pickup tires on them, DOH!) a week to them.

that said and all good n stuff, wait till the first bit of bad weather hits and you think....ohs noes, im out of town and without my snow tires. wait...no, no i think im good. Welcome!

That's interesting, I'll look into it. It may or may not work for me.

I was planning to order from TireRack.com, they've done well for me for the past 12 years.

Locally, Direct Tire won't even list prices on their web page, everything is "request quote." I call shenanigans.
    I have this policy of only doing business with firms that have joined the 21st century.

So I know to the penny what it will cost to get TireRack.com wheels/tires/sensors with a better-than-average balancing job, delivered to my loading dock. For the price of typing an email I might get TireRack to agree to record the sensor numbers for me and activate the sensors before shipping. Then I know I can handle the TPMS issues with a $150 box.

If I can find a local tire dealer who has competitive prices AND treats me with respect rather than contempt, I'll consider them. Right now that list is rather short. I'll shop around a bit. Maybe the garage that will be doing all the oil changes and non-warranty service can do this for me. They're not a tire place, but they seem to be fairly well equipped.
    Last edited by bizman; 07-10-2013 at 02:34 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bizman View Post
    That's interesting, I'll look into it. It may or may not work for me.

I was planning to order from TireRack.com, they've done well for me for the past 12 years.

Locally, Direct Tire won't even list prices on their web page, everything is "request quote." I call shenanigans.
    I have this policy of only doing business with firms that have joined the 21st century.

So I know to the penny what it will cost to get TireRack.com wheels/tires/sensors with a better-than-average balancing job, delivered to my loading dock. For the price of typing an email I might get TireRack to agree to record
    the sensor numbers for me. Then I know I can handle the TPMS issues with a $150 box.

If I can find a local tire dealer who has competitive prices AND treats me with respect rather than contempt, I'll consider them. Right now that list is rather short. I'll shop around a bit. Maybe the garage that will be doing all the oil changes and non-warranty service can do this for me. They're not a tire place, but they seem to be fairly well equipped.
    Do you guys have a Town Fair Tire down there? If so, they will match any online price, plus free mounting and balancing...and they will get your TPMS programed for you. Just a heads up. They also have no touch tire mounting equipment, so they won't scratch your wheels.

When I last checked Town Fair Tire, they didn't offer the Xice Xi3 or Blizzaks in 215/55/R16. Those are my first two choices; I'm looking for good traction in slush, ice, and snow in crappy New England winters.

They do offer the Firestone Winterforce for $121 versus $96 from TireRack. That's a heck of a price difference. Shipping from TireRack costs about $12 per tire, so even if Town Fair's prices include shipping it is still high. Matching is nice but why not just offer a competitive price? As with Direct Tire, I just am not going to do the "quote and call" routine.

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't believe they can't get the blizzaks. The one up here does. Also, you factor in the cost of mounting and balancing and I thought they were a great deal, especially with the price matching.

I'm going by what I found online at their web site, it might be different at local stores.

Tirerack charges $0 for mounting and balancing when you buy wheels + tires. I like to run smaller steel wheels in the winter since there are so many times I can't see the potholes and other hazards to avoid them. So I run steelies in winter and save the alloys wheels for summer. The prices tirerack asks for wheel+tire is very good, add in free mounting and balancing and it is hard to beat. Shipping adds a bit, but you pay that one way or another no matter where you buy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12