The first time I drove a WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on The first time I drove a WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The first time I drove a WRX was two days ago, off the dealer lot 275 miles away from home. ...

The first time I drove a WRX

The first time I drove a WRX was two days ago, off the dealer lot 275 miles away from home. I ordered this car (2013 DGM Premium 5-door) 8 weeks ago having never even sat in one before. I hadn't driven a manual transmission in 10 years. Luckily I didn't stall it as I pulled out into 55MPH traffic.

The car before this one:
    I've been driving a 2002 Trans AM WS6 as a daily driver for the past two years. It's fast and loud and practical for nothing. I love it. It corners like it's on rails. I take my 6 year old to school in it and run Continental DWS on it in the winter. Winter months can be tricky. Love is hard like that.

Why did I want AWD?
    My wife has a 2010 VW Tiguan front wheel drive. 200hp turbo 4 cylinder. Plenty of power but it's not usable in first or second gear if you really need it. Obviously the TA isn't going anywhere fast in the rain or snow. I'm talking about merging into Northern Virginia traffic, etc.

So after years of back wheel drive and front wheel drive and limited use 4wd (Xterra), I was ready for full time AWD.

Why not an STI?
    I think the STI hatches look great and sound great. For me the added performance wasn't worth the money and everything I read about the WRX said it was favorable for a daily driver not interested in going to the track.

Why the WRX?
    I was considering a Volkswagen CC or a Dodge Charger but one day early this year I saw a WRX hatch go by and I was like WTF was that? I've been hooked ever since.

Dealer experience:
    I worked with Clayton and had a very positive experience. He predicted the delivery date to the exact week it arrived. Everyone at Ramsey Subaru was helpful and friendly and I would not hesitate to go there again in the future.

Why did you buy a car 275 miles away?
    I'm married with kids. I don't get out much. A two day "road trip" sounded like an adventure. I wanted to support the dealer that clubwrx has a relationship with. The forum has been very informative and seeing real answers to common questions is invaluable.

Logistics:
    It turns out my first ride wasn't available the July 4th weekend. My second ride had to bail on me the _night before I left_ with brake trouble. Due to family obligations my 6 year old had to ride with me so we rented a car and drove up. We had a lot of fun and he did remarkably well on the longish return ride home (avoided long stretches of interstate to keep the speed varied). I would do it again but he won't be 6 years old next time.
    There is a hotel right across the road from the dealership and a Hertz location a couple of miles down the road.

What's next?
    First, get past the 1000 mile mark while staying out of the 4K+ RPM range. I ordered the standard radio and will be upgrading that to a (pioneer?) head unit w/ GPS and a backup camera.

Questions for you:
    It seems to have some hesitation right off idle. I feel like I have to rev it higher than I should have to to get it off the line (normal driving). Would Cobb stage 1 address this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice intro post. Welcome

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Welcome to the party and thanks for buying from jersey!
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

Welcome! Are you keeping the Trans Am? I've got a special place in my heart for F-bodys.. My first car was a '92 Camaro. I eventually traded that for a '98 firebird. Both were v6's.. But I've driven both the ws6 and the firehawk and they were a ton of fun.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! I too ordered from Clayton on 5/28 and to hear you got yours in 8 weeks makes me extremely excited! This Tuesday will be 6 weeks since order. I can't wait!

Great intro post! Loved the read. What are future plans? Leaving stock? Minor/major mods?
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum. Great post.

Having purchased from Clayton myself,I whole heartedly agree on the buying experience.

How high do you have to rev to get it off the line? I normally get it going at 1500 rpm. You do have to get used to the clutch.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Welcome!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to ClubWRX!

Questions for you:
    It seems to have some hesitation right off idle. I feel like I have to rev it higher than I should have to to get it off the line (normal driving). Would Cobb stage 1 address this?
    If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that this requires nothing more than a re-calibration of your butt dyno. A 2.5L 4 cylinder just isn't going to pull in the low revs like your 5.7L LS1. Plain and simple.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Welcome to ClubWRX!

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that this requires nothing more than a re-calibration of your butt dyno. A 2.5L 4 cylinder just isn't going to pull in the low revs like your 5.7L LS1. Plain and simple.
    On top of that your pushing 4 wheels instead of two

The wrx is great car imo. Stylish, reliable, and fun to drive. I found the sti was a bit much.. especially with wing on the rear, I hated that wing lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

Love love love F-Body's so if you feel the urge to post a pic or two of it I won't complain

Like Zax said, that hesitation you're feeling is probably something you will have to adjust to. These cars don't get "fast" until the 3.5k and up RPM range. That being said Cobb STG 1 will do a lot to smooth out the powerband in general. I would recommend looking into Torqued Performance STG 1 with Rom Raider and a Tactix cable though. I just feel like that is a much more personal tune than the AP can give.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    I just feel like that is a much more personal tune than the AP can give.
    Plus Eric gives a good beej

j/k
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by WS6roars View Post
    Yes, it does require more gas than most other cars I've driven to get it off the line. It's a very aggressive clutch - kinda' like an on/off switch. Stage 1 won't change this. It'll just smooth out the acceleration under WOT.

Cobb stage 1/2 made my wrx feel like it needed more gas off idle to get going without stalling than it did stock. almost like you have to push the pedal down 1/4 way before the computer says open the throttle plate. at least thats how it felt to me. its just something youll have to get used to
    2013 wrx sedan-SOLD(awaiting 2015/16 Mustang)

2005 Mustang GT
    Racecar! Borla Stingers, Pypes x-pipe, Airaid Intake, FR Lowering Springs, Steeda Tri-Ax
    Previous faist cars: '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    Welcome! Are you keeping the Trans Am? I've got a special place in my heart for F-bodys.. My first car was a '92 Camaro. I eventually traded that for a '98 firebird. Both were v6's.. But I've driven both the ws6 and the firehawk and they were a ton of fun.
    I plan to sell it in September. Just don't have the room to store what would be a 'summer' car. Yeah, I'll regret that as soon as spring comes around!

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    Welcome! I too ordered from Clayton on 5/28 and to hear you got yours in 8 weeks makes me extremely excited! This Tuesday will be 6 weeks since order. I can't wait!

Great intro post! Loved the read. What are future plans? Leaving stock? Minor/major mods?
    I was set on changing the base head unit from the start, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as people say. I mean I listen to speed metal on 11 all the time and while this is a bit muddy when it's cranked it's not that bad. Now I'm wondering if I should have just gotten the NAV and subwoofer from the factory...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast